Upgrade Wheelset- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Upgrade Wheelset

Lookin to upgrade my wheelset on my ss. What, if price was no object, would be your choice for hub/rim/spokes combo? lookig at king/wb/dt and maybe delgado rims. anything else i should be considering?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    did you consider phil or paul hubs?

i love my paul's

www.paulcomp.com
    (not a shill, just a satisfied customer)

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by rhadrj
    Lookin to upgrade my wheelset on my ss. What, if price was no object, would be your choice for hub/rim/spokes combo? lookig at king/wb/dt and maybe delgado rims. anything else i should be considering?
    Cost no object?
    Probably these with a special order SS hub

Figure $3000-5000 for the wheelset and $100+ for each tire.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2...bular_MTB_tire
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

No Justice = No Peace

Phil HUbs are beautiful.

I still like the DT 240 ss and I like the idea that you can service it with one or two wrenches that you already own. I have never had catastrophic hub failure on the trail, and I wouldn't probably have tools with me to repair it, but like the simplicity of the design.
    "Welcome to my underground lair...."

Hit The Road Cyclery
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Cost no object?
    Probably these with a special order SS hub

Figure $3000-5000 for the wheelset and $100+ for each tire.
    Nah, they aren't that expensive. I work with one of the distributors who is involved with getting a carbon tubular MTB wheelset on the market here (the wheels are already out in Europe). The projected cost is in line with any high-end carbon road wheelset and the tires run ~$110 each retail. I can get the exact numbers if you're interested. I'll probably be testing them this spring and I'll keep you all informed of how well they work.

As for what I'd ride if money were no object, probably custom color Phil's or Paul's with a custom color Velocity disc rim. Basically the same thing I currently ride with a little blingbling action. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by -Anomie-
    Nah, they aren't that expensive. I work with one of the distributors who is involved with getting a carbon tubular MTB wheelset on the market here (the wheels are already out in Europe). The projected cost is in line with any high-end carbon road wheelset and the tires run ~$110 each retail. I can get the exact numbers if you're interested. I'll probably be testing them this spring and I'll keep you all informed of how well they work...
    OK, so they are "only" $1600-2000 ish. Add my desire for the SS specific rear hub, CX-Ray spokes instead of Lasers...
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

no fat chicks
    those wheels on EP's PUSS would pretty much own
    methinks they were dt hubs and mavic tubeless rims
    #1 NORBA elite singlespeed racer 30-34 age group

Peace & Love
    I have what I still think is the perfect single speed wheelset......very durable, not terribly heavy, can run UST, and they look good.

Phil Wood hubs / White Industries Freewheel / DT Swiss 4.1d rims

purely my opinion, but I like freewheels as much if not more than cassette setups. for cassette, i would probably do the same wheelset replacing the Phils with Hadleys.

Members who have read this thread: 0