Very important- Mtbr.com

Thread: Very important

mtbr member

Very important

I know I keep making these posts, but I'm not even getting any offers on my bike. I'm sure people will chime in (this time) telling me why, but even so, again, click here to view my bike.

Thanks all and please, any suggestions are welcome.

Cheers

KavuRider
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    I think he was born around the time of the Chernobyl fallout which would explain a lot.

bob
    mtbr member

My guess

My guess on the slow sale is your bike is a very specific ride. There are only but so many people who would want it. It has a small target audience. Not that it's a bad bike, just very eclectic.

Good luck!

mtbr member

Dude, thank you!

That does make me feel better. Yeah, it is very electic, especially with the short crankarms. I'm selling it for less than half of what I have put into it and its not even a year old! But that's the way it works, so I'm not complaining.

Cheers,

KavuRider
    I think he was born around the time of the Chernobyl fallout which would explain a lot.

All 26.5" all the time!
    One word: Custom

Meaning: custom for you.

Not many people want someone else's dream bike.

those are Rollercams...
    Quote Originally Posted by bob
    My guess on the slow sale is your bike is a very specific ride. There are only but so many people who would want it. It has a small target audience. Not that it's a bad bike, just very eclectic.

Good luck!
    bob pretty much nailed it. It's a nice bike and I like it and I'm sure others do but most people who ride a bike like this have built one based on what they prefer and what works best for them, changing and tweaking the ride as they log more and more miles in the saddle.

Truly a wealth of useless information.

http://blackdogadventureteam.blogspot.com/

R I D E S T E E L
    yeah, those cranks are shorter than what i raced on the track. but, i can't imagine that deterring anyone. best of luck with the sale. if it doesn't go here, try the big auction site.

mtbr member

I'm tempted to part it out BUT

I'm afraid that if I do, I won't get the total I'm asking.

Yeah, I had bought it with a strange parts mix to begin with (my LBS's experiment) and then started changing parts. The way its built now, its a freakin' blast to ride.

Why am I selling? I need the money more than the bike right now.

Thanks all for the feedback. Oh yeah, and I've listed on Ebay twice now, I was hoping to save some money and sell it here instead.

Cheers,

KavuRider

pepito
    Jun 2004
    parting it out would probably make the most sense.

-or-

you could swap out some parts for more convential parts (standard drop bar, gears, skinny slicks, etc), provided you have those parts laying around, and list the sucker in the RBR classified as a bad ass cyclo-tourer.

as others have said, although a sweet bike, it's probably not suited to many potential buyers.

the_dude
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling" ~James E. Starrs

mtbr member
    given craigslist a try?

Medium?

$120 shipping?

What's up with that? You driving it over in your suv? FedEx is $35 to anywhere.

It looks like fun. Too bad you're selling it.

75% Mountain cycle

Yes - Fed Ex ground is the way to go

UPS is stealing our money. I shipped a compete DH bike 2000 miles for $40 with Fed Ex Ground right before Christmas.

Stick it to the man - Fed Ex Rules.

mtbr member

my guess

Very small frame size, so very limited market.

Expensive for what task it performs. You could almost build up a new CrossCheck for less than your asking

$120 shipping would scare me away.

Odd configuration

Part it out on ebay for your maximum dollar!

Cool bike, just too far off the path for most.

MC

Quote Originally Posted by KavuRider
    I know I keep making these posts, but I'm not even getting any offers on my bike. I'm sure people will chime in (this time) telling me why, but even so, again, click here to view my bike.

Thanks all and please, any suggestions are welcome.

Cheers

KavuRider

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I think most everyone has covered it already, but I did want to say that I think it's a wicked cool bike and I look at it every time you post it. However, it's also too small for me and too big for my wife.

As far as parting it out - in my experience, I actually can get more money out of a bike by parting it out than keeping it whole. It's a real pain, but generally worth it if you have the time and patience.

Am I getting too bulky?
    My take is that you're asking way too much for what it is, a used niche bike that unfortunately isn't that spectacular, despite the money you put into it, and would never be a primary ride for most people. No doubt it would be a fun ride for the right person, but ...

Drop the price down to $750 and get real with the shipping charges. Nobody wants to pay you for the time it takes you to box it up and drop it off at Kinkos. Sorry if that came across as harsh, but you asked.
    I gotta roll, can't stand still, got a flame in my heart, can't get my fill.

mtbr member

Shipping charges

I can't drop the price that low, that's out of the question. I don't like even dropping it to $900, but I want it to go fast.

