Waltworks 11-32 cassette on King hub- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Waltworks 11-32 cassette on King hub

Have any of you guys tried this combo. I like the idea of having the flexibility of the small cog with the 11-32 setup. I contacted Walt (nice guy to deal with by the way) and he wasn't 100% sure if I could fit all 6 gears so I'm asking here before I spend any money. I know I'll probably get a little flak turning a perfectly good single speed into a geared bike but I'm planning of doing a some long distance bike packing trips with some geared friends next year and I know I won't be able to keep up over the easy terrain. This is not an everyday setup so I don't want to spend the money on another rear wheel especially after spending so much on my current setup. I'm going to try to run a 1X6 with a 36 chainring, ebay xtr 970 shifter/derailleur on my kona unit frame. Thanks guys

Karma Vampire
    I contacted both Walt (cheaper) and Jeff Jones (provided more background info) about two-ish years ago for a modified XT 9-spd cassette. I went with Jeff Jones because of the time he took over the phone explaining the setup. How busy that guy must be! I also felt he understood the CK hub application better at that time. I am sure Walt is a great guy too. Oh, I just remembered Jeff Jones provided the longer RD limit screw too.

Here is a link to Jeff Jones' blog using the search term "cassette":
    http://www.jonesbikes.com/?s=Cassett...ress&Itemid=58

Warning this is a Bike P0rn site!!!

Read all of the returned blog posts (don't stray). The advice he gave in the more recent posts was to avoid the Shadow and SRAM rear dérailleurs due to setup difficulties. He mentioned the same thing over the phone.

In the Jan 2, 2008 blog post you can see 6 gears on a Chris King SS hub.

I would be interested to know what is possible with a modified 10-speed cassette.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Actually before I found out about the Waltwork's cassette I contacted Jeff Jones and talked to him over email. He did give me a lot of good info but said he wasn't modding any cassettes for a while. I like the idea of being able to put a smaller cog on rather than being stuck with 17 as the smallest if I were to run a double up front I wouldn't mind it so much but as a 1X6 I don't think it would give me enough top speed. Walt told me he machines off all the front and rear material and I wouldn't think that Jeff Jones could do any more so I think ill try it out. Thanks for the help. If anyone else has any advise is appreciate the posts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonByers View Post
    Actually before I found out about the Waltwork's cassette I contacted Jeff Jones and talked to him over email. He did give me a lot of good info but said he wasn't modding any cassettes for a while. I like the idea of being able to put a smaller cog on rather than being stuck with 17 as the smallest if I were to run a double up front I wouldn't mind it so much but as a 1X6 I don't think it would give me enough top speed. Walt told me he machines off all the front and rear material and I wouldn't think that Jeff Jones could do any more so I think ill try it out. Thanks for the help. If anyone else has any advise is appreciate the posts.
    I run a Waltworks modded cassette now and again on a DT240. Walt said I could get seven gears, and it works with a spacer in back because of how tight the clearance is to the spokes--just make me nervous.
    Th thing is, I actually run 34t to 17t (one shot) and the 11t. I run an XT rear der. and it shifts fine--better than fine, actually. It takes a little dialing, but if you don't like fiddling with it take it to a mechanic.
    There is a large drop and THUNK, but it gives me plenty of top end and the jump back up the cogs has never been a problem.

Sorry I can't speak to the CK hubs.

Bb
    Yeah well, that's just, ya' know, like, your opinion, man.