Vassago Optimus Ti 29+ SS - Tire Combo Question(s)- Mtbr.com
    I am Walt

Vassago Optimus Ti 29+ SS - Tire Combo Question(s)

Hi all...longtime member here; haven't posted much in a long while. New bike, so new stoke, and I thought I'd post up about something I'm mulling over.

To net it out, I'm trying to figure out the best "mid-plus" or plus tire combo for this bike, and am interested in any thoughts/opinions/experience you all might have. I'm posting here because I am specifically interested in singlespeed-specific feedback, as it makes a difference.

Bike is a new Vassago Optimus Ti Boost 29+, and the wheels are Hope Pro 4's laced to Flow MK3's (i29 mm). Tires in the pics are WTB Ranger 3.0's (yes, I know pushing it on i29 rims), but I have since switched to Maxxis Rekon 2.6's. I've got three rides on the Rekon's, the latest being a 50+ miler running 13 PSI front and 15 PSI rear. I'm about 190-195 lbs geared up.

The original Rangers felt "heavy", and slow to get going, and a bit squirrely when cornering in loose granite gravel over hardpack, though they were cushy (once I lowered the PSI enough). I like the Rekon's thus far, and they seem to roll pretty well. But I'm trying to optimize my setup.

Points of reference for you: I am in Arizona and do mostly endurance XC riding (including solo 12/24-hour events), with moderate tech. I don't do any big drop/super gnar stuff. I value rolling resistance and, to a lesser degree, weight. My previous set up, on a prior-gen Optimus Ti (non-Boost), was all-Ikon: 2.35 front and 2.20 rear. I absolutely loved that combo, and it was bomber for me.

Considerations include: Stay with the Rekon's, go to an Ikon Ardent 2.40 front/Ikon 2.35 rear, use another 2.6/2.8 combo, or build up an i40 mm set on sunRingle Duroc rims, and run the Ranger 3.0's or something like that.

Anyway, thanks for listening. I've always valued honest MTBR feedback, and thought I'd bounce it off the group. Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vassago Optimus Ti 29+ SS - Tire Combo Question(s)-opti-plus-1.jpg  

Vassago Optimus Ti 29+ SS - Tire Combo Question(s)-new-bike2.jpg  

Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    I use rangers on 40i rims and they don't feel slow rolling at all. I'm surprised they feel that way to you.

The wider rims should help improve cornering and possibly allow lower PSI, but not sure if they'd roll much better in a straight line. The 41i durocs also look to be about 100g heavier than your flow rims, so that won't help the setup feel any quicker.

Why not just try a Rekon up front and the 2.35 ikon on the rear? If you don't need all that grip, Ikons front and rear roll really fast and have a good profile on your current rims.

If your budget allows for light carbon rims, a 35i or 40i rim with chupacabras or rangers is very fast. I went from a bike setup with 2.35 ikons on 26i rims to one with 3.0 rangers on 40i rims, and it's proven to be faster on my local trails. In my opinion, keeping the rotating weight as low as possible makes all the difference with plus bikes. My race bike has 40i rims that are about 100g lighter each than flows.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by coke View Post
    I use rangers on 40i rims and they don't feel slow rolling at all. I'm surprised they feel that way to you.

The wider rims should help improve cornering and possibly allow lower PSI, but not sure if they'd roll much better in a straight line. The 41i durocs also look to be about 100g heavier than your flow rims, so that won't help the setup feel any quicker.

Why not just try a Rekon up front and the 2.35 ikon on the rear? If you don't need all that grip, Ikons front and rear roll really fast and have a good profile on your current rims.

