Ventana El Comandante- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Ventana El Comandante

Who has one? Who has raced on one?

With my preferred single speed setup (sliders), the ability to run gears, the longevity of an ox, and local factory that I can get to in 4 hours, this might be my next dream ride.

I know they are a bit heavier than a modern carboner but I don't think by much. I would want to put a light 100 mm front shock on it and race it.

Does anyone have experience setting one up similarly and how do you like it?

Out spokin'
    Wow, a 27.2mm seatpost... haven't seen a (mountain bike) frame that takes one of those in over a decade. Not sure why Ventana decided to employ a pressfit BB on a metal frame but maybe this one won't creak. Frame geo seems kinda old school but that's all personal preference. Sorry.. guess I'm nitpicking your dream machine (not my goal) but personally I'm not seeing anything that makes this bike jump up & stand out. And this comes from a guy who just bought a new aluminum frame (albeit with a threaded BB which was one of my reasons for choosing a metal frame).

I've got nothing against Ventana. A riding bud's had one for many years and likes it a lot. Best to you.
    =s
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Wow, a 27.2mm seatpost... haven't seen a (mountain bike) frame that takes one of those in over a decade. Not sure why Ventana decided to employ a pressfit BB on a metal frame but maybe this one won't creak. Frame geo seems kinda old school but that's all personal preference. Sorry.. guess I'm nitpicking your dream machine (not my goal) but personally I'm not seeing anything that makes this bike jump up & stand out. And this comes from a guy who just bought a new aluminum frame (albeit with a threaded BB which was one of my reasons for choosing a metal frame).

I've got nothing against Ventana. A riding bud's had one for many years and likes it a lot. Best to you.
    =s
    Funny... those are the exact reasons I am attracted to it. I don't want something that jumps up and stands out. I want the old geometry that happens to work well for me.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    I had an El Commandante for many years and raced it as a SS. Loved it. I live about 20 minutes from the factory and Sherwood and the gang are super cool.

I never noticed the heavier weight over carbon frames...I mean I did when picking it up in my garage...but on the trail? Nah. Sherwood's frames ride great. And if anything ever happens to it, they'll take care of you for sure.

Mind didn't have sliders though...It used an EBB. I prefer sliders...that is about the only thing I would have changed on it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    I had an El Commandante for many years and raced it as a SS. Loved it. I live about 20 minutes from the factory and Sherwood and the gang are super cool.

I never noticed the heavier weight over carbon frames...I mean I did when picking it up in my garage...but on the trail? Nah. Sherwood's frames ride great. And if anything ever happens to it, they'll take care of you for sure.

Mind didn't have sliders though...It used an EBB. I prefer sliders...that is about the only thing I would have changed on it.
    Tyrone,

Thanks so much for your comments.

How would you describe the ride quality as opposed to a carbon frame? I have had mixed experiences with aluminum. Some have been terribly harsh to the point of being unrideable on anything but smooth pavement and some good or at least on par with carbon.

What did you end up changing to from your El Commandante, and how would you describe the differences?

I spoke with Sherwood last week and he is a cool dude. From what I understand the large El Commandante comes in at around 3.8 lbs. so it is not the lightest frame available to me but also not bad at all especially considering the other benefits. They can easily do a semi-custom build for a reasonable fee and they have a new boost-spaced frame as well.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ohmygato View Post
    Tyrone,

Thanks so much for your comments.

How would you describe the ride quality as opposed to a carbon frame? I have had mixed experiences with aluminum. Some have been terribly harsh to the point of being unrideable on anything but smooth pavement and some good or at least on par with carbon.

What did you end up changing to from your El Commandante, and how would you describe the differences?

I spoke with Sherwood last week and he is a cool dude. From what I understand the large El Commandante comes in at around 3.8 lbs. so it is not the lightest frame available to me but also not bad at all especially considering the other benefits. They can easily do a semi-custom build for a reasonable fee and they have a new boost-spaced frame as well.
    Well, I gotta admit, it's been a number of years since I had my Commandante so I'm not sure I can accurately describe its ride characteristics looking back. I just recally I beat the piss out of it, and it was great. After the El Commandante, I ended up going to a carbon Niner Air Nine Carbon, which was certainly lighter, but I'm not sure I recall it riding any 'better'. That Air Nine Carbon then eventually got sold for what is my primary hardtail now, an Independent Fabrication Ti Deluxe 29'er that I run SS 90% of the time.

My current cross/gravel bike is a Squid aluminium frame and those are made by Sherwood. And it rides fantastic. It's springy like a good metal frame should be (not like steel or Ti mind you...but still springy in a good way). Not sure if that ride characteristic transfers over to the Commandante or not...pretty sure it does (it's the same or very similar alu tubing I believe), but I just can't recall lol

Nice they have a new Boost frame too.