Want to get into SS- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Want to get into SS

The more and more I have been riding lately, the more and more I am seeing people on SS. And, to be honest it looks like a hella lot of fun, and i want to get into it. The question is how should i go about starting. I dont has a SS bike, and I see a huge mix of people using old steel frames and just building them up, and pople with brand new SS bikes. Should i go shopping for an old light steel frame, and go from there? I dont have a huge amount of funds, its just something i kind of want to try out for awhile, so i want to avoid spending more then i spent on my FS bike. I tried using the search button, but i failed miserably. Where do you guys buy parts, what brands do you feel are best for SS parts, which should i stay away from. I am new to the SS world, and will take all the help i can get. Thanks in advance for any help!

mtbr member
    monocog.

mtbr member
    Any old frame will work, as long as it fits you. SS should build up light no matter what. You could probably find a decent old steel MTB with a rigid fork in your local classifieds for a couple hundred, strip off the extra junk and have enough of an SS bike to know whether you want to spend more.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterBreath
    Any old frame will work, as long as it fits you. SS should build up light no matter what. You could probably find a decent old steel MTB with a rigid fork in your local classifieds for a couple hundred, strip off the extra junk and have enough of an SS bike to know whether you want to spend more.

^^^^^^^^^^

What he said.
    There are tons of old steel frames around.
    Also keep an eye in the classifieds here and Ebay.
    There are alot of good deals on monocogs, units, & surly 1x1's . You gotta pull the trigger quick the good ones don't last long.

The new BIKE mag said the Monocog 29er sells for $470 complete, trail worthy.
    It's hard to believe, but that sounds like a sweet deal.

Later
    Jim

just another bleepin SSer
    I agree with the comment above - start cheap by building up a used frame. If you happen to have an old geared bike around, you can usually convert it to SS for under $100. The FAQs on this site have some god info on how to do it. http://www.mtbr.com/faq/ssfaq.shtml
    --
    Getting old, fat, and slow...
    自転車が好きだよ

banned
    deleted content
    Last edited by 29Colossus; 03-22-2007 at 05:58 PM.

WWYD?
    I repeat, monocog29er.

Order it from Performance Bikes with a team membership and get another 40 bucks back to buy a front disk brake or new headset. Guaranteed to get you into singlespeed.

Members who have read this thread: 0