Violently converted- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Violently converted

I've been coming here for years, but usually just to look through the parts reviews, but I thought you guys might appreciate this.

This season my longtime riding buddy decided to start riding SS. Of course, I thought he was insane but became increasingly concerned at the growing gap he'd put between us on climbs. BAH! It's all just a lot of talk, I thought. If I want to push that hard I'll just use a harder gear. Those bikes are for masochists and trend riders! Until...

...Moab. We went out for 24 hours again and everything was looking good. Two of us rode gears and two rode SS. I had the fastest first lap time, flat included. Hah! I thought. Where you at single-speeders! Then the night laps came around and my buddy starts crushing my times like its a frickin' walk in the park! Damn him! Daylight comes and we're all starting push ourselves hard to hit our 16 lap goal. As the fourth and last rider, I'm waiting anxiously at the finish line for my buddy to come in and set me loose on the glory lap. He makes it in with 5 minutes to spare and sends me out. Boom! My chain snaps right out of the start gate. Ever the generous one, my buddy hands me his bike with a smile and says this, "Remember....if you're not standing up mashing those pedals, you're walking. NOW GO OUT THERE AND MASH!!!!!"

Good god, I don't think I have the legs left for this, but screw it, I'll give it my best. It was amazing! I expected the climbs to be quicker, if not excruciating, but I never dreamed how differently I approached the DH. Aside from the few burly drops, I never used the brakes! I couldn't believe how fast I was going. I flew through rock fields and hucked drops that I never would dream of doing my bike. Somehow, I managed to turn a team best time on my last lap while riding a SS for the first time in my life.

Well, that was it for me. I've barely been able to sleep since I got home. All I can think about is riding one again. I've been wasting half of my work days reading reviews and learning everything that I can. Money is tight, but I want to buy one. I'm thinking about selling my frame and switching in a SS frame, but the voice of unreason inside me tells me to get a One 9. I have a big decision to make, but one thing is for certain: I WILL have one by next season if it's the last thing I do.

It's like I found Jesus or something......what happened to me out there?

A true convert,
    Gavin

Reviewer/Tester

Smile

You got it...the disease, that is.

It's highly contagious, too.. some of your riding buddies are likely to catch it from you, as well.

If it doesn't kill ya, expect to get much stronger..

R.
    It is inevitable ...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky 7
    I've been coming here for years, but usually just to look through the parts reviews, but I thought you guys might appreciate this.

This season my longtime riding buddy decided to start riding SS. Of course, I thought he was insane but became increasingly concerned at the growing gap he'd put between us on climbs. BAH! It's all just a lot of talk, I thought. If I want to push that hard I'll just use a harder gear. Those bikes are for masochists and trend riders! Until...

...Moab. We went out for 24 hours again and everything was looking good. Two of us rode gears and two rode SS. I had the fastest first lap time, flat included. Hah! I thought. Where you at single-speeders! Then the night laps came around and my buddy starts crushing my times like its a frickin' walk in the park! Damn him! Daylight comes and we're all starting push ourselves hard to hit our 16 lap goal. As the fourth and last rider, I'm waiting anxiously at the finish line for my buddy to come in and set me loose on the glory lap. He makes it in with 5 minutes to spare and sends me out. Boom! My chain snaps right out of the start gate. Ever the generous one, my buddy hands me his bike with a smile and says this, "Remember....if you're not standing up mashing those pedals, you're walking. NOW GO OUT THERE AND MASH!!!!!"

Good god, I don't think I have the legs left for this, but screw it, I'll give it my best. It was amazing! I expected the climbs to be quicker, if not excruciating, but I never dreamed how differently I approached the DH. Aside from the few burly drops, I never used the brakes! I couldn't believe how fast I was going. I flew through rock fields and hucked drops that I never would dream of doing my bike. Somehow, I managed to turn a team best time on my last lap while riding a SS for the first time in my life.

Well, that was it for me. I've barely been able to sleep since I got home. All I can think about is riding one again. I've been wasting half of my work days reading reviews and learning everything that I can. Money is tight, but I want to buy one. I'm thinking about selling my frame and switching in a SS frame, but the voice of unreason inside me tells me to get a One 9. I have a big decision to make, but one thing is for certain: I WILL have one by next season if it's the last thing I do.

