Jan 2004

Vulture Cross

Vulture Cross:
    Columbus Life tubing w/ sliding dropouts
    Wound Up carbon fork
    Salsa Bell Lap bars
    Shimano Dura-Ace cranks (39x16)
    Hugi hubs w/ Mavic CXP33 rims

I have ridden this once so far in a race last week - which I ended up flatting 15 minutes into
    - so I don't have much time on it yet. Racing it Thursday night so I'll be going out tonight with Wade
    to get some more saddle time in and some more barrier practice - this is my first cross bike.

The 39x16 gear is great for the course our weekly series
    uses, which has very little climbing. I'll probably put on a 17 or 18 for steeper courses.
    It is somewhere around 19 lbs, with about a 4 pound frame. Look for me at all the Cross Crusade races with it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Not because I'm fast.....
    Sweet Vulture Cross bike! I have been thinking about having Wade build me a CX SS frame for about two years now, but have yet to order one. It's nice to see another picture. I have only maybe seen 3 Vulture cross bikes, but they have all been really nice. Enjoy the new frame.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Yummy!!!!

I can't tell you how much I'm dying to get my SS Vulture in the mail. I just have to keep telling myself that it's worth the wait.

Fahrrad fahren
    Very Pretty. Thanks.
    Fixing Frederick Coasting Carroll Wandering Washington

mtbr member
    man that thing is smoking......can't wait to try my first race this year.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Nice, Tim! How do you adjust the chain tension?
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by joneSS
    Vulture Cross:
    Wound Up carbon fork
    Salsa Bell Lap bars
    Shimano Dura-Ace cranks (39x16)
    Hugi hubs w/ Mavic CXP33 rims

I have ridden this once so far in a race last week - which I ended up flatting 15 minutes into
    - so I don't have much time on it yet. Racing it Thursday night so I'll be going out tonight with Wade
    to get some more saddle time in and some more barrier practice - this is my first cross bike.

The 39x16 gear is great for the course our weekly series
    uses, which has very little climbing. I'll probably put on a 17 or 18 for steeper courses.
    It is somewhere around 19 lbs, with about a 4 pound frame. Look for me at all the Cross Crusade races with it.
    Whoa, I was eyeballing your bike out in front of Toomie's just today! I was wondering whose it was. So that must also be your Two Circles that I see there on occasion.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Nice, Tim! How do you adjust the chain tension?

Come on Shiggy! You missed it!

Quote Originally Posted by joneSS

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    Whoa, I was eyeballing your bike out in front of Toomie's just today! I was wondering whose it was. So that must also be your Two Circles that I see there on occasion.
    I sublet an office next door to Toomies, so 95% of the days whatever bike is locked up to that rack is mine... The blue two circles, the black two circles w/ moustache bars, this, the green Chameleon, the black electra cruiser, the...

And the dropouts are pretty much like the VooDoo sliding drops with a set screw to keep them from sliding forward. I went this route instead of the EBB because of weight. At some point I'm going to have silly weight-weenie sliders machined with no hanger and no disc mount. If I do want to run gears (I have a full Dura Ace 9spd drivetrain that isn't in use), or a disc I'll just bolt on the appropriate dropout.

Rode the bike last night off road with 75psi to keep the snakebites away and was quite happy with the speed, but the 39x16 is a hair high for trail riding. I will swap it out after next Thursday's race.

Members who have read this thread: 0