Upgrading from my Surly.....- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Upgrading from my Surly.....

am I really going to feel a big difference moving up to a more "boutique" frameset?

I've come into some extra cash and should have around a grand to spend. I'd like a frame that fits my body alittle better, but only if I'm really gonna feel the difference.

Those of you that have dumped a Surly 1x1 for something nicer, what say you? What did you buy to replace your Surly? And ultimately, was it really worth the money?

Positives from my perspective on the Surly:

It's cheap, no need to treat it really nice.
    Ride is nice and smooth
    Disc or V compatible.
    Its paid for, and I have rigid and suspension forks for it.
    Any size tires fit.

Negatives:

Bottom bracket flex...must be those stays
    Paint finish is getting ugly quick
    Disc setup on the rear wheel can be a pain to get straight.
    Slow to change flats.
    Headtube to short for my fit needs
    Seatpost slips constantly no matter what I do.

I'd like EBB, but its not a requirement, mostly need a tall headtube and a toptube thats not to long. I have a 35.5" inseam, yet I'm only 6'. This seems to put me between 19" and 21" frames. The 21's have the headtube I need, but then the toptube is long.

I assume Curtlo or Vulture are the low priced, custom choices? Who else should I look at? I really like the Spot frame, but the EBB option is outta this world expensive. Would On-One make me a 20"er with a taller headtube?

HELP!

Thanks,

MC

Not because I'm fast.....

Few good options to chose from....

I ride a 22" SURLY 1x1 and built it up with top of the line components, king wheelset, race face, thomson, etc. with the intention of riding it for a few months while I waited for a custom ordered frame. A couple rides on the SURLY though made me forget about going custom all together. The 1x1 just fit me so right and rode so nice I didn't see a need to upgrade the frame. Also, I never feel like the BB area or stays are flexy and I am over 230lbs. It feels like instant power transfer when I mash it up hill.

However, if the fit isn't just right for you that can be a problem, and a custom frame will make a world of difference I'm sure. I would definitely look into Vulture and Curtlo (have you seen Hollywood's new Pink Curtlo beauty!!) for affordable priced customs around or under $1000. If you can live without EBB maybe check out the Gunnar Ruffian for about $750 or cough up $1250 on a nice custom Soulcraft Plowboy.

Decisions, decisions....I have some money burning a hole in my pocket too and I have my eye on a new custom Soulcraft gearie hardtail frame.

Best of luck to you!

Not because I'm fast.....

Oops, my mistake

Sorry, forget about my Gunnar suggestion. They have really long top tubes.

Bikes not Bombs.....

I would recommend the following....

Phil Wood and Co. is bringing out a new Single Speed bike frame, it is steel and made by Sycip. It will feature an EBB and is Disc compatible. I am sure it will be about the same price as the Kiss Off and will be a tremendous frame. It will be called the "SS".

Email Brent at Philwood dot com and I am sure he can fill you in. I think it would be worth the wait.

JS
    Thanks to all of you for your friendships on this board..... -

34N 118W

two words

Go Vulture.

Reasonable price and turnaround.
    Built to your specs.
    ebb.

done.

Quote Originally Posted by MellowCat
    am I really going to feel a big difference moving up to a more "boutique" frameset?

I've come into some extra cash and should have around a grand to spend. I'd like a frame that fits my body alittle better, but only if I'm really gonna feel the difference.

Those of you that have dumped a Surly 1x1 for something nicer, what say you? What did you buy to replace your Surly? And ultimately, was it really worth the money?

Positives from my perspective on the Surly:

It's cheap, no need to treat it really nice.
    Ride is nice and smooth
    Disc or V compatible.
    Its paid for, and I have rigid and suspension forks for it.
    Any size tires fit.

Negatives:

Bottom bracket flex...must be those stays
    Paint finish is getting ugly quick
    Disc setup on the rear wheel can be a pain to get straight.
    Slow to change flats.
    Headtube to short for my fit needs
    Seatpost slips constantly no matter what I do.

