v-brakes and tire rub issue- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    beer *****es n' bikes
    Reputation: seely's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    663

    v-brakes and tire rub issue

    I am swapping a 2.4 onto the front of my SS, and noticed that when I lock the brakes, the arms rub on the tire for whatever reason. I haven't had this problem on any other bike including my 1991 Miele. Anyways anyone have any ideas how I can alleviate this problem? I would really hate to switch back to canti's just for the extra clearance, but the Avid arms seem to always be toeing in too much on this frame (9x Peugeot MTB) for whatever reason?
    bike dude, velocity employee (this is my personal account)

  2. #2
    Powered by Pulvoron
    Reputation: dirt diggler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    349
    seely,
    switch out the spacers/washers in the brake pads..

    dirt diggler

  3. #3
    drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Reputation: Drevil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,906
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt diggler
    seely,
    switch out the spacers/washers in the brake pads..

    dirt diggler
    This is the best and most obvious fix. If that doesn't work, some other things I've tried is getting extra spacers off older brake pads and building them up on the new ones. I've also resorted to using the shoes that have replaceable pads, then finding the fattest (in width) pad I could. You can also try using skinnier (in height) pads such as Kool Stop's Thinline pads because you'll need to start the arms farther back, and there might be problems with the pads rubbing against the sidewalls. A last ditch is to use "parallel push" style V-brakes such as XT or XTR because they don't arc in their travel and can clear bulbous tires more easily.

  4. #4
    "Mr. Britannica"
    Reputation: roadiegonebad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,818

    the obvious answer

    Quote Originally Posted by seely
    I am swapping a 2.4 onto the front of my SS, and noticed that when I lock the brakes, the arms rub on the tire for whatever reason. I haven't had this problem on any other bike including my 1991 Miele. Anyways anyone have any ideas how I can alleviate this problem? I would really hate to switch back to canti's just for the extra clearance, but the Avid arms seem to always be toeing in too much on this frame (9x Peugeot MTB) for whatever reason?
    Don't lock the brakes. Sorry, but you knew it was coming. Someone will prob suggest switching out to a front disc set up next.

  5. #5
    Recovering Weight Weenie
    Reputation: Padre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,814
    not to be rude... but i can run almost any tire out there using my fancy, hyper-techy disc brakes! =)

  6. #6
    drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Reputation: Drevil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,906
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    not to be rude... but i can run almost any tire out there using my fancy, hyper-techy disc brakes! =)
    Yup, buy a new fork, disc brake, lever, and wheel, and you're all set!

Similar Threads

  1. Ahoy! V-brake holdouts!
    By Padre in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 03-23-2004, 10:06 AM
  2. Stans and UST questions....
    By minkhiller in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 02-24-2004, 02:12 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.