V-brake hub choice- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

V-brake hub choice

So I'm building an All City JYD and would like some input on rear hub choice.

Musts:

- Short freehub. (No full cassette, no threaded freewheels.)
    - 135x10.
    - Generally a good hub.
    - Solid attachment. (Thru-bolt or bolt-on)

Would very much likes:

- No color (silver).
    - No IS brake attachment. (Center lock is OK.)
    - Light weight.
    - Lots of engagement points.
    - Ethically manufactured (no support for sweat shops or lack of care for environment).

Examples:

- Chris King Classic SS hub. Ticks all boxes except it's a bit hefty.
    - DT Swiss 240s Singlespeed Centerlock. Ticks all boxes including light weight, but is only available in black.
    - Tune Singlespeeder-V. Nice and light, but not sure about durability? Only 24 engagement points.
    - Hadley Racing SS. The IS mount doesn't stand out too much so this one is on the table.
    - Hope SS/Trials. The IS mount is unsightly. Are these made in the UK?

Which one would you choose and why?
    Have I missed any good hubs?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saul Lumikko View Post
    IS brake attachment
    Your answer:
    VeloSolo Shop - Disc Hub Mount Cogs and Accessories
    Ride more!

mtbr member
    That's a tough find, since most mtb hubs have now gone to disc. You may have to get lucky looking for used. I'm not sure you would find freewheel hubs without the disc tabs either. Personally I would go for the Hope, if I were to replace my Surly I would go with that. My reasoning is that I like the pro2 hubs I currently have for the geared bike. The Hopes hit the right price point for quality and color selection for me as well as being easy to service. The company is based in the UK, and I think they are made in the UK as well. Hadley would probably be my 2nd choice, but King I imagine would be awesome as well. Good luck.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    Asphaltdude: I have a bunch of those for fixed riding. 6-bolt cogs are far superior to threaded ones. However, this build will allow coasting so the fixed side is not necessary - in fact I'd rather not have it, so the looks will be clean.

There are three non-IS hubs on the list already. Others are made, but didn't make the list for other reasons.

Basically I'm trying to make up my mind of the candidates I've already chosen, but I will look into other options if they arise.

mtbr member
    I have a Hadley and Hope in SS. I prefer the Hadley. I also have a 240 in Centerlock with full size cassette body but I think the DT is only 18 points of engagement. I never noticed a problem (with 18 pt version; never ran as a SS though) but I've heard some reliability is lost if you change to the 36 point version.

I vote King for the clean appearance.
    Proponent for an Evidence Driven Life.
    Current HTFU status: 4/10; increasing

mtbr member
    I didn't need it for a vbrake bike but in a similar situation I went with the DT swiss. Mostly because it is so easy to service the ratchet mechanism but it doesn't hurt that it has the beefiest bolts I've ever seen to hold the wheel in my track ends.

I don't think I'd be able to resist the allure of a flip/flop hub on the junkyard dog, you're a better man than I
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input!

I have to admit I have one set of disc hoops on my cross bike (WTB Frequency Team i19 rims) and another on my 29er (Stan's Notubes Crest rims) so if I want to go fixed, it's a very short matter of a wheel swap.

That, or the DT240 and a CL-IS-adapter and 6-bolt cog.

I think the cleanest looks, lightest weight and still not the highest price tag would be associated with the DT240s, and as a bonus it would retain flip-flop option. If it weren't for the color I would have ordered it already. I might be mad to seriously consider soda-blasting or otherwise stripping the finish of it!

mtbr member
    Ah I guess that settles that. With the cassette hub I guess it'd be pretty easy to set your freewheeling cog at the same chainline as the disc adapter cog too.

I think I got my hub from bikewagon or some site like that for around 350. Still way more than I wanted to spend, but its been pretty flawless (I've serviced it twice in 2+ years, and once was when I dropped in higher engagement ratchets). Hoping it will prove a good investment once its time to lace up some new rims.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.