If your budget allows for light carbon rims, a 35i or 40i rim with chupacabras or rangers is very fast. I went from a bike setup with 2.35 ikons on 26i rims to one with 3.0 rangers on 40i rims, and it's proven to be faster on my local trails. In my opinion, keeping the rotating weight as low as possible makes all the difference with plus bikes. My race bike has 40i rims that are about 100g lighter each than flows.
    Thanks for the detailed response! What 40i rims are you using? I can get OEM Duroc rims that are actually similar to the Flows.
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz View Post
    Thanks for the detailed response! What 40i rims are you using? I can get OEM Duroc rims that are actually similar to the Flows.
    Kappius XCW http://kappiuscomponents.com/products/kr-29-xcw-rim

I'll also soon have another bike set up with Derby rims. I've had absolutely no issues with the Kappius rims, but the other bike I'm building is more of a play bike rather than a race bike, so I went for a slightly heavier rim.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    If the frame and fork can swallow a 29+ then my choice would be the Bontrager Chupacabra 29 x 3.0

I really like this tire.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by slowride454 View Post
    If the frame and fork can swallow a 29+ then my choice would be the Bontrager Chupacabra 29 x 3.0

I really like this tire.
    They sure can, and I think I'm going to give those a try with 40i rims. BTW, the Chupa's are now called XR2's...same exact tire, but new name.
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I use the XR2 29 x 2.35 front and rear on my full suspension race bike. Very good all around tire, not the fastest or grippiest, but seems to work well in most situations. I use the Chupa in the front of my rigid SS paired with a 2.35 XR2 also. These roll so much faster and handle much better than the Fat B Nimble 29x3.0 I have for summer duty on my fatbike. Once they are worn out I'll replace with Bontragers.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Hi all...longtime member here; haven't posted much in a long while. New bike, so new stoke, and I thought I'd post up about something I'm mulling over.

To net it out, I'm trying to figure out the best "mid-plus" or plus tire combo for this bike, and am interested in any thoughts/opinions/experience you all might have. I'm posting here because I am specifically interested in singlespeed-specific feedback, as it makes a difference.

Bike is a new Vassago Optimus Ti Boost 29+, and the wheels are Hope Pro 4's laced to Flow MK3's (i29 mm). Tires in the pics are WTB Ranger 3.0's (yes, I know pushing it on i29 rims), but I have since switched to Maxxis Rekon 2.6's. I've got three rides on the Rekon's, the latest being a 50+ miler running 13 PSI front and 15 PSI rear. I'm about 190-195 lbs geared up.

The original Rangers felt "heavy", and slow to get going, and a bit squirrely when cornering in loose granite gravel over hardpack, though they were cushy (once I lowered the PSI enough). I like the Rekon's thus far, and they seem to roll pretty well. But I'm trying to optimize my setup.

Points of reference for you: I am in Arizona and do mostly endurance XC riding (including solo 12/24-hour events), with moderate tech. I don't do any big drop/super gnar stuff. I value rolling resistance and, to a lesser degree, weight. My previous set up, on a prior-gen Optimus Ti (non-Boost), was all-Ikon: 2.35 front and 2.20 rear. I absolutely loved that combo, and it was bomber for me.

Considerations include: Stay with the Rekon's, go to an Ikon Ardent 2.40 front/Ikon 2.35 rear, use another 2.6/2.8 combo, or build up an i40 mm set on sunRingle Duroc rims, and run the Ranger 3.0's or something like that.

Anyway, thanks for listening. I've always valued honest MTBR feedback, and thought I'd bounce it off the group. Thanks!
    Love the bike! I have been thinking of building one very similar, same frame. What the weight of it with the 3.0 tires?

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by jbell View Post
    Love the bike! I have been thinking of building one very similar, same frame. What the weight of it with the 3.0 tires?
    25.10 lbs, with the 3.0's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Disclaimer: I'll start by saying that I haven't ridden my new Vassago Verhauen SS yet, but I did put a lot of thought and research when I chose my setup, like you're doing now.

What I ended up with is: I have a NOX Farlow (i29) w/ 3.0 Fat-B-Nimble on the front, and a NOX Teocali (i29) w/ 2.25" Racing Ralph on the rear.

