Vertical dropout chain/gearing calculations.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Vertical dropout chain/gearing calculations.

Hello,

This is my first post on Mtbr, I hope you can help

I've read into how to convert my Fire Mountain HT into an SS and understand it, but if possible I want to get away without using a chain tensioner (like a Singulator).

I downloaded one of the calculators in the Single Speed FAQ section and it helped but I'm still confused.

My chainstays are 16.7" long. I want to run as close to a 2:1 gearing as possible (but not less than). It seems 32:16 is too far out but 34:16 would work on a theoretical chainstay length of 16.689". Will this work on my bike, or will it be too tight to run smoothly?

There was another combination (which I can't remember off the top of my head- doh!) that worked on a theoretical chainstay length of 16.57"- would this one work? I understand that the second only has a chance of working if the first works; I suppose what I'm asking is how far 'out' can the theoretical chainstay length be before it's too tight or too loose (on a 16.7" stay)?

I hope I've put this across clearly :-)

Thanks guys.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

What year is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Double Drop
    Hello,

This is my first post on Mtbr, I hope you can help

I've read into how to convert my Fire Mountain HT into an SS and understand it, but if possible I want to get away without using a chain tensioner (like a Singulator).

I downloaded one of the calculators in the Single Speed FAQ section and it helped but I'm still confused.

My chainstays are 16.7" long. I want to run as close to a 2:1 gearing as possible (but not less than). It seems 32:16 is too far out but 34:16 would work on a theoretical chainstay length of 16.689". Will this work on my bike, or will it be too tight to run smoothly?

There was another combination (which I can't remember off the top of my head- doh!) that worked on a theoretical chainstay length of 16.57"- would this one work? I understand that the second only has a chance of working if the first works; I suppose what I'm asking is how far 'out' can the theoretical chainstay length be before it's too tight or too loose (on a 16.7" stay)?

I hope I've put this across clearly :-)

Thanks guys.
    What year frame is it? Kona's been speccing 16.75" chainstays for a while, but I don't know if they've changed recently. My older Caldera frame ('99) has 16.75" stays and I can run 34:20 or 32:18 sans tensioner.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Hi,

It's a 2004 model. I've just checked the catalogue again and it says 16.7". This might sound stupid but do you think they've changed the chainstay lengths or do you think they only quote figures to one decimal place? I will email Kona tomorrow to find out.

Thanks, please keep the help coming

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Dunno

Quote Originally Posted by Double Drop
    Hi,

It's a 2004 model. I've just checked the catalogue again and it says 16.7". This might sound stupid but do you think they've changed the chainstay lengths or do you think they only quote figures to one decimal place? I will email Kona tomorrow to find out.

Thanks, please keep the help coming

I got my info from here:

http://www.konaworld.com/Bikes/99bikes/99bikeinfo.html

Might not be a bad idea to just try it? I haven't checked Kona specs in a while.

-Que?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Right first time.

Might not be a bad idea to just try it? I haven't checked Kona specs in a while.

-Que?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, probably will do, was hoping to do this single speed thing on the cheap though !! Get it all right first time .....

Thanks anyway