Want to build a 29er SS with a Hammerschmidt 22/36 crank, anyone done this?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Want to build a 29er SS with a Hammerschmidt 22/36 crank, anyone done this?

Sounds like the frame has to be a ISCG03 or have 05 tab rings. The only Fra
    me I have found so far is a Banshee but meant for gears and no sliders. Could make it work but interested in a better set up if possible.

Thoughts? Thank you!!

widebody
    Mar 2004

Here's my custom dinglespeed.

Quote Originally Posted by wvbiker
    Sounds like the frame has to be a ISCG03 or have 05 tab rings. The only Fra
    me I have found so far is a Banshee but meant for gears and no sliders. Could make it work but interested in a better set up if possible.

Thoughts? Thank you!!
    Frame: ByStickel with Black Cat dropouts and HSchmidt tabs....
    22 ring with 24 or 25 tooth rear cog. I run mine for granny gear climbing, others run it the opposite for more downhill or flats speed with a much smaller rear cog.

Have fun.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Want to build a 29er SS with a Hammerschmidt 22/36 crank, anyone done this?-p3260002.jpg  

Want to build a 29er SS with a Hammerschmidt 22/36 crank, anyone done this?-p3260008.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Looks good! Have you been happy so far with the set up, reliable? Did you look at any other frame options? Thank You!

transmitter~receiver
    question: how is a bike with a hammerschmidt a singlespeed?
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ssumo
    I run mine for granny gear climbing, others run it the opposite for more downhill or flats speed with a much smaller rear cog.
    I had a HS on a previous bike, I took it off to run 1x9. But I did notice that in "overdrive," some power seemed to be lost. Do you find there's additional friction or inefficiency running it in overdrive all the time?

Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather
    question: how is a bike with a hammerschmidt a singlespeed?
    It is a singlespeed in exactly the same sense that an internal hub bike is a singlespeed. And possibly even in the same sense as a dinglespeed is a singlespeed. As in, not a singlespeed but having a lot more in common with a single speed than with a derailleur bike.

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by raganwald
    It is a singlespeed in exactly the same sense that an internal hub bike is a singlespeed. And possibly even in the same sense as a dinglespeed is a singlespeed. As in, not a singlespeed but having a lot more in common with a single speed than with a derailleur bike.
    it was just a bit of a poke.
    having more than one gear ratio flickable from your handlebar puts it much closer to a multi-speed (derailleur) bike than a singlespeed, or even a dinglespeed, in my book.
    i was just performing the obligatory, "it's not a singlespeed" ritual.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather
    it was just a bit of a poke.
    having more than one gear ratio flickable from your handlebar puts it much closer to a multi-speed (derailleur) bike than a singlespeed, or even a dinglespeed, in my book.
    i was just performing the obligatory, "it's not a singlespeed" ritual.
    Thanks for nothing. Just trying to find a nice simple set up to climb tight, steep, technical WV singletrack also not get dropped on the flats and fire roads. I know its not a SS just semantics.
    Thanks~

widebody
    Mar 2004
    Looks good! Have you been happy so far with the set up, reliable? Did you look at any other frame options? Thank You!
    wvbiker, I think the HS is killer for me. No problems at all so far. Runs like a ss. Yes there is some drag in "overdrive" the way I run it. Does it bother me? Nope. I was shocked how loud it is in overdrive when freewheeling backwards. Once on the trail I realized that I didn't do it as much as I thought I did. You have to watch your balls at first when standing and cranking up hills and shifting into granny. Shifts so fast it's unreal. Have not missed a shift yet. Drawbacks, finding a compatible frame, and it is heavy if your a weight weenie.

I bought my frame (and HS) used from the builder as it was one of his personal bikes. Did not have to wait the 3-5 month lead time. I had a medium Paradox and was the frame that got me hooked on short chain stays, but was a tad too small for me. I ran it ss with an Eno rear hub. This ByStickel had all the features I needed to run ss, geared, and Hammerschmidtable. It is my most versatile frame as I have run it rigid, FAT front, and currently as a 120mm hard tail.

Later dude

Dinner for wolves
    Thanks for nothing. Just trying to find a nice simple set up to climb tight, steep, technical WV singletrack also not get dropped on the flats and fire roads. I know its not a SS just semantics.
    Thanks~
    Fact remains, you posted this in the SS forum. Not the IGH or 29er forums. If the question is "who makes a decent SS friendly 29er frame with ICSG05 mounts?" you could have posed it as such and perhaps snuck through without upsetting the SS nazis.
    Responds to gravity

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    Fact remains, you posted this in the SS forum. Not the IGH or 29er forums. If the question is "who makes a decent SS friendly 29er frame with ICSG05 mounts?" you could have posed it as such and perhaps snuck through without upsetting the SS nazis.
    It isn't about SS Nazis, it is more about getting good information. Missing this is why we comment.

mtbr member
    .WVbiker,

Yeti big top has the tabs, plus it has interchangeable dropouts so it can be ran ss or geared. I have one and am in West Virginia, Morgantown. Pathfinders in Morgantown became a Yeti dealer to get the frame in for me. Actually the bike is at pathfinders getting a chain guide setup. With all the mountings on the frame and full length cables I will be able to switch between single speed and 1x9 in less than a half hour easy. Not sure how often I will do that but I like knowing I have the option sitting around.

If your close to the area PM me

Just realized I do not have any pictures of the mounting ring, if you look close at the first picture you can see it is there for the hammerschmidt.

Last edited by dblvanos; 04-28-2011 at 08:39 AM.

transmitter~receiver
    Thanks~
    Geez... like I said... poke, as in good natured ribbing?
    Lighten uP.
    I hope you get whatever it is you need.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Awesome, Thanks guys! May hit you up to check out the Yeti. I am currently running a fully rigid Origin 8 Scout with big 2.4 Maxxis Ardent Tires and my tubeless brew.
    Bike is awesome. Just flirting around with the idea, no worries;-)

Members who have read this thread: 0