I chose this because we don't have many sharp rocks or pokey things here in Michigan, and I was trying to keep my setup light and quick rolling for XC and some gravel. I liked the idea of a larger front tire (which is reported to be measure around 2.8") for more traction and to smooth out the ride in the front end since I ride rigid. I never really lose traction on the rear, so I decided to keep it smaller, and the RaRa's have worked well for me for years on all my other bikes.

The rim widths are what was suggested for the tire sizes that I wanted, so I hope it works out. Everything is mounted and looks good. Now we just need to have some dry days and a thaw so I could ride.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyCharm4x4 View Post
    Disclaimer: I'll start by saying that I haven't ridden my new Vassago Verhauen SS yet, but I did put a lot of thought and research when I chose my setup, like you're doing now.

What I ended up with is: I have a NOX Farlow (i29) w/ 3.0 Fat-B-Nimble on the front, and a NOX Teocali (i29) w/ 2.25" Racing Ralph on the rear.

I chose this because we don't have many sharp rocks or pokey things here in Michigan, and I was trying to keep my setup light and quick rolling for XC and some gravel. I liked the idea of a larger front tire (which is reported to be measure around 2.8") for more traction and to smooth out the ride in the front end since I ride rigid. I never really lose traction on the rear, so I decided to keep it smaller, and the RaRa's have worked well for me for years on all my other bikes.

The rim widths are what was suggested for the tire sizes that I wanted, so I hope it works out. Everything is mounted and looks good. Now we just need to have some dry days and a thaw so I could ride.
    Sounds awesome! My only (minor) concern is running 3.0 tires on an i29 rim, and compromising the profile of the tire. That's why I switched to the Rekon's, and why I'm considering a Duroc wheelset, in order to run 3.0's.
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Jan 2018

Interesting. I'm also in AZ and run nearly the exact same bike setup, identical frame and fork. The only difference is that I'm running a dropper. I'm a pretty light rider (140) and the extra rotational weight of the plus tire on the rear was noticeable to me.

I settled on the mixed tire size setup already mentioned in the thread. I'm currently using a Vittoria Mezcal 2.35 rear on an easton arc 24(casing width is just under 59mm at 20psi) and a Vittoria Bomboloni on a Duroc 40 on the front. Also, I'm running my fork at 120mm.

The quick acceleration out back combined with the roll over and traction up front works really well for me.

Since it's free, It wouldn't hurt to give the mixed setup a try.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. C View Post
    Interesting. I'm also in AZ and run nearly the exact same bike setup, identical frame and fork. The only difference is that I'm running a dropper. I'm a pretty light rider (140) and the extra rotational weight of the plus tire on the rear was noticeable to me.

I settled on the mixed tire size setup already mentioned in the thread. I'm currently using a Vittoria Mezcal 2.35 rear on an easton arc 24(casing width is just under 59mm at 20psi) and a Vittoria Bomboloni on a Duroc 40 on the front. Also, I'm running my fork at 120mm.

The quick acceleration out back combined with the roll over and traction up front works really well for me.

Since it's free, It wouldn't hurt to give the mixed setup a try.
    Great input, and I will try that. I ran mixed on prior OpTi, so have no qualms about doing so. With the miles I do, I want to reduce as much drag as possible...
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Great input, and I will try that. I ran mixed on prior OpTi, so have no qualms about doing so. With the miles I do, I want to reduce as much drag as possible...
    Ahhh, good to know. Mixed is a great setup for SS.

It seems like the 2.6 F/R setup might be a good compromise between weight and rolling resistance for you. I know Vittoria is coming out with the Mezcal in a 2.6 soon. The 2.35 works really well for me in Phoenix. I like it more than the Ikon. Claimed weight for the 2.6 is 870g with a faster rolling tread than the Rekon.
    Last edited by Dr. C; 01-23-2018 at 08:21 PM.

