Vermont 50 and a SS- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Vermont 50 and a SS

So I'm pretty much planning on bringing my Single to Vermont for the 50 miler. I've never done it before and I have very little info about the course.

Can anyone tell me it's not a good idea? I'm basically running a 2:1 and have a short travel fork.

I'll probably cross post in the other section to try to find a veteran

Thanks
    Shane

try driving your car less
    Quote Originally Posted by SKullman
    So I'm pretty much planning on bringing my Single to Vermont for the 50 miler. I've never done it before and I have very little info about the course.

Can anyone tell me it's not a good idea? I'm basically running a 2:1 and have a short travel fork.

I'll probably cross post in the other section to try to find a veteran

Thanks
    Shane
    i did it last year. 32:18. it was great! i posted something about it, try searching the archives, if the search function works. i walked some, but when i was walking, everyone else around me was walking, too.
    i am not going this year, my buddy is getting married that weekend.
    last year the overall winner was on a rigid SS.

great race! enjoy it!
    Only boring people get bored.

mtbr member

Fine SS course

Skullman --

I raced last year on a rigid singlespeed and it was great. I was running my usual 34-20, which left me spinny on the flats, of course, but well able to climb anything that I would on my geared bikes. 2:1 is too rich for my legs here in the Berkshires, but if that's what you're used to turning, it'll probably be fine. There are no super-long or technical climbs at the VT50, there are substantial dirt road sections, lots of doubletrack, and the singletrack is all flat to rolling.

I say there's no question at all, go for it. It's a singlespeed-friendly course. (Unlike, say, the Jay MTB race the day before yesterday, where I Suffered a Great Deal. And had a blast.)

I'll be on a blue Soul Cycles Hooligan, and will keep an eye out for you at the start, as many of the singlespeeders ride together on the downhill while everyone leaves us behind. We catch up on the dirt road climb soon after, though.

Cruzmissle

try driving your car less
    Quote Originally Posted by cruzmissle

I'll be on a blue Soul Cycles Hooligan, and will keep an eye out for you at the start, as many of the singlespeeders ride together on the downhill while everyone leaves us behind. We catch up on the dirt road climb soon after, though.

Cruzmissle
    yes, dont get discouraged at the beginning when all the geared riders leave you behind on the flat dirt road. it's a long race and you are not losing much time there.

try your best to draft behind some big geared rider. If you are lucky, you will be pulled along with them! I did this for a little bit, at least.
    Only boring people get bored.

mtbr member
    I believe the winner of last years VT50 was on a rigid SS

http://www.vermont50.com/2004_results.html
    Last edited by dan(YELL); 08-02-2005 at 12:01 PM.

brother on a mission
    The winner was on a rigid single speed, and he was pushing a monster gear. My usual riding partner rode it on a rigid bike pushing 40:23. I will be sweeping it again this year on my single speed pushing 33:19.

I ride trails like the VT50 just north of ascutney, and sometimes down around Brownsville, and I am quite comfortable pushing 33:19. I say go for it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Cool, I found some of those old posts. I'm for sure bringing the Single then. Might bring a new set of tires though....Since it's a classic $200 leftover parts bike, it's only ever had hand-me-down tires.

I'm impressed there is 8500 ft of climing, not quite Leadville, but substantial. We just did the Leadville Silver rush 50...that sucked. Seemed like it was all above treeline.

Anyway, I'll be on my beatup JohnDeere green single with a red Sid, Yellow, Blue and Black LSC team gear.

brother on a mission
    I'll see you there. I'll be on a solo-one with mary bars, lugging some signage and trail debris. I am not sure how quickly you are planning on riding it, but be sure to pause and look around at the hill top sag stop. It is one of the best views in our region.

Members who have read this thread: 0