I'd like EBB, but its not a requirement, mostly need a tall headtube and a toptube thats not to long. I have a 35.5" inseam, yet I'm only 6'. This seems to put me between 19" and 21" frames. The 21's have the headtube I need, but then the toptube is long.

I assume Curtlo or Vulture are the low priced, custom choices? Who else should I look at? I really like the Spot frame, but the EBB option is outta this world expensive. Would On-One make me a 20"er with a taller headtube?

HELP!

Thanks,

MC

mtbr member

My surly sounds...

like yours. I had the RF, Thompson, King stuff laying around from my old gearie HT. My wheels are junk though. I'm between getting some new wheels and going all the way with the Vulture/Curtlo or XYZ brand bike.

Hit 1x1Craig up about the Soulcraft, he's got one.

MC

mtbr member

Why not..

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood
    Go Vulture.

Reasonable price and turnaround.
    Built to your specs.
    ebb.

done.
    Curtlo? Didn't you just get one?

I've never seen any pics of a Vulture other than Sparty's. Anyone else reading this have some good pics of their vulture?

MC

You Are What You Is

How about Ventana

What about the Ventana El Toro? I've been eyeing it myself lately. It is aluminum, but it's got an ebb and it's around $875. I've also been checking out the Hammerhead ti frame. It's $1350 with fork and they'll do custom for that price as well. Here's some pics:
    Attached Images Attached Images

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    Would On-One make me a 20"er with a taller headtube?
    On-One doesn't do any custom work, afaik but you can ask Brant.

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004

That Hammerhead is sweet looking!

Nice. I was thinking about a Tinbred but the pound is too damn strong right now.

Cool-blue Rhythm my opinion

In the past year and a half I've spent significant amount of time riding a Surly, a Kona Unit, and an IF. For the most part I used the same build kit on each of the frames. (swapping parts around because of a broken frame)

Compared to the IF and the Kona the Surly rode like bike that was built with thicker heavier tubes - harsher on the rough stuff and it felt less springy and resilient than the other two.

On the plus side the geometry of the surly was spot on with an 80mm fork and I would assume that this is a frame that's going to last.

The ride of the kona and the IF was very similar. (very nice)

Someone wrote recently that "ride quality is in the ass of the beholder" - placebo effect or real discernible differences???? What-ev! That's how I see it !

The Top Cap Guy
    I'd leaning towards a Vulture for you.... only because in my phone conversations with all the builders before I bought my bike Wade took the time and explained he will fit the bike to me. He has a fit questionaire you need to fill out and then he'll cutom a frame out to you... and at that point you can get your head tube the way you want and still get a great bike that fits you. I believe he also said he uses different tubes to match to your needs... This is all coming from my fuzzy 1 year ago memory... so if anyone knows different (or things have changed) just straighten me out! Besides I want to see a Vulture in this neck of the woods.

Wade also has some new rear chainstay yokes.... very manly!

Here's the link.... http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=704

I'm sure a Vulture is in my future! Just need some cash to get it here (and stop buying road bike parts)! Besides you know your not going to get hit hard on selling the Surly! So the Cdale CX bike is gone now???

I say Go for it!

FF
    "If I'm leading, I'm bleeding."

mtbr member

Vulture looks

cool. Love those stays, not sure I'm keen about the build weight though, my 20" Surly is less than that Vulture. I would like to have something more in the low 20lb range if I'm spending a Grand on a new ride.

Girchy is supposed to let me know on the Cdale tomorrow. I got a bonus at work too....I really have about $1300 to spend, but I want a better back wheel with this new build too so keeping $300 aside for that and a new seatpost.

Why would you want a Vulture? Whats wrong with your Ti Spicer?

MC

mtbr member

Not much on Aluminum...