Always in the wrong gear
    Keep the Flows with Ardents for 'dirt roadie'/gravel wheels.

Build i40s and wrap them in Chupas.
    Don’t modify the trail to match your skills, modify your skills to match the trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ARandomBiker View Post
    Keep the Flows with Ardents for 'dirt roadie'/gravel wheels.

Build i40s and wrap them in Chupas.
    Well XR2 now Chupas are dead long live the XR2!

BTW same tire in plus size, just a name change.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

Ahhh the pain....
    Walt, I've been on the "mixed" model SS now for a year and a half...9 out of 10 of my rides are on it.
    It all started as an experiment where I wanted to try a rigid fork but didn't want to beat myself up. I didn't have any wide rims around so after a little research, I just mounted up a Chupacabra on my Crest rim (yes, a Crest!)....was the profile sub-obtimal? probably but hell, I ran it that way for about 10 months, including some 80 and 100 mile races. Finally I found a good deal on some 30mm internal carbon rims that are between the weight of a crest and arch rim... Built up a front wheel with one and use a 23mm internal carbon rim on back were i run either a 2.2 Ardent Race or 2.2 Ikon... I love the setup...it's fast and light and still handles the chunky stuff darn well. I can rip around at Browns, PMP, Sonoran, Prescott, Flag, etc... We all know rear tires wear the fastest and I like the setup from the $ perspective....Chupas (XR2) ain't cheap but on front, they last a long time.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    Walt, I've been on the "mixed" model SS now for a year and a half...9 out of 10 of my rides are on it.
    It all started as an experiment where I wanted to try a rigid fork but didn't want to beat myself up. I didn't have any wide rims around so after a little research, I just mounted up a Chupacabra on my Crest rim (yes, a Crest!)....was the profile sub-obtimal? probably but hell, I ran it that way for about 10 months, including some 80 and 100 mile races. Finally I found a good deal on some 30mm internal carbon rims that are between the weight of a crest and arch rim... Built up a front wheel with one and use a 23mm internal carbon rim on back were i run either a 2.2 Ardent Race or 2.2 Ikon... I love the setup...it's fast and light and still handles the chunky stuff darn well. I can rip around at Browns, PMP, Sonoran, Prescott, Flag, etc... We all know rear tires wear the fastest and I like the setup from the $ perspective....Chupas (XR2) ain't cheap but on front, they last a long time.
    Thanks, Ray! That's REALLY mixed! And I can't believe you ran a Chupa on a Crest; hell, I can't believe you ran a Crest! I broke an Arch EX rear, and since then, have only used Flows. Then again, I'm a bit heavier than you...

I'm very comfortable with mixed, as I've always run a slightly bigger front, and am going to play around with various combos on the Flows and the Durocs, though I will probably leave the Durocs as a true "plus" wheelset with 3.0's. TBD, though...above all, I hate a "draggy" feeling, particularly on high-mileage stuff.
    Ride more; post less...

Ahhh the pain....
    You bet...honestly, I think some of the "You can't run that big tire on narrow rim!" hype is industry generated with a little fear tossed in as well. I did run it with a few extra PSI (13 vs 10-11 now on my 30mm id rim) just for "insurance". I've found I could keep a crest wheel on front w/o issue but not on the rear.(cracked two)..had to use an arch there(and even cracked one of those). Now that I've switched to carbon (Light Bicycle and Nextie rims built up by Dave Thomas), I don't have any sorts of wheel issues.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015

Im on the older Sir9 SS with carbon hoops ID 29mm

Im currently running 2.8 Nobby Nic up front and 2.4 Ardent out back with a suspension fork. The Nobby Nic was better "to me" in the wetter conditions. Having some slippage up front now in the dry on hard packed loose rocky sections.

I was running rigid with 3.0 Chupa up front and 2.4 Ardent out back. This is a killer setup for me. I never had any issues. My shoulders finally asked for a rest from the rigid.