As for the shipping, I'm trying to cover myself because recently, I've been quoting prices much lower (I do a lot of Ebay selling) and I've ended up having to spend out of my profit to cover shipping and packaging. I can't keep that up. Plus, UPS charged me almost $100 to package and ship my old DH frame (only the frame!). Yeah, I'm probably getting ripped, but that's still even cheaper than having my LBS do it (they charged me $120 to pack and ship my other bike to Vermont). $40? Sorry, I don't believe you.

So...well, I guess parting it out is the answer. Thanks everyone for your input!

Cheers,

KavuRider

mtbr member

Oh you had to go and say that!

Now I'm considering keeping it...

The biggest problem I have with it is I need to find a stem that has enough rise to put the Midge bars in the correct position (a la Matt Chester). I DO NOT want to go custom, what are my options?

Cheers,

KavuRider

mtbr member

Nope, the parts are gone...

The LBS I purchased it from had originally built the bike up with Dura Ace components. I sold those for quite a bit actually. I was planning to keep this bike around, but the real deal is that I am being offered another bike right now for a price that I can't refuse and so this one has to go.

Cheers,

KavuRider

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    just another idea...

since you proably strpped the whole geared drivetrain/shifeters off and have them sitting around, why not offer up with the original components with it as well.

that way someoone could convert it back to a geared corssbike if they so chose.

the problem i see is this, i could build a brand new singlspeed crosscheck for the money you are charging. either part it out or get ready to take the hit and sell it for market value...

Sofa King We Todd Did
    Day late and a dollar shot. I remember when you built this up. And to be honest, I can't believe it's still for sale. The bike is a great build, it's exactly my size and I would definitely have a use for it. Unfortunately, I've ended up with two fresh new bikes over the holidays and adding this to the mix would only result in divorce papers all around.

R I D E S T E E L
    As for packing, you can get a bike box for free from just about any shop and pack it yourself. Have some bubble wrap, extra card board and pipe insulation around for the task, then get to it. Not that big a deal, just be creative and take the time to pack everything well.

Then, yes, you can ship for under $50 to most anywhere in the states. Unless you use a giant box. Another option would be to ship the frame/fork and the parts/wheels seperately.

Best of luck, tough spot to be in.

mtbr member

Figures...

Don't it? Haha.

Wow, I really got ripped by UPS---bastids. Oh well. I think I'm going to be dropping the shipping price down.

Cheers,

KavuRider

R I D E S T E E L
    Yeah, shipping can suck. Do this, go out and find a box that will work. Then, measure it, know the approx. combined weight of your bike and the box. Then get online and quote it to a couple places through a couple different carriers. (you can get zip codes online as well...google it) Pretty easy and well worth the effort so you don't get screwed.

I'm sure you knew all if this nonsense, but some folks don't think to actually go through the effort. Cheers!

mtbr member

That's exactly what I need to do

Your spot on there.

I might end up just parting the sucka out on Ebay like a previous poster mentioned. Sucks, I just used up the boxes the new parts were sent in to ship out the old ones! D'oh!

I do have to say though, Kinkos can be a gold mine for shipping boxes...loaded up the Xtracycle with a ton of 'em a month ago.

Cheers

KavuRider

banned
    Apr 2004

He's got high apple pie in the $ky

hopes.

The Top Cap Guy
    As for the shipping, I'm trying to cover myself because recently, I've been quoting prices much lower (I do a lot of Ebay selling) and I've ended up having to spend out of my profit to cover shipping and packaging. I can't keep that up. Plus, UPS charged me almost $100 to package and ship my old DH frame (only the frame!). Yeah, I'm probably getting ripped, but that's still even cheaper than having my LBS do it (they charged me $120 to pack and ship my other bike to Vermont). $40? Sorry, I don't believe you.
    You need to find some better shipping boxes - with UPS size is everything. Which Oversized class it fits into makes a HUGE difference on the price. I ship quite a bit and I've found that you can usually ship wheels seperately for less than together. Like on them if the box is less than 84 inches in girth - its a regular box (which most wheel boxes are) as soon as you put 2 together - its Oversized. I just got a complete Lemond Poprad shipped to me from Virgina to Ohio and the ground on it was $21.08 but I got it 2nd day air (before a weekend and my hair was on fire) for 80.21 - so it can be done. The key is box size.

Hope this helps some.
    FF
    "If I'm leading, I'm bleeding."

mtbr member

I understand what you are saying

I see where $40 is feasible now.

I'm gonna hit up my LBS for some boxes!

