vertical / horizontal questions- Mtbr.com
    Mangina?

vertical / horizontal questions

The surly 1x1 has track fork ends correct? This means I will not need a chain tensioner correct, and to sort the tension via sliding the wheel backwards and forwards? Will I still be able to run disc brakes on this bike with no hassles when changing wheels?

If I get a frame with horizontal or vertical dropouts I will need a chain tensioner yes?

Should I look at a frame with an EBB or without?

I am wanting to fit disc brakes to my new build that I am trying to plan. I guess importantly I am wanting to create something that is simple and not so complicated when changing wheels, trying to avoid the need for tensioners, etc... one reason for getting away from gears... you want to see me trying to remove my rear wheel with gears... it is a scream i tell you.

I am looking at the surly 1x1 and the soma 4one5 at the moment as frame options. Builds such as the Independent Fabrication single speed frames appear to have vertical dropouts with EBB.

Looked through the FAQ section, but I am super new to all of this and it bangles with my 2 brain cells at times...

forgive me?

DSR
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Vertical dropouts, no EBB = 1) chain tensioner, 2) find a ring/cog combo that just happens to fit perfectly or 3) White Industries ENO eccentric hub (although discs are out unless you get the ENO disc hub contraption).

Horizontal dropouts = no tensioner, but trickier to set up disc brakes (assuming the frame even has disc mounts).

Vertical dropouts and EBB = no tensioner, easy disc brake set up.

Do a search and you should be able to find all kinds of info on the pros and cons of all of this. I think most would agree that vert/EBB is the easiest set up for discs though if you are so inclined. Lots of folks make an EBB frame. Heck, Jenson has an in-house Reynolds 853 EBB frame on sale for $299!

Welcome to the simple complexity of the world of singlespeeds! S

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by Jade
    The surly 1x1 has track fork ends correct? This means I will not need a chain tensioner correct, and to sort the tension via sliding the wheel backwards and forwards? Will I still be able to run disc brakes on this bike with no hassles when changing wheels?

If I get a frame with horizontal or vertical dropouts I will need a chain tensioner yes?

Should I look at a frame with an EBB or without?

I am wanting to fit disc brakes to my new build that I am trying to plan. I guess importantly I am wanting to create something that is simple and not so complicated when changing wheels, trying to avoid the need for tensioners, etc... one reason for getting away from gears... you want to see me trying to remove my rear wheel with gears... it is a scream i tell you.

I am looking at the surly 1x1 and the soma 4one5 at the moment as frame options. Builds such as the Independent Fabrication single speed frames appear to have vertical dropouts with EBB.

Looked through the FAQ section, but I am super new to all of this and it bangles with my 2 brain cells at times...

forgive me?
    I too am new so I can sympathize completely.

I just bought a Surly a few weeks ago and it is a great bike. It runs disc brakes just fine. It is a little cumbersome to either change a flat and/or remove the rear wheel and to put the wheel back on, but not a huge deal. When putting the wheel back on of course, you just need to make sure the wheel is lined up in the center before tightening down the rear axle. Mine has chain tugs on both sides which help prevent the axle from slipping and help to provide appropriate tension on the chain etc. before tightening down the axle completely.

Having said all of this, I am going to get an EBB bike now. I much prefer the idea of what I consider normal vertical dropouts in the back and will be using normal quick release skewers and of course, setting up the disc is then nothing different than with a typical geared bike. A downside I have heard/been told is that eccentric bottom brackets may creak which makes sense. That is why I chose to go with a bike from Phil Wood who makes incredible stuff, including EBBs so that the chance of creaking is minimized. Of course an EBB will weigh something so I guess weight would be considered a negative but that does not bother me in the least.

keep us posted.

Cheers

paintbucket
    Quote Originally Posted by DSR
    Welcome to the simple complexity of the world of singlespeeds! S
    And then of course there's sliding dropouts....
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

Mangina?
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    I too am new so I can sympathize completely.

I just bought a Surly a few weeks ago and it is a great bike. It runs disc brakes just fine. It is a little cumbersome to either change a flat and/or remove the rear wheel and to put the wheel back on, but not a huge deal. When putting the wheel back on of course, you just need to make sure the wheel is lined up in the center before tightening down the rear axle. Mine has chain tugs on both sides which help prevent the axle from slipping and help to provide appropriate tension on the chain etc. before tightening down the axle completely.

Having said all of this, I am going to get an EBB bike now. I much prefer the idea of what I consider normal vertical dropouts in the back and will be using normal quick release skewers and of course, setting up the disc is then nothing different than with a typical geared bike. A downside I have heard/been told is that eccentric bottom brackets may creak which makes sense. That is why I chose to go with a bike from Phil Wood who makes incredible stuff, including EBBs so that the chance of creaking is minimized. Of course an EBB will weigh something so I guess weight would be considered a negative but that does not bother me in the least.

keep us posted.

Cheers

yup i think ebb and vert is my way to go... thanks to everyone who took time out...

Peace & Love
    yup i think ebb and vert is my way to go... thanks to everyone who took time out...
    now comes the hard/fun part......which frame to choose I went through this recently and it was fun but overwhelming cause there are a lot of great options

cheers

mtbr member
    That's what I thought until I heard complaints about EBB's wearing, pittting, creaking, popping bolts. Staying with sliders and vert!