Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    semi-evolved simian
    Reputation: Mine'sAPint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    330

    Good job! Virgin Mary ride

    I got home from work just as the UPS truck was pulling away. Mary had arrived! I wasted no time in getting her mounted up for the evening ride.

    First impressions were that the bars felt a little narrower than my normal 28" Azonics, once I was out on the trail I soon forgot about the new bars and just got into the riding.

    The hand position felt great both seating and standing. Log overs, skinny elevated stuff and log rides were no problem, the bars just felt natural. Having my wrists at a sensible angle really seemed to help in picking the front end up over obstacles. I don't always feel confident through fast turns, tonight though I had no such problems, it's a little too early to tell if I was just having a good day or whether the bars made a difference.

    I would say I'm definitely impressed, a big thanks to Brant for making this bar!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mine'sAPint; 05-10-2005 at 11:19 PM.

  2. #2
    Nat
    Nat is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    13,097
    Quote Originally Posted by Mine'sAPint
    I got home from work just as the UPS truck was pulling away. Mary had arrived! I wasted no time in getting her mounted up for the evening ride.

    First impressions were that the bars felt a little narrower than my normal 28" Azonics, once I was out on the trail I soon forgot about the new bars and just got into the riding.

    The hand position felt great both seating and standing. Log overs, skinny elevated stuff and log rides were no problem, the bars just felt natural. Having my wrists at a sensible angle really seemed to help in picking the front end up over obstacles. I don't always feel confident through fast turns, tonight though I had no such problems, it's a little too early to tell if I was just having a good day or whether the bars made a difference.

    I would say I'm definitely impressed, a big thanks to Brant for making this bar!
    I want to reach through the monitor with my 5mm hex key and adjust your stem alignment!

  3. #3
    (was) Big in Japan
    Reputation: TheSingleGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,006
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    I want to reach through the monitor with my 5mm hex key and adjust your stem alignment!
    before you break your monitor, look at the tyre again.
    Ride.

  4. #4
    Nat
    Nat is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    13,097
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSingleGuy
    before you break your monitor, look at the tyre again.
    Not working! Somebody take this wrench away from me!

  5. #5
    semi-evolved simian
    Reputation: Mine'sAPint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    330
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    Not working! Somebody take this wrench away from me!
    Relax Nat! The stem's fine, I just took the picture from slightly off center

  6. #6
    Cyclist
    Reputation: striker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    493

    Longer stem

    This might have been previously addressed, but I didn't see anything.

    Did you move to a longer stem since your hands sit closer to you now?

    Please continue to post your observations.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

    My cycling photos. Enjoy!

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pacman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,931
    Quote Originally Posted by striker
    This might have been previously addressed, but I didn't see anything.

    Did you move to a longer stem since your hands sit closer to you now?

    Please continue to post your observations.
    A longer stem is a band-aid not a fix, see

    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=99838

  8. #8
    semi-evolved simian
    Reputation: Mine'sAPint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    330
    Quote Originally Posted by striker
    This might have been previously addressed, but I didn't see anything.

    Did you move to a longer stem since your hands sit closer to you now?

    Please continue to post your observations.
    I continued to use my existing stem.

    There's no doubt that my hands are a little closer to me, but I have to say that they don't *feel* closer to me. Maybe something to do with the different wrist angle ? Kind of odd, but I definitely didn't feel it. I do think the steering was a bit quicker though, probably a result of the shorter effective stem.

  9. #9
    Nat
    Nat is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    13,097
    Quote Originally Posted by Mine'sAPint
    Relax Nat! The stem's fine, I just took the picture from slightly off center
    Phewwww! I can tell the boys down in Quality Control to head to lunch then.

  10. #10
    Mtn Biker Machinist
    Reputation: 1 cog frog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,019

    Brakes switched?

    Nice set up, I just got mine put on last night but no pics yet. BTW, are your brake levers set up opposite? ie left rear, right front? any particular reason why?

  11. #11
    semi-evolved simian
    Reputation: Mine'sAPint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    330
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 cog frog
    Nice set up, I just got mine put on last night but no pics yet. BTW, are your brake levers set up opposite? ie left rear, right front? any particular reason why?
    Whaddya mean opposite ? That's how they all oughta be

    That's how the brakes are set up on British bikes, so that's just what I'm used to. Plus I think it makes a lot of sense to have the majority of your braking power controlled by your stronger hand.

  12. #12
    brother on a mission
    Reputation: Greenfix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    553
    Quote Originally Posted by striker
    This might have been previously addressed, but I didn't see anything.

    Did you move to a longer stem since your hands sit closer to you now?

    Please continue to post your observations.
    I rode my Mary's for the first time yesterday. I did not feel that my hands were sitting any closer to me than they were with the risers, and I believe that is how they were designed. I think it depends largely on how you have the bars rotated in the stem (parallel to the ground, pointing at the ground, etc.).

