mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Vassago Optimus Ti

Well, I finally got it done. Went out yesterday for the inaugural ride and it was great. I am running a 32/20 right now and this seems to be good most of the trails closest to me, especially given my current pathetic physical condition.

Any further evaluation at this point would not be too valid given my limited experience with SS. I did have a Yeti Arc SS about 1.5-3 years ago that was also rigid, then switched it to a 2 speed with a Paul Melvin. This Vassago is more comfortable, again 29ers are just doing it for me! The ride is smoother. I was surprised how much fun I had, especially on the first SS ride in well over a year. I do not have a weight on it yet, but it is light, could be even lighter wiht different bits and pieces, but I like it the way it is. The Jones bar, in particular, is heavy, but I really dig it.

Just an FYI, this was the prototype Optimus Ti and has horizontal drops. From what I understand, this will be changed to the sliders for the first batch or two, but they do have plans to offer the h-drops in the future. I guess they will have two versions. 1329 for the frame is not bad at all. Very cool company.

http://vassagocycles.com/optimusti.html

I will post up more ride reports as I get more time on it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ride Your Bicycle

You know, for kids
    nice bike and nice Blunts

I'm waiting on a custom set of Blunts for my new Bandersnatch, my Jabberwocky rides on Blunts as well
    disclaimer: I sell and repair bicycles

mtbr member
    Very hot looking. I need to take a closer look at Vassago.

The Jones bar is heavy?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Very Nice! I can't wait until I get my hands on one.

mtbr member
    Very nice, are these coming to the UK?

mtbr member
    very nice looking bike - what rear cog is that?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SSSasky
    Very hot looking. I need to take a closer look at Vassago.

The Jones bar is heavy?
    Thanks!

Jones lists the weight at 340/440 for xc/hd, which is a heavy compared to a 171gram Salsa carbon bar with 11 degree bendor the 17degree bend bar at 261grams (althought this is 710 mm wide and I would cut down). You could save over 1/2 pound by switching.

I am running the HD based on Jeff's recommendation. The weight is definitely worth the comfort.
    Ride Your Bicycle

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rzims
    very nice looking bike - what rear cog is that?
    Boone, looks to be a 20t. Currently not available as Bruce is trying to catch up to demand.

artistic...
    can you drop that front end and BB w/ a shorter fork? head angle looks to be very slack.. isn't it designed around the vassago fork? why the vicious?
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1
    can you drop that front end and BB w/ a shorter fork? head angle looks to be very slack.. isn't it designed around the vassago fork? why the vicious?

Sure, you could put a shorter fork on there, but the bike was designed around the 467mm Pitchfork or an 80mm travel fork. When you factor sag, the 470mm A-C of the Vicious is right on and closely matches the 467 A-C of the Pitchfork, which is ultimately what all the Vassago's are designed around. The main differenc with the Vicious vs. Pitchfork is the rake, 39 vs 45mm.

Vicious makes a non suspension corrected frok that has A-C of 438, which would drop the front about 1.25 inches and change head angle by 1 - 1.5 degrees, while dropping the BB, changing seat angle, blah blah blah.

I am trusting the designers and experimenting with their geometry concept. So far I like it a lot.

Not only is the Vicious substantially lighter (over 1/2 pound) than the Pitchfork, but I feel that the ride quality is a bit more compliant. I have had Vicious before and like the way they ride. Personal preference, I guess.

You can view the geometry and a description of the Wetcat geometry here:

http://vassagocycles.com/wetcat.html
    Ride Your Bicycle

Hairshirt Rider
    How was the setup with the new Shimano discs on that slotted rear disc mount?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    It's official!! I should have mine up and rolling by months end. She'll be rolling on some blue to silver fade I9's and the Fox 29er. I get all giddy on the inside when I think about sweet she's going to be.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    This bike is stunning. Love the Vivious fork.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I can't spell. love the VICIOUS fork. Damn.

Teen Wolf
    damn sexy!

mtbr member
    Old thread but still a sweet ride.

808+909 = Party Good Time
    hot bike for sure love it

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by single~minded
    What are they getting for a frameset? I was thinking about the steel but that is nice
    Here's my take on the Optimus...

Just finished mine and I couldn't be more satisfied with it. However, I came from the steel Jabber and I still have yet to find a better riding bike that that. Side by side, In terms of pure ride quality, the Jabber might even be better.

If you have the jack, $1628.00 plus shipping for this frame is indeed a remarkable deal - the quality is simply amazing. it's lighter than the Jabber, feels a pinch quicker and more nimble, but that's probably in my head, I can't quantify it. Needless to say, I still have, and won't part with my Jabber OR the Optimus - I love them both.

Interested to hear others opinions...
    Linux is for those who hate Microsoft, BSD is for those who love UNIX.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Loving the Ride!!!

I just built up my optimus ti last week. I had been waiting over a year for this frame. I am coming from racing and riding a GF Rig for over 3 years. The first ride solidified my love for this bike. It was very compliant out on the trail it climbed just as well as the rig and the cornering was far faster that the rig given the lower bottom bracket on it. I am very satisfied with this bike. It is light also. I have the whole thing built up single at 18.58 pounds and I still have a few lighter parts coming. I will be posting the full build sometime as well as the parts list.

Members who have read this thread: 0