Thanks all

KavuRider

No Justice = No Peace

What they said

I paid $800 for my Dean steel cross bike with campy shifters and derailleurs, XT canti brakes and two sets of wheels...

I parted most everything on Ebay and built it up again with the stuff I wanted for a grand total of about $950-$1000.

900 + 120 = New bike not used. Not SingleSpeed
    "Welcome to my underground lair...."

mtbr member

Wait a minute though...

I'm also not going to list a bike I paid/invested almost $2300 for 8 months ago for less than $900. If it doesn't sell, it doesn't sell, I'd rather keep it then, rather than give it away.

Also, I dropped the shipping charges. $950 is very reasonable, and if not, I'll keep it. I just wanted to see if by posting this, I might stir up some attention - I did, but I'm not appreciating some of the negative. You obviously got a great deal on your ride. Good for you.

I sold the original drivetrain from this bike a month ago: older Octalink Dura-Ace cranks, Ultegra BB, Ultegra F Derailleur, Dura Ace Rear, Dura Ace Shifters, and a SRAM cassette. Keep in mind that this stuff was used and some of it scuffed a bit. Within an hour of posting it, I had 4 offers and sold it for $300. Others were trying to offer me more (already made the sale though). Craziness, but I guess it all depends on what you are selling.

I'm continually amazed at how that all works. I sold an old air shock I had sitting around (that I got for free) for $30 plus shipping, I try to sell a bike that I put a lot of work and money into for less than half, I get nothing. But, that's how the market works.

Thanks all again for the advice, lets let this thread go peacefully into the night now.

Cheers

KavuRider

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm also not going to list a bike I paid/invested almost $2300 for 8 months ago for less than $900. If it doesn't sell, it doesn't sell, I'd rather keep it then, rather than give it away.

Also, I dropped the shipping charges. $950 is very reasonable, and if not, I'll keep it. I just wanted to see if by posting this, I might stir up some attention - I did, but I'm not appreciating some of the negative. You obviously got a great deal on your ride. Good for you.

I sold the original drivetrain from this bike a month ago: older Octalink Dura-Ace cranks, Ultegra BB, Ultegra F Derailleur, Dura Ace Rear, Dura Ace Shifters, and a SRAM cassette. Keep in mind that this stuff was used and some of it scuffed a bit. Within an hour of posting it, I had 4 offers and sold it for $300. Others were trying to offer me more (already made the sale though). Craziness, but I guess it all depends on what you are selling.

I'm continually amazed at how that all works. I sold an old air shock I had sitting around (that I got for free) for $30 plus shipping, I try to sell a bike that I put a lot of work and money into for less than half, I get nothing. But, that's how the market works.

Thanks all again for the advice, lets let this thread go peacefully into the night now.

Cheers

KavuRider
    i hate to bring this thread back up, but i dont think anyone has suggested this, try posting under cyclocross bikes for sale at the roadbikereview site (maybe post some spam on the cyclocross board). The bike is more of a cx bike and I see much less attractive bikes going for more quite often over there. Also, maybe raise the price to $980 with free shipping! (the free seems to help sometimes). Also, sometimes odd parts like the midge and 165mm cranks turn people away, maybe offer choices (like change to salsa bell lap bar for ~$30) and tack on to the price of the bike (ie: change h-bars, raise price to $990). Your target buyer is going to be: a) someone who has already looked at the kona sutra and decided that thats the bike they want (for its dropouts, and now goes looking for a cheaper used version...
    b) someone who wants to build up a kick-ass singlespeed cx bike (probably not a touring guy, nor a commuter).

c) (most likely) a combination of the above two (someone who wants a kona sutra so they can convert it to a singlespeed)

to re-iterate my advice: advertise to cx'ers, not mtn bikers
    Last edited by dompedro3; 01-26-2006 at 01:57 PM.

Sofa King We Todd Did
    I'm also not going to list a bike I paid/invested almost $2300 for 8 months ago for less than $900.
    Here's the thing - from what I can tell, the bike you're selling is NOT the same bike you paid/invested almost $2300 8 months ago. I'm assuming that figure accounts for the Dura-Ace/Ultegra drivetrain you sold off?

That said, part of the issue also is that you've got some decent parts (Avid mech brakes, Mavic Speedcity wheels, etc.) mixed in with some rather bargain level stuff (Nashbar-brand parts, chain, seatpost, etc.) and when folks see the bargain level stuff, it's difficult to justify the sub-$1000 pricetag for this bike.

Members who have read this thread: 0