    My intitial impressions of the bar is that it works well for New England style terrain. I am running Mary on a bike I have never ridden on the trails before, so there are a lot of other factors playing into how I think the bars feel.
    The bars gave good leverage on climbing. It was easier/more natural to manual the bike over obstacles and to get off the back for steep descents. They were very stable on a rocky technical descent, and they performed very well in rapid transition situations (from log/rock roll to a climb, or from a descent to a sudden rise or obstacle. Today I am going to ride a trial with some drops and one with some rooty parts. I will post my impressions when I have more miles.

  13. #13
    Mtn Biker Machinist
    Reputation: 1 cog frog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,019

    I'm slow

    Quote Originally Posted by Mine'sAPint
    Whaddya mean opposite ? That's how they all oughta be

    That's how the brakes are set up on British bikes, so that's just what I'm used to. Plus I think it makes a lot of sense to have the majority of your braking power controlled by your stronger hand.
    Should have noticed the british flag in your avatar, might have clued me in a bit sooner, along with the reference to the pint (and lord of the rings?)! I remember now seeing other bikes from the UK set up that way now that I think about it!

  14. #14
    semi-evolved simian
    Reputation: Mine'sAPint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    330
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 cog frog
    Should have noticed the british flag in your avatar, might have clued me in a bit sooner, along with the reference to the pint (and lord of the rings?)! I remember now seeing other bikes from the UK set up that way now that I think about it!
    Over here in the US that setup's commonly called Moto, I think. I guess that's how Motocross bikes have their brakes.

  15. #15
    brother on a mission
    Reputation: Greenfix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    553
    Quote Originally Posted by Mine'sAPint
    Over here in the US that setup's commonly called Moto, I think. I guess that's how Motocross bikes have their brakes.
    FWIW I have my Mary's set up the same way. I will post a picture once I get the kid pics downloaded off the camera.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,841
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenfix
    FWIW I have my Mary's set up the same way. I will post a picture once I get the kid pics downloaded off the camera.
    FWIW Mary's are happy with the brakes set up either way round ;-)

  17. #17
    brother on a mission
    Reputation: Greenfix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    553

    ... and if we just ...

    Quote Originally Posted by brant@on-one.co.uk
    FWIW Mary's are happy with the brakes set up either way round ;-)
    nice . I think the cable routing would be better if my frame had rear cable mounts on the right side of the frame (at the front), but I'll deal. I never noticed, do you guys set up your frames any differently for left handed rear brake lines?

    By the way I have had two rides ont eh Mary's, and I am very happy with them. I got them directly from the U.K. I have a couple of reviews on another board. I am waiting to get the pictures to post a review here. All in all it is a nice product. so far my favorite feature is that they facilitate hanging of the back of the bike on particularly steep descents.

    Cheers,

    GF

  18. #18
    brother on a mission
    Reputation: Greenfix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    553

    pictures and mini review

    I finally got some pictures (though they are pretty lousy) of my bike with the mary bar set up.

    Disclaimer:
    This is my new bike to me, so my impression of how the bars handle is shaded by other factors. I have never ridden this bike on the trails with any bar other than the Mary. My other rides have a low rise bar and a scott AT2 with bult in bar ends.

    Quick impressions:
    I have two rides on the bars so far. I have similar impressions to other reviewers. WIth these bars the bike is much easier to manual than my other bikes. As I wrote above, when the trail demands it, I find it easier to get off the back of the bike. I found the steering quick and precise.
    I will wait for more tiem in the saddle before making the final call with these bars, but I am very happy I decided to get them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  19. #19
    Nat
    Nat is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    13,097
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenfix
    I finally got some pictures (though they are pretty lousy) of my bike with the mary bar set up.

    Disclaimer:
    This is my new bike to me, so my impression of how the bars handle is shaded by other factors. I have never ridden this bike on the trails with any bar other than the Mary. My other rides have a low rise bar and a scott AT2 with bult in bar ends.

    Quick impressions:
    I have two rides on the bars so far. I have similar impressions to other reviewers. WIth these bars the bike is much easier to manual than my other bikes. As I wrote above, when the trail demands it, I find it easier to get off the back of the bike. I found the steering quick and precise.
    I will wait for more tiem in the saddle before making the final call with these bars, but I am very happy I decided to get them.
    Got to...reach through...monitor..and adjust...saddle...

  20. #20
    brother on a mission
    Reputation: Greenfix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    553
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    Got to...reach through...monitor..and adjust...saddle...
    At least you do not need an allen wrench. Just watch your knuckles on the edge of the screen.


    My bike mechanic said he put it on straight.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Similar Threads

  1. Midwest or East Coast Riders...Epic Help?
    By Giventofly in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 05-11-2005, 01:34 PM
  2. BTCEB Rides!
    By Dan'ger in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-05-2005, 06:11 PM
  3. Epic Va rides?
    By ncbiker in forum Virginia, WV, Maryland, DC, Delaware
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-05-2005, 07:58 PM
  4. Virgin Mary FSR
    By bikerboy in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-18-2004, 10:41 AM
  5. AZSF04 Spring Fling Pre-Gathering Organization thread
    By AZ Mikey in forum Riding Passion and Stories
    Replies: 97
    Last Post: 03-29-2004, 06:15 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.