V' Brakes on Canti Bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

V' Brakes on Canti Bike

I'm building up a 92 frame and would like to add V' brakes- any issues here- clearance, Cable stops?

beer *****es n' bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by mojo
    I'm building up a 92 frame and would like to add V' brakes- any issues here- clearance, Cable stops?
    No. Just used v-brake levers. Might have to shim the pads but thats about it.
    bike dude, velocity employee (this is my personal account)

ballbuster

I'm almost of the opinion...

... that canti's are better. I get much better braking power from my LX cantis on the SS than I ever did from my V brakes. I went through Sram 7.0s (not bad, better than the cruddy Tektros my bike came with) and Performance Forte Team brakes (much better, but still not rockin') but the LX cantis almost keep up with my Avid Discs on my fully suspended and geared bike. They grab so frickin hard!

It could be that I have Kool Stop pads on them, tho.

The nice plus of Cantis is that you can set modulation on them by changing the hangar height. They are a lot more hassle to set up, but I think the results are better. Somebody said that V brakes were a Shimano conspiracy to allow non-bike people assemble bikes in China for a nickel a day instead of having the LBS do it. I'm kinda starting to believe it.

Yeah, like the other guy said, if you swap out to Vee brakes, you gotta swap levers as well, becuase they pull the cable at a different ratio than Cantis.

highly visible
    As long as you switch to V levers, you're golden. I did this to my old '91 Fuji and the improvement (from DX cantis, albeit with now-unknown pads) was incredible.

BTW, my experience has been that V brakes are much more powerful than cantis in most situations. I upgraded my 'crosser last year from Avid Shorty 6s (good brakes, dialed in well) to Single Digit 7s with the exact same red Ritchey pads (thus making it a valid comparison) and the improvement was substantial. Not that Vs don't have their drawbacks (clearance, weight) but when it comes to power, I place the check mark squarely in the Vs' column.

all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

agreed. cantis better IF set up well

cantis open wider than V brakes so you get much better pad-to-rim clearance for muddy rides, or if you wheel is less than perfectly true.
    canti pads are thicker and last much longer the V pads
    canti pads are cheaper these days
    cantis are more tunable, long high straddle for firm feel with maximum pad to rim clearance; shorter straddle for max power
    don't confuse lever feel with power. firm feel at lever=less power. "mushy" feel at lever=maximum power.
    cantis also have better modulation so you can ride at the ragged edge of skidding without skidding. V brakes feel more "on" or "off" to me with greater chance of accidental skidding.
    I've tried various V brakes on various bikes, always ended up putting my cantis back on.
    with cantis you don't need to buy new levers
    try Ritchey canti pads, they are the best I've used

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Possible v-brake issue on '92 frame

I'm not sure this will be a problem for you, but just in case:

When I first got my '91 Merlin Mountain frame, I bought Avid Single Digit 7's for it. But when I went to mount them, the holes in the flat plate at the bottom of the mounting post were too close to the post, so the spring end that is supposed to anchor the Avids wouldn't fit. Tried Shimanos too, no go.

So I ended up running a pair of vintage purple ano Avid Tri-aligns (cantis), cause their spring is self-contained and doesn't need an anchor hole. These were great, but if not adjusted perfectly, lead to much screeching and the need for scary Flintstone stops.

Finally found a pair of Vees that don't anchor (the only ones?): Paul Motolites.

Haven't looked back.

YMMV
    Porrick

mtbr member

have u checked out KB's rant at Bontrager site about V vs Canti?

read this years ago, when he first posted it... seems to still be there. If I'm recalling correctly he did most of these rants around '95-97.
    Also good tips on setting up your canti's.

http://www.bontrager.com/keith/

Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    ... that canti's are better. I get much better braking power from my LX cantis on the SS than I ever did from my V brakes. I went through Sram 7.0s (not bad, better than the cruddy Tektros my bike came with) and Performance Forte Team brakes (much better, but still not rockin') but the LX cantis almost keep up with my Avid Discs on my fully suspended and geared bike. They grab so frickin hard!

It could be that I have Kool Stop pads on them, tho.

The nice plus of Cantis is that you can set modulation on them by changing the hangar height. They are a lot more hassle to set up, but I think the results are better. Somebody said that V brakes were a Shimano conspiracy to allow non-bike people assemble bikes in China for a nickel a day instead of having the LBS do it. I'm kinda starting to believe it.

Yeah, like the other guy said, if you swap out to Vee brakes, you gotta swap levers as well, becuase they pull the cable at a different ratio than Cantis.

flexiflyer
    Quote Originally Posted by bulC
    cantis open wider than V brakes so you get much better pad-to-rim clearance for muddy rides, or if you wheel is less than perfectly true.
    canti pads are thicker and last much longer the V pads
    canti pads are cheaper these days
    cantis are more tunable, long high straddle for firm feel with maximum pad to rim clearance; shorter straddle for max power
    don't confuse lever feel with power. firm feel at lever=less power. "mushy" feel at lever=maximum power.
    cantis also have better modulation so you can ride at the ragged edge of skidding without skidding. V brakes feel more "on" or "off" to me with greater chance of accidental skidding.
    I've tried various V brakes on various bikes, always ended up putting my cantis back on.
    with cantis you don't need to buy new levers
    try Ritchey canti pads, they are the best I've used
    Word. 100%.

I'm a fan of the salmon colored Kool Stops...which is similar to (but not quite as good as) the the compound Kool Stop used on the Mathauser pads. I rode the last five+ hours of the 2000 Leadville 100 in pouring rain with half worn pads and had no problems. People with Vs (and even some disc users) were DNFing left and right going metal-to-metal or dropping out because their hands were too cold to adjust their barrel adjusters, etc. I didn't have to adjust anything.

All brake systems have their positive points, but I've never "needed" more than cantis...JMO.

MC

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Followed keith's instructions for canti set up on my commuter

and my brakes are great! IOld school cantis are a good powerful design, just a pain to set up the pads. A "third hand" device helps. My lbs sold me some Koolstop canti pads that feature a pad that unscrews from the post. You leave the post attached to the canti so your setting doesn't change and simply screw on a new pad. I don't know if they still make these.