My Optimus Ti is on the way!!! Super stoked to get it rolling. Im gonna be rolling similar to you. SS and I29mm hoops and Tom suggested the Rekons F& R. This was probably a Useless post from me but seeing your bike Im ready to roll out on the Optimus Ti.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by RacerM41 View Post
    Im on the older Sir9 SS with carbon hoops ID 29mm

Im currently running 2.8 Nobby Nic up front and 2.4 Ardent out back with a suspension fork. The Nobby Nic was better "to me" in the wetter conditions. Having some slippage up front now in the dry on hard packed loose rocky sections.

I was running rigid with 3.0 Chupa up front and 2.4 Ardent out back. This is a killer setup for me. I never had any issues. My shoulders finally asked for a rest from the rigid.

My Optimus Ti is on the way!!! Super stoked to get it rolling. Im gonna be rolling similar to you. SS and I29mm hoops and Tom suggested the Rekons F& R. This was probably a Useless post from me but seeing your bike Im ready to roll out on the Optimus Ti.

Great to hear your getting an Op Ti!! Welcome to the club!

On my i29mm Flow MK3’s, my “trail” combo is a Rekon 2.6 front and an Ardent 2.4 rear. Didn’t like the Rekon in back because it was too heavy and draggy feeling. I also run a “race” combo of Ikon 2.35’s both front and rear.

That said, my favorite setup on the bike is a “plus” setup with a sunRingle Duroc 40 (i36mm) and I9 wheelset, running WTB Ranger 3.0’s. On the wider wheels, these rock. Fast, fun ride!

Good luck, and keep us updated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Jun 2015

On my i29mm Flow MK3’s, my “trail” combo is a Rekon 2.6 front and an Ardent 2.4 rear. Didn’t like the Rekon in back because it was too heavy and draggy feeling. I also run a “race” combo of Ikon 2.35’s both front and rear.

That said, my favorite setup on the bike is a “plus” setup with a sunRingle Duroc 40 (i36mm) and I9 wheelset, running WTB Ranger 3.0’s. On the wider wheels, these rock. Fast, fun ride!

Thanks Man. I guess I should have said Im one of the SSMilitia guys. Jason Myers on the FB chat thing. Wife just texted a few min ago, FedEx has dropped off some stuff.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by RacerM41 View Post
    Thanks Man. I guess I should have said Im one of the SSMilitia guys. Jason Myers on the FB chat thing. Wife just texted a few min ago, FedEx has dropped off some stuff.

Right on, and ooooooooh!!!
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Nice bike! I have a Seven Ti fully rigid SS that I run DT Swiss XM 481 rims with DT Swiss DB spokes 3x laced to a Hadley SS hubs. The front gets switched out with i35 WTB Asym or WTB i40 Scaper. The rear tire now is Schwalbee 2.35 RR but it gets loose hear so that gets switched to the 2.6 NN’s. The front is the 2.6 NN on the Scraper or the ONZA Ibex 2.4 on the ASYM.
    The DT rims are bomb proof I’ve pounded those rims with too low pressure on my rides are they take it. Eventually I’ll go with a i35 rim in back but theses DT Swiss are holding up great for now.
    [COLOR="Black"]HARDMTNBIKER on Instagram

Seven Sola SLX ENVE MTN SS
    Sir9 Carbon Niner SS
    #1gearallyear #Iridemtn

Not a Barry supporter.

Does it have to be a Ti to be in this club? I mean, my Jabber is 11 yrs old so I think I was one of the first in that club. Although, she's just a canal rider now as she's been replaced with something a little sweeter. She's still a great ride.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash_FLMB View Post
    Does it have to be a Ti to be in this club? I mean, my Jabber is 11 yrs old so I think I was one of the first in that club. Although, she's just a canal rider now as she's been replaced with something a little sweeter. She's still a great ride.

But of course! Hope all is well! I’d say I’ll see you on the trail, but you don’t ride the kitty litter...LOL!