A true convert,
    Gavin

That's quite an epiphany you had on that last lap. I hadn't seen many single speeders until at a race this past May. Personally, like you, it made absolutely no sense to me why anybody would put themselves through the agony of grinding only one gear on the climbs. Really, why would somebody want to mash a smaller ring when you can just shift and spin up a climb? Well, my buddy picked up an On-One Inbred, fully rigid cro-moly single speed. Its a sweet looking ride, so without even riding a single speed, I bought a Surly Karate Monkey. It may sound hasty, but I needed a change. My gearie is getting old (8 years in fact) and I wasn't getting any better. So, I bit the bullet and jumped in head first. My first ride, actually, wasn't even on trails. It was a 21 mile road ride around Lake Geneva in Wisconsin. Don't let me forget that it stopped at 7 bars along the way. It was called the Fat Tire Memorial Tour. You should check it out for next year. Anyway, I liked single speed even on the road, and yes, I did spin like crazy going down hills. So, now, I've taken it on the trails a few times and I just love it. It's just my legs and the pedals, no thoughts of shifting, only skill, momentum, and pain. One speed brings you down to earth and takes cycling back to its pure form. I now concentrate on the trail and the best line, rather than the right gear. Not only that, the overall ride is just more fun. The Monkey is totally rigid also, but the big 29" wheels are super plush and absorb significantly. I really can't tell much difference between my suspension forked bike and this one, ironically. Well, like you, I'm a true convert, and my fitness has improved, so that's also a benefit. Gearies will always be around, and they're fine, but single speed is seemingly a totally different sport.

P.S. Before you pick up the One 9, check out On-One or Surly. Cro-moly is a great material that really absorbs vibrations. I never thought I'd ride a steel bike again, but without derailers, shifters, or unecessary gears, the bike is really light and I couldn't be happier with my decision.

Recovering couch patato
    Welcome to the forums Lucky7!
    That is definately one of the best first posts of the year!

The bike you rode for that last lap, was that incidentally a 29"er too? That would explain the trust you had in that bike better than just the lack of chain slap...

The fact that you were that quick instantly on a SS bike you didn't know, tells that you realy have a feel for this, know how to play the game of momentum. You'll definately kick serious butt on your 29" SS.
    Before you overspend on a bike you didn't know you needed, why don't you just pick up a Fisher Rig and upgrade it with stuff from your trusted 26" bike(s)? Quick, cheap, tried, and definately not dull looking either. I know them to be terrific bikes, the frame is by no means a cheapo.
    The One9 takes it a step futher obviously. More or less the same geometry, just a lower BB and about a pound lighter for the frame.

Keep us posted on what you got!

Happy trails,

J

mtbr member
    Damn, I wonder if the SS will do that for me. I doubt it, but I want to see what the big deal is all about.

I just ordered a On One Inbred SS. I went for the 26in model, but they have 29ers also. The new frames have sliding dropouts. And yes the dropouts are vertical! This means it will work with gears or single speed. And a QR should be all you need to keep the wheel in place. The Sliding dropout will let you adjust the chain tension. The reviews on the On One Inbred SS have been outstanding in the UK.

I still cannot imagine climbing some of the sections where I ride in a 32:18 or even a 32:20, but what the heck. I have been intrigued by the SS thing for a while now and there is only one way to find out what the hoopla is all about.

BTW, I decided to go rigid, which is a little scary. After all, my Trek Fuel 98 Carbon Fiber FS is exactly at the opposite spectrum relative to a rigid SS. My wife still cannot understand why I would get such a simple bike, considering my current bike.

Well, I have several pairs of skis (skiing is my other passion), from long wide freeride boards, to short super-shaped slalom skis and even skiboards. I love them all. I hope to love my SS and continue to love the FS as well.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

mtbr member
    Yah, it's really odd....I never would have expected it to have that kind of effect on me. As for what I'll actually end up with, it's anybody's guess. I doubt I can afford the One 9 for awhile, so I'll probably just end up with something more affordable first.

