Urban riding gearing- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Urban riding gearing

So, say I wanted to ride my SS 29er as an urban bomber. I'm currently running a 32x18 in the dirt and would like to continue to use the 18 in the back. I have a WI SS crank and was thinking of switching to a 38 chainring. Wadda ya think?

dying hurts.
    32/18 is great for a ss 29er on the street.
    i'd leave it alone.
    the pain in the ass of switching chainrings everytime you wanna ride in the dirt isn't worth it.
    spin2win

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I would find 32/18 terribly spinny on-road. I ride 48x16 on the street on my fat tire road bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    When I do SS conversions for friends 26" urban MTB's I find 58-64 gear inches seems to be preferable. Anything less than that would be unnecessary, I think.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ericspin
    So, say I wanted to ride my SS 29er as an urban bomber. I'm currently running a 32x18 in the dirt and would like to continue to use the 18 in the back. I have a WI SS crank and was thinking of switching to a 38 chainring. Wadda ya think?

i'm not sure 38 would be enough. i ride 42x16 fixie on the road. i imagine 42x18 or 44x18 would be better. i did a 92 mile road ride on that gearing on my fixie last weekend... not too many hills. it was a blast!

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    36x16 is a very well rounded gear to use
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

Single Speed Nation
    When you say 'urban bomber' you mean getting from point 'A' to point 'B', right? Not using the city as a bike park?

Hazzah!
    Dec 2003
    34x14 on my 26" for urban duties...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    38:18 should be okay if you want to ride some harder stuff in the urban environment. If you want to commute more I'd run at least a 40t, more likely a 44t since we have hills.

slow biker & railwayfan
    I commute on 42/18 ration MTB in a city with altitudes ranging from 60 to 100 m (pretty flat), it's no problem.

mtbr member
    You'll need a gain ratio between 2.0 and 3.0 to be enjoyable on the road.

Are you planning to convert it permanently to an urban bomber or switch the chainring and chain every time between the trail and road?

I converted my 29SS to a dualie. Had to replace the WI SS cranks with more conventional ones, put on 44 and 38 rings, and put a 18 and 24T cogs on non-SS hubs. I now have gain ratios of about 1.6 for trail and 2.4 for road without changing the chain.

mtbr member
    agree about using bigger ratios or gear inches on the road. i'd shoot for the biggest gear that you can successfully make your steepest-longest local climb.

your frame - BB may set up limitations for the max size of your chainring. you can move it outboard for a bigger gear, but that could conflict with chainline.

lots of good advice over on RBReview.com on the SS-fixed forum.

mbtr member
    my 26" commuter runs 42x15, which is like 69 gear inches. That's really good for my rolling-flat commute. I'd go 80 gear inches if it was completely flat, and gear down as necessary to make the hills.

I'd try 42x18 or 44x18, provided you don't live in a hilly town or plan to do really technical stuff.
    Last edited by scottzg; 04-14-2010 at 02:07 AM.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks for all the replies. After the reading and doing some research I believe i agree with the 42x18. This bike will mostly be about A to B kind of riding with a little daredevil crap thrown in for fun. You know, a good set of steps, curb hopping, jumping over stuff I probably shouldn't..................

Can't wait to get it built up. Got a great deal on a Rock Lobster SS on one one of my roadie forums and it's just begging to be a town cruisin' stunt bike.

pants on head retarded
    My commuter (700C) is 39x17 right now and it's awful spinny - I lost 15 minutes on the commute versus my geared MTB rolling on knobbies. I plan on 44x17 for the long term. There are three hills on my commute, nothing too terrible (maybe 50 to 100ft elevation change).

mtbr member
    53x11 and then wear a shirt like this

http://www.cafepress.com/+amber_tshirt,290838245
    Ride & Smile

pants on head retarded
    Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Matt
    53x11 and then wear a shirt like this

http://www.cafepress.com/+amber_tshirt,290838245
    ...Amateurs. Everybody knows the true hipsters only drink PBR.

Members who have read this thread: 0