Ride more; post less...

Not a Barry supporter.
    Yep, never ride that trail. Then again, with 3 kiddos and 1 heavily in the soccer scene, I run more than ride due to time constraints.

Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Sounds awesome! My only (minor) concern is running 3.0 tires on an i29 rim, and compromising the profile of the tire. That's why I switched to the Rekon's, and why I'm considering a Duroc wheelset, in order to run 3.0's.
    I had a blowout with the Panaracer (sounds like their tires just suck (end rant)). I went to the Chupa, I love it, it's been great and fits the rim just fine.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    How has the Optimus Ti been so far? I've been interested in a 29+ frame. I've had a Krampus, but it was so heavy. Looked at carbon options, but then remembered Vassago. I'd be setting it up with carbon rims (probably Lightbicycle) ~35-38ID, probably Minion 2.8's for rough stuff and some sort of 2.6/2.4 combo for XC riding. Then Whiskey boost carbon fork.

Any issues you've had?

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by 2:01 View Post
    How has the Optimus Ti been so far? I've been interested in a 29+ frame. I've had a Krampus, but it was so heavy. Looked at carbon options, but then remembered Vassago. I'd be setting it up with carbon rims (probably Lightbicycle) ~35-38ID, probably Minion 2.8's for rough stuff and some sort of 2.6/2.4 combo for XC riding. Then Whiskey boost carbon fork.

Any issues you've had?
    The Optimus Ti is/was fantastic...though I just sold it because I built up a Pivot LES SS, and have been riding that. Couldn't justify keeping both, so will play on carbon for the time being. But I'd highly, highly recommend the Vassago.

That said, I evolved last year to do most of my riding on Bontrager XR2 2.6's, which are a great, light, fast-rolling tire. Initially, I had them on the Duroc 40 36mm ID rims, then built up a lighter, Nox Farlow/I9 29mm ID wheelset, and that was a great combo. I did multiple long-distance events on them.

I've gone back to 2.35 Ikons on the Farlows now, on my LES SS, but I think the sweet spot for the Vassago is the XR2 2.6's on a 30-35mm ID carbon rim.
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    May 2010
    The Optimus Ti is/was fantastic...though I just sold it because I built up a Pivot LES SS, and have been riding that. Couldn't justify keeping both, so will play on carbon for the time being. But I'd highly, highly recommend the Vassago.

That said, I evolved last year to do most of my riding on Bontrager XR2 2.6's, which are a great, light, fast-rolling tire. Initially, I had them on the Duroc 40 36mm ID rims, then built up a lighter, Nox Farlow/I9 29mm ID wheelset, and that was a great combo. I did multiple long-distance events on them.

I've gone back to 2.35 Ikons on the Farlows now, on my LES SS, but I think the sweet spot for the Vassago is the XR2 2.6's on a 30-35mm ID carbon rim.
    Thanks for the response. I was looking at the LES as well, but I wanted 29+. I will look into the tire/wheel combos you mentioned.

One thing about Vassago, seems like the customer service is hit and miss. No phone number, and some delayed responses.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by 2:01 View Post
    Thanks for the response. I was looking at the LES as well, but I wanted 29+. I will look into the tire/wheel combos you mentioned.

One thing about Vassago, seems like the customer service is hit and miss. No phone number, and some delayed responses.
    Understood re 29+; if that's what I wanted, I would have definitely stayed with the Optimus.

Re the customer service, yep, can be a bit hit and miss. Just hit the email, and also message Tom Vassago on Facebook Messenger, as he checks that.
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    I think I agree with this especially with a rigid fork. I run 2.4s with a suspension fork for racing (none of the tread patterns I like seem to be available in 2.6 yet though maxxis forekaster looks promising) and when I switched to rigid for the winter I thought the BB was too low for rock gardens around here. I put on some 2.8 terrene's (2.7ish width measured) and it felt a lot better.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.