Vertical dropout / chain tension ?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Vertical dropout / chain tension ?

Hi,
    I'm trying to build up a 2000 Tassajara as a single speed and am able to get good chain tension without a tensioner by using a certain gear ratio. The only problem is I'm not able to slide the wheel fully in the rear dropout.

The tension is tight with the wheel halfway in, so I just clamp it down there. A picture is attached. Can someone tell me if I'm asking for trouble with this setup?

Also, if I spin the freewheel backwards, the chain tension causes the wheel to spin slowly backwards. Is this normal? Is it slowing me down on the trail?

I've been riding this bike for a few weeks with no problems, but I want to make sure I've got 2 good wheels under me before I hit some more difficult trails.

Best and thanks,
    Arjan
    NL
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    That is not "good chain tension." It is too tight and you need to have the hub completely in the dropouts. You will wear out the cog, ring chain and bearings quickly.

Get a Singular type tensioner.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

No Justice = No Peace

HOw's your gearing?

It might be possible to add a half link and one more tooth to your freewheel. It's a tricky balance, but it is noce to haved a simple clean set up that you don't have to mess with.

Definitely get that wheel in the drops all the way. You are certain to break something riding it the way it is.
    "Welcome to my underground lair...."

mtbr member
    dude, that looks scary. you could also try an eno eccentric hub...but they're much more costly than a bolt-on tensioner...i've also heard a lot more negative experiences than good ones for the eno.

No Justice = No Peace

ENO rules

I hve one on my Bontrager and it works flawlessly. Best invention since ..... I dunno, maybe the best invention ever.
    "Welcome to my underground lair...."

mtbr member

Dude...

Get a $5 half link, a $20 chain tensioner and save yourself the trouble.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by arjangreen
    Hi,
    I'm trying to build up a 2000 Tassajara as a single speed and am able to get good chain tension without a tensioner by using a certain gear ratio. The only problem is I'm not able to slide the wheel fully in the rear dropout.

The tension is tight with the wheel halfway in, so I just clamp it down there. A picture is attached. Can someone tell me if I'm asking for trouble with this setup?

Also, if I spin the freewheel backwards, the chain tension causes the wheel to spin slowly backwards. Is this normal? Is it slowing me down on the trail?

I've been riding this bike for a few weeks with no problems, but I want to make sure I've got 2 good wheels under me before I hit some more difficult trails.

Best and thanks,
    Arjan
    NL
    Put a new chain in and see the difference in where the axle tightens the chain. Then decide on what is next, half-link, regearing, tensionser, or filing of the drops.

E !

Get a tensioner

When,and not if,you put enough torque on that wheel it's gonna pop out. In my exp. even if you get the "magic ratio" it will not work in the long run. Get a tensioner and be done with it.
    the - E - dog

thump thump
    Quote Originally Posted by E !
    When,and not if,you put enough torque on that wheel it's gonna pop out. In my exp. even if you get the "magic ratio" it will not work in the long run. Get a tensioner and be done with it.
    Agreed. Both you and you're drivetrain will last longer. They do make some snazzy tensioners anyways.
    "What is truth?" - Pilate to Jesus

rbtm member
    Jan 2004
    Is that a new chain you have on there? If not, a slightly worn one may be just long enough to work. It looks very close. I have a similar tensioner-less setup and it's perfect when a chain is new but after 500 or so miles it's loose enough to bounce off, long before it's considered worn out. It's kind of a waste to replace them that early but I really hate tensioners.

And, as others have said, if your cranks bind it's too tight!
    Last edited by Mr.Bob; 01-16-2006 at 08:48 PM.
    "The mouth of justice contemplates wisdom."

Members who have read this thread: 0