Upgrades- Mtbr.com

Thread: Upgrades

mtbr member

Upgrades

Hi, here is a picture of my singlespeed. I'm looking at doing some upgrades. I was just hoping for some ideas or recommendations.
    Possibilities include:

Eccentric bottom bracket to be able to remove chain tensioner. The bb is standard English thread.
    Singlespeed specific rear wheel, maybe a hope 4 hub.
    120mm front fork, this bike is a bit twitchy downhill.

I'm also wondering if it would be worth retiring this old bike and getting a 29er. ( my race bike is a 29er, and works well where I live with lots of Rocky Mountains.

Thanks for any help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Downcountry AF
    option D.

I would sell it and put the money towards something with more potential.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    ^Agreed. I've spent too much time, effort, and money adding nice parts to crappy bikes. In the end it is a crappy bike with nice parts that not that great.

If you upgrade anything get parts that will go on a virtually any new bike with current technology/standards, e.g. carbon bars, saddle, brakes, etc.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the advice. I don't want to start a never ending debate, but specifically for singlespeed, what wheel size would anyone recommend. I'd think 29er would be best for traction, but would the big wheels flex and be more hard work on steep inclines?

Downcountry AF
    29er for SS, hands down, no question. there is no down side.

a well built wheel with the appropriate rim and spoke count for your weight will have no perceivable flex. 29" wheels don't make it harder to climb steep hills, it makes it easier.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Thanks, that's what I thought. Next question is singlespeed specific wheels. They seem to be heavier, but I guess have wider flanges and more paws in the free hub. Is that weight penalty worth it?
    For example American Classic do a standard race 29er wheel at about 1490g and their SS wheel set is 1890g?

Downcountry AF
    how much do you weigh? how hard do you ride? how gnarly is your terrain? what tires are you planning/thinking of using?
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    I'm 65kg, ride tough rocky terrain, race Xc and marathon. I think I am quite a smooth rider. I use. 2.2 or 2.35 icons on my race bike.

mtbr member
    I'm thinking, if I change bikes, I'd get either one9rdo or a pivotles

Downcountry AF
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbgage View Post
    Next question is singlespeed specific wheels. They seem to be heavier, but I guess have wider flanges and more paws in the free hub. Is that weight penalty worth it?
    For example American Classic do a standard race 29er wheel at about 1490g and their SS wheel set is 1890g?
    I'm 65kg, ride tough rocky terrain, race Xc and marathon. I think I am quite a smooth rider. I use. 2.2 or 2.35 icons on my race bike.
    SS specific hubs are great IMO. shouldn't really be significantly heavier, and yes with wider flanges and even spoke tension they build a stronger wheel. I also prefer high engagement, especially for SS. I can't comment on the specific wheelsets your comparing, don't know what they are? I prefer to pick each component of a wheel and built them the way i like.

at your weight a 1500g wheelset sounds reasonable, and you may not benefit a lot from a wider flange SS hub? (maybe someone else can elaborate on that?) really depends on the components being used and quality of the build. I'm a lot heavier than you so i don't know a lot about light wheel components.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    FYI, if you have a standard threaded BB you cannot get an eccentric bottom bracket. Pretty sure only PF30 and BB30 shells accept eccentric BB's.
    '15 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    '19 Karate Monkey
    Motobecane Boris
    Raleigh Willard 3, Furley & Militis 3 (SS)
    Nashbar Carbon Road

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Regarding the American Classic wheels you're comparing, you are looking at their WideLightning vs. there regular rim used on the SS build. The weight difference is is the rim, not the hub. I have both the SS and geared versions of those AC hubs and while they are light, the difference between them is quite small. Generally speaking though, an SS specific hub is lighter than the geared version because the freehub body is shorter. This is especially true for hubs that use steel freehub bodies.

Do they make an eccentric bottom bracket for english threaded bottom brackets? All the ones I've seen are used in a BB30 shell.

Personally, I think I'd spend the money to buy a nice, single speed specific frame that rolls on 29r wheels and uses more modern geometry. This will solve your handling problem and your tensioner problem, and give you an excuse to build up a really nice wheel set. I'm a big fan of NOX carbon rims, but if you're budget limited there are aluminum options out there as well. Hope Pro4 hubs are a nice budget option, DT240s with the 54t ratchet, I9s, or Chris Kings are all nice as well.

mtbr member
    Just for reference
    English threaded eccentric be
    http://www.trickstuff.de/en/products/exzentriker_KL.php

mtbr member
    I wouldn't spend that much on an EBB. Better off spending $25 on a tensioner and saving some money and getting a new bike. Sliders are the way to go IMO. I've had 3 bikes with sliders. Once with an EBB. I just took the EBB off the bike that had it and sent it back. Junk! No problems with any of the sliders and I just ordered a new frame last night to build a SSCX bike and it has sliders. Some people love and swear by the EBB...not me after the experience I went through.

And on the topic of hubs...my weapon of choice is Hope. I had a Chris King SS hub and it was nice. 72 POE was awesome. But hubs like that are $$$$$$$$. Hope is a great bang for the buck hub. Look nice. Work great. Easy to service. Great customer service. Well priced. And honestly...going from 72 POE to 40 with my Pro 2 EVO and 44 with my newest Pro 4...honestly...there's not enough difference to warrant the extra cost. 44 POE is plenty. You can buy a front and rear Hope Pro 4 for the price of just a rear CK. And if you really feel the need to have more...Hope Trials is 88 POE for $200.
    Super snowflake = when an avatar offends you so much you have to cry about it and report it to admin. Life must suck for you.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    AC sucks!, sure they are light but don't last. Get a nice single speed specific hub from CK,I9,321,Hope,Onyx or my fav,Hadley because of the Ti single speed free hub and true 142x12 through axle,not cheesy end caps. Then I recommend DT's XM481 rims, don't waste your time with narrow (28 inner width or less) rims. Especially where you want grinding out of the saddle traction. Just my 2cents
    Thanks, that's what I thought. Next question is singlespeed specific wheels. They seem to be heavier, but I guess have wider flanges and more paws in the free hub. Is that weight penalty worth it?

[COLOR="Black"]HARDMTNBIKER on Instagram

Seven Sola SLX ENVE MTN SS
    Sir9 Carbon Niner SS
    #1gearallyear #Iridemtn

mtbr member
    Just to play devil's advocate about a SS-specific wheelset, it's worth considering the benefits of a dedicated SS wheelset versus the future options you'd have with a geared hub. Maybe down the road (err...trail ) you'll want to use the wheelset with gears? Or perhaps you'll want or need to sell them and there are many more potential buyers if it's not SS.

Just something to keep in mind. I've been all-in with singlespeeding for the last couple years but realized that I really need to spend more time on gears because my training hit a plateau. I was planning to put some gears on one of my SS bikes and...the wheelset is for SS only.

mtbr member
    I plan on getting 12x142 then I can use my wheel off my other bike if I want a hardtail with gears.

mtbr member
    I just had a chat with a guy who makes titanium frames, he reckons he can make me a bespoke frame for less than either the niner or pivot. Now I'm getting excited!