Right now I'm on a '02 Yeti FRO with a brand new Fox Talas. Hypothetically, I could switch to an EBB single-speed frame and most of my components would transfer over. Would I be an idiot to totally separate myself from a geared bike all at once? Everybody tells me to keep my Yeti and buy a complete SS bike, but I can't afford to do that right now. I need to win 340 million dollars!

We'll see what happens. Thanks for the input, guys, I'll report back.

The devil is an angel too
    Mar 2005
    Yah, it's really odd....I never would have expected it to have that kind of effect on me. As for what I'll actually end up with, it's anybody's guess. I doubt I can afford the One 9 for awhile, so I'll probably just end up with something more affordable first.

Right now I'm on a '02 Yeti FRO with a brand new Fox Talas. Hypothetically, I could switch to an EBB single-speed frame and most of my components would transfer over. Would I be an idiot to totally separate myself from a geared bike all at once? Everybody tells me to keep my Yeti and buy a complete SS bike, but I can't afford to do that right now. I need to win 340 million dollars!

We'll see what happens. Thanks for the input, guys, I'll report back.
    Getting something like the On-one Inbreed, Kona Explossiff or Jenson's Zion frame would allow you to run gears or singlespeed with just one frame. They all come with der hangers and cable stops and either sliding drops or an EBB and are quite affordable -those frames are in the less than $500.

Or you could buy one of the more affordable singlespeeds (like a Redline Monocog) and keep the Yeti. If all you want is to make sure you like it, that would be an option I'd consider.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

SingleSpeed

Guys, don't forget that the Karate Monkey is probably the most versatile bike you'll ever buy. You can rig it up with gears, run all the cables, or anything else you'd like. Heck, its a really popular cyclocross bike for its versatility and strength. Not only is it my main mountain bike, but if I ever need a commuter bike, its perfect. Don't get me wrong, the On One is sweet bike, and I'm sure the others are too, but the Karate Monkey is just sweet. Check out the customer reviews. You'll be hard pressed to find somebody that didn't just love their Monkey. It can do almost anything, so its at least worth looking into!

Glad to Be Alive

A true convert,
    Gavin

might be because he has a lighter bike than you....maybe it is just time to get a new bike with better components
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

jl
    climb
    Gavin,

Where you riding a gray(?) SS with a vicious fork. I had a SS pass me on the last lap, and then I passed him on the final descent, and then at the top of the hill before the final sprint I said, "take it." He said, "You're the one with gears!"

I was wondering if that was you, it would of been about the right time...
    We don't need more to be thankful for; we just need to be more thankful.

mtbr member

That's a great story

Now just strip your current bike of it's gears and make a quick conversion; and have a simple ceremony to bury the no-longer-needed gears in your back yard (R.I.P.).

mtbr member
    Nope, not me. I was on a green Giant.

Karate Monkeys are cool bikes, if not a little heavy. I'm definitely considering one. And I've decided to keep my Yeti around. I did a big climb ride yesterday and realized that it might be smart to train myself into a single speed before it's my only choice. All the rides around here are straight climb for the first hour, they'd be a hard acclimation for a 1st time SS. Besides, having two bikes is never a bad thing.....

just have fun!

Good job! a leap of faith

I can definitely relate to your feeling. I just built my first SS and took the inaugural ride today. Thing is, I had never even ridden a SS before, but I was sick of stuff always going wrong with my bike so I ripped it apart and built a singlespeed from those parts and an old Klein frame (details on the 'Post your singlespeed' thread). Now my only mountain bike has one gear. I was a bit nervous taking it out today and hoping I liked it, but as luck (fate?) would have it, it was a blast and I'm totally hooked!

Recovering couch patato
    Getting the choice between 26" and 29" On-One singlespeeds and getting the 26"? Okay, you're saving out a new wheelset to buy maybe, but otherwise you're missing out! Much of the magic from SS comes hand in hand with 29", since it's been available. Oftentimes reviewers of an amazing SS demo ride almost forget to mention it was a 29", which may just have been the magic ingredient that by itself doesn't affect pace as obviously, but together they work miracles. IMHO though.
    I really want the On-One 29", I want to try the 47mm offset fork which so appeals to me.

Members who have read this thread: 0