Quote Originally Posted by P-Funk
    What about the Ventana El Toro? I've been eyeing it myself lately. It is aluminum, but it's got an ebb and it's around $875. I've also been checking out the Hammerhead ti frame. It's $1350 with fork and they'll do custom for that price as well. Here's some pics:
    anymore, but the Ventana looks like a nice frame. Steel frames have me spoiled, the ride quality is better in my opinion. Is that Hammerhead Ti?

MC

mtbr member

I have a Jamis..

Quote Originally Posted by (Tom)
    In the past year and a half I've spent significant amount of time riding a Surly, a Kona Unit, and an IF. For the most part I used the same build kit on each of the frames. (swapping parts around because of a broken frame)

Compared to the IF and the Kona the Surly rode like bike that was built with thicker heavier tubes - harsher on the rough stuff and it felt less springy and resilient than the other two.

On the plus side the geometry of the surly was spot on with an 80mm fork and I would assume that this is a frame that's going to last.

The ride of the kona and the IF was very similar. (very nice)

Someone wrote recently that "ride quality is in the ass of the beholder" - placebo effect or real discernible differences???? What-ev! That's how I see it !

Dragon as well as the Surly. The Dragon has 853 main tubes like the IF. The ride of the Jamis is noticably better than the Surly, more lively, the bike just seems to respond much faster and with more snap than the Surly. I would just keep the Dragon built as a SS(I have a ENO rear wheel for it) but the desire for discs front and rear and better clearance for large tires is making me look around.

MC

mtbr member

Ti Inbred...

Quote Originally Posted by daveIT
    Nice. I was thinking about a Tinbred but the pound is too damn strong right now.
    is on my list too. The headtubes are kinda short for my needs thought. I do like the price for a EBB, Ti SS though, just not sure I can make the geo work for me.

MC

"Mr. Britannica"

other low priced custom

Gene Spicer for sure. Tom Teesdale (currently running a special).

The Top Cap Guy
    [QUOTE=MellowCat]Why would you want a Vulture? Whats wrong with your Ti Spicer?
    {/QUOTE]

Nothing is wrong with the Spicer, it's my light weight racer... I want another SS bike that has front suspension and tons of clearance for tires... weight will not be a huge issue with it as long as it is 25lbs or less.... that Black Vulture was purposely built up burly, not sure what an average Vulture Steel EBB frame weights (SPARTY??).... I want another SS so that my Heckler will never get ridden...lol... my next SS will be more of an "all mountain" bike than a weight weenie racer....

FF

If you have $1300 and can wait- a Sycip/Phil Wood frame would be super sweet! Check with Brent at PW on costs and availability.
    "If I'm leading, I'm bleeding."

"Mr. Britannica"
    [QUOTE=Fast Freddy]
    Why would you want a Vulture? Whats wrong with your Ti Spicer?
    {/QUOTE]

Nothing is wrong with the Spicer, it's my light weight racer... I want another SS bike that has front suspension and tons of clearance for tires... weight will not be a huge issue with it as long as it is 25lbs or less.... that Black Vulture was purposely built up burly, not sure what an average Vulture Steel EBB frame weights (SPARTY??).... I want another SS so that my Heckler will never get ridden...lol... my next SS will be more of an "all mountain" bike than a weight weenie racer....

FF

If you have $1300 and can wait- a Sycip/Phil Wood frame would be super sweet! Check with Brent at PW on costs and availability.
    or a Dean.......

34N 118W
    Just ASSuming he doesn't want to wait 5 months or longer. If time isn't a factor, then go for it. I paid $750. Wade may be a bit cheaper and quicker.

Curtlo? Didn't you just get one?

I've never seen any pics of a Vulture other than Sparty's. Anyone else reading this have some good pics of their vulture?

MC

Keep Singlespeeding Evil
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood
    Just ASSuming he doesn't want to wait 5 months or longer. If time isn't a factor, then go for it. I paid $750. Wade may be a bit cheaper and quicker.
    I would wait 6 month for a Curtlo .... or maybe 7?