Vassago jabberwocky or Misfit diSSent?- Mtbr.com
    It's Scotch/Romanian

Vassago jabberwocky or Misfit diSSent?

I realize that one is steel and one is aluminium, but both seem to be fairly inexpensive, good quality frames. I want to build a rigid for JRA. What is the maximum size tire that will fit on either frame?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    i'd go with steel and the jabber.....well i did.
    with it being rigid, steel is where it's at.
    although nspacess misfit is SICK..

It's Scotch/Romanian
    Yes, that is a good looking bike. But from the angle it doesn't look like alot of room by those seatstays and I want to run a weirwolf 2.55.

You know, for kids
    look into the Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.4, much lighter than a Weirwolf and almost as big. While I have not fitted one to my Jabberwocky, I don't think I'd have a problem doing it seeing the space I have with the Panaracer Rampage 2.35

Or you could do a Weirwolf up front no problems and a slightly smaller tire on the rear, like a Rampage or Racing Ralph or Exiwolf
    disclaimer: I sell and repair bicycles

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    vassago's claim is muddy 2.3s in back...so no go on the weirwolfs. not sure about misfit. you thinking about a snow bike?

It's Scotch/Romanian
    Not really a snow bike per se, but I like the idea of a bigger tire to help take the edge off Not much snow here in CA.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    aaahhh, i see. snow is all that's on my mind lately....unfortunately..
    what can the surly monkey run?

Bored
    The Misfit can definitely handle the wide tires. I have the Schwalbe RR 2.4's on mine and there is room to spare around the chain stays. My shot of the chain stay doesn't really reflect how much room there is, but about 1cm on each side of clearance.

While I have no experience with the Vassago the misfit is definitely one of the best riding bike's I've ever had. I also prefer the idea of a sliding drop out vs a horizontal drop out when using discs.

It also includes the fork. http://www.psyclestore.com/product_i...9ed38ff1523da8
    Attached Images Attached Images
    MTBR is serious stuff.
    You never get better until you get out of your comfort zone.

I am the owl
    What's the true width of the Weirwolf 2.55? WTB tires run smaller than stated in my experience. Shiggy's site has the 26" width 2.55 listed as pretty much the same as the Nevegal 29x2.2 (I'm running that on the Vassago) - I couldn't find the Weirwolf 29er listed.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

It's Scotch/Romanian
    I think the width/volume will vary a bit based on the width of the rim. I am planning on running delgado rims, so it might(?) be a little closer to actual width. Worst case scenario, I purchase one and if it does'nt fit I will use it up front.

I am the owl
    Yes, width will vary based on the rim. I run Delgados for what it's worth. Rampage 2.35 and Nevegal 2.2 are basically the same width on that rim.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I run a Weirwolf 2.55 in the front and an Exiwolf 2.3 in the rear. No issues, even when very muddy. A muddy 2.55 in the rear would be iffy though. Oh, I've got the Jabberwocky.
    Namrita K. O'Dea, MS, RD
    Topeak-Ergon
    Blog
    55nine Performance

Bored
    Quote Originally Posted by verbalkc
    aaahhh, i see. snow is all that's on my mind lately....unfortunately..
    what can the surly monkey run?
    Surly KM can easily handle the Wier's... Because the Schwalbe is only a bit bigger, they will easily fit in there too.
    MTBR is serious stuff.
    You never get better until you get out of your comfort zone.

Misfit Psycles
    Quote Originally Posted by john cocktoastin
    Yes, that is a good looking bike. But from the angle it doesn't look like alot of room by those seatstays and I want to run a weirwolf 2.55.
    the dissent has hour glass stays and 2.55's fit very well (in both the front and rear) with room to spare...whats the biggest? dont know in practical terms.

these photos come from a promotional set done recently - the photos arent edited or clean persay...and well they dont really show the full clearance but...they are pictures...and pictures are always a nice use of bandwidth.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

It's Scotch/Romanian
    Thanks nogearshere-

That definately helps. Nice to see a manufacturer/rep(?) chime in to resolve the question at hand.

Quote Originally Posted by nogearshere
    the dissent has hour glass stays and 2.55's fit very well (in both the front and rear) with room to spare...whats the biggest? dont know in practical terms.

these photos come from a promotional set done recently - the photos arent edited or clean persay...and well they dont really show the full clearance but...they are pictures...and pictures are always a nice use of bandwidth.

Misfit Psycles
    Quote Originally Posted by john cocktoastin
    Thanks nogearshere-

That definately helps. Nice to see a manufacturer/rep(?) chime in to resolve the question at hand.
    no worries, have to be careful though you know...
    Forum rules for users, dealers, manufacturers HERE>> .
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I also prefer the idea of a sliding drop out vs a horizontal drop out when using discs.
    No experience on the decent, cool bike but I would ride any tire on a steel frame over alum.

The reason for my post though is the disc brake comment. I bought a Jabberwocky based on the price, steel and the fact that disc brakes are designed into the dropouts. I use a Hope QR and 6" avid BB7s. Unlike the KM, the Jabber slides right out when needed.

I ride a rigid steel but cant handle alum with a squishy fork, JMO.
    --"In the summer we wore meat helmets..."

Members who have read this thread: 0