Vicious Cycles or Spicer rigid fork--max tire size?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Vicious Cycles or Spicer rigid fork--max tire size?

I'm interested in replacing the stock fork on my Surly 1x1 with either a Spicer titanium or a Vicious Cycles steel (haven't decided between disc or v-brakes yet--live in TX and don't ride much in the mud). I wrote Gene at Spicer to ask him about fitting a 2.4 or 2.5 inch tire in the titanium fork and he warned me that it might be a little tight. He measured one of the forks and it came out to 2.97 inches. I'm sure it'll probably fit my tire (Kenda Nevegal 2.5 but won't give me much clearance.

Does anyone have any "real-world" tire fitting experience with either of these forks or simply know the maximum tire width that'll fit in a VC fork? I wrote Vicius Cycles at the email address on their website but it bounced back.

Any other nice rigid forks I'm overlooking? My goal is to pare off some weight and gain a little bit of compliance up front *without* going to a shock.

Thanks in advance for any insights,

Phil

34N 118W

just went through this....

I picked up a disc-only Vicious from MTBR classifieds for my new Curtlo, then shipped it to be painted with the bike. Turned out to be not fat enough for what size tire I would like to run on a rigid fork (2.4+). Doug confirmed for me that running a 2.5 would be very tight so he offered to build one instead, with 3.0" width.

I just sold the Vicious on eBay. I think Carl @ Vicious rates them as having clearance for a 2.3 tire. Guess I shoulda checked that first Otherwise they're great looking forks.

I don't know if you'd gain any compliance with the Vicious over the Surly? Curtlo can build you a custom fork for less than a new Vicious, FYI. Or On-One? Sycip?

good luck,
    HW

Quote Originally Posted by pswann
    I'm interested in replacing the stock fork on my Surly 1x1 with either a Spicer titanium or a Vicious Cycles steel (haven't decided between disc or v-brakes yet--live in TX and don't ride much in the mud). I wrote Gene at Spicer to ask him about fitting a 2.4 or 2.5 inch tire in the titanium fork and he warned me that it might be a little tight. He measured one of the forks and it came out to 2.97 inches. I'm sure it'll probably fit my tire (Kenda Nevegal 2.5 but won't give me much clearance.

Does anyone have any "real-world" tire fitting experience with either of these forks or simply know the maximum tire width that'll fit in a VC fork? I wrote Vicius Cycles at the email address on their website but it bounced back.

Any other nice rigid forks I'm overlooking? My goal is to pare off some weight and gain a little bit of compliance up front *without* going to a shock.

Phil
    Last edited by Hollywood; 02-16-2004 at 03:07 PM. Reason: tpyo

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Phil
    My vicious will take a 2.3 at best, luckily I don't like bigger tires. Its nice and stiff yet still compliant on the rocky CO. trails I ride. The Spicer will take a bigger tire than the vicious (2 .5 might fit, it will be close), but it is a very light (1.5 lb) compliant fork that doesn't really need a huge tire. It will be a much more comfortable ride than your Surly. I actually just got a deal on a new frame and switched to disc and thats why I got the vicious. I am now selling my v brake spicer for 150.00 if you are interested, its 3 months old and in perfect condition. You can e-mail me at gnalllib@hotmail.com.

mtbr member

Spicer ti fork clearance

Does anyone have any "real-world" tire fitting experience with either of these forks...

Phil
    phil,

i've got a Spicer ti fork (non-disc) and it's performed great in all kinds of conditions. it's light & simple, no surprises. it's true that it doesn't have a HUGE amount of clearance but i've run WTB 2.4's (Moto and Mutano) and 2.5's (Weirwolf) and they fit OK - provided that your wheel is true! sadly, i didn't have enough room to run a top-secret Specialized 3.0 Big Hit that a buddy gave me. i rode that tire on another bike and it REALLY gives you the cush! i'd say, based on what you've said that you're lookin for, the Spicer would be a good choice. but good luck with whatever you choose.
    eddie would go.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    pswann,

My Kelly Disc can swallow a Nokian Gazzalodi 2.5" (which actually measures 2.5" on my Velocity Aeroheat rim). There is still .5" on each side, measuring from the outermost knobs to the inside of the fork. That'salotta room.

I think this fork is slightly heavier than the two you inquired about, but I love being able to fit a freaky DH tire (inflated to 10 psi) in there.

Phil

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Vicious with v brakes

A 2.3 is as wide as the vicious is rated. I had to switch back from Avid brakes to XT to get some extra clearance (the fact that they keep the pad parallel to the fork arms when wide open gains a little room). Tires I've used are as follows:
    Continental Vertical Pros 2.3 (actually much more narow)
    Nokian nbx 2.3
    WTB Mutanoraptor 2.24 race
    Maxxis High Roller 2.3
    I've only ridden the Nokians once but really like them.
    I don't have any experience with any other rigid fork but I really like the vicious.
    Albert

surlysoul
    Quote Originally Posted by Drevil
    pswann,

My Kelly Disc can swallow a Nokian Gazzalodi 2.5" (which actually measures 2.5" on my Velocity Aeroheat rim). There is still .5" on each side, measuring from the outermost knobs to the inside of the fork. That'salotta room.

I think this fork is slightly heavier than the two you inquired about, but I love being able to fit a freaky DH tire (inflated to 10 psi) in there.

I have been very happy with my kelly disc also lots of clearance pretty comfy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

remember that manufacturers stated tire width is rarely the actual width

A look at Shiggys tire sight is instructive. I was looking for a rear tire in the 2.3 to 2.4 range. Some manufactuers almost tell the truth, while others are up to 2/10ths inch over stated. Example: I have a Maxxis Mobster 2.7 inch in my Surly fork, but it actually measures 2.5 inches at the widest point, the outside lugs. One advantage to the Surly is you can mount a very large DH tire, run it at low pressure and get useful shock absorption.

The Top Cap Guy
    As Hu-Man said - check Shiggy's site for actual tire widths.. now I was able to run a Hutchinson Scorpion 2.3 on my Spicer Ti disc only fork with no trouble... and the Hutchinson 2.3 is bigger than the 2.3 size...

I like the looks of the Vicious Cycles fork best in my opinon but you need to get the one that fits your needs best!

FF
    "If I'm leading, I'm bleeding."

mtbr member

Thanks for all the great info!

Thanks, everyone, for the great suggestions. Still not sure what I'm going to get, but you've given me lots of good information to help me figure it out.

I'll report back when the deed is done.

Many thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    How are people getting on with their spicer titanium forks? i really wanted one but then saw some really alarming pictures of snapped fork legs. Apparently they've been beefed up since?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the4thdeadmonk
    How are people getting on with their spicer titanium forks? i really wanted one but then saw some really alarming pictures of snapped fork legs. Apparently they've been beefed up since?
    I have 2 Spicer Ti forks, an old v-brake version that can take a Gazzaloddi 3.0, and the newer disc version that can only take ~2.6" tire. Both have been fine so far, both have had thier fair share of rock gardens and frozen hoof & foot marked trails, drops, front wheelies, etc.. So far so good.