Use of Ultegra BB for SS Crankset- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Use of Ultegra BB for SS Crankset

I am building up a SS with various parts I already have. I have tried to understand this point from previous threads but I am still unclear. I have an Ultegra 6500 BB (68 109.5). Am I correct I can only use XTR cranks, and not XT or LX? If I am correct, which XTR model? Or is this simply a bad idea to use the Ultegra BB?

Any help/suggestions would be a appreciated as this is new to me.

not so new
    May 2006
    The Ultegra bb should be used with a road crankset: Shimano 105, Ultegra, or Dura-Ace. Ritchey makes an Octalink crankset, too.

Whether or not you can use your 109.5 bottom bracket depends on your chainline. If you're using a White ENO rear hub (135 mm) and freewheel with a 47.5 chainline, for example, you can use your existing bottom bracket with the chainring in the outer position. But if you're using a hub/cog/freewheel combo with a 52 mm chainline, you'd need a "triple" (118) bottom bracket. The chainring could still be used in the outer position.

Check out Sheldon Brown's chain line info:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_ch.html#chainline

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by durkind
    I am building up a SS with various parts I already have. I have tried to understand this point from previous threads but I am still unclear. I have an Ultegra 6500 BB (68 109.5). Am I correct I can only use XTR cranks, and not XT or LX? If I am correct, which XTR model? Or is this simply a bad idea to use the Ultegra BB?

Any help/suggestions would be a appreciated as this is new to me.
    I'm running a 109 Ultegra with XTR 950 series cranks. These are the ONLY mountain cranks that share the spline withe the road bike cranks. The spline on all other Shimano Octalink stuff( XT, LX) is deeper. I'm using this setup with an AC 5 arm spider and a Salsa ring on the outside. my rear hub is an IRO spin on freewheel style with an ACS freewheel. Chainline is good.
    Last edited by Rivet; 11-05-2006 at 06:28 PM.
    "Do not touch the trim"

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Thanks for the help - I assume a 952 is part of the 950 series. Anywhere besides ebay to look for a set.
    Thanks again

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by durkind
    Thanks for the help - I assume a 952 is part of the 950 series. Anywhere besides ebay to look for a set.
    Thanks again
    ebay is a good place to start. 180mm's are getting very difficult to find, 175's are more common.
    "Do not touch the trim"

velocipede technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivet
    ebay is a good place to start. 180mm's are getting very difficult to find, 175's are more common.
    quick thread hijack sorry people
    rivet, your signature, what was that movies name?
    looking for 20-21" P team

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by hollister
    quick thread hijack sorry people
    rivet, your signature, what was that movies name?
    http://www.fastermovie.com/
    "Do not touch the trim"

Members who have read this thread: 1