Update: 650b and tubeless SASS- Mtbr.com
    Retro Grouch

Update: 650b and tubeless SASS

Well, the 650b another ride on the 650b SASS; this time I converted the non UST (or tubeless ready) Nevegal 2.35 to tubeless (Stan's Notube sealant with Stan's 355 rims). The ride today was Wilder Ranch; the Eucalyptus and Enchanted loops. This may sound over the top, but I now can not understand anyone that rides with a rigid fork, that does use tubeless tires. The combination of the 650b and tubeless smoothed out the bumps, holes and roots to a new level; even technical climbing was easier. I have previously tried running standard 26" 2.30 Hutchinson Pythons @ 30 lbs with a rigid fork and front end wallowed badly. There was none of that with the tubeless. With the rolling nature of the 650b and the suppleness of the tubeless, I know have to reset my limits with a rigid fork. Another way to explain it is, it's like the wheels now have a dampener. I'm faster, with a smoother ride, more in control, and climb technical sections with less effort. Hmm, but you no what? I think I need more riding time. I'll get back to you...OH BTW I tried to drill a Shimano BMX cog to mount on a disc hub, but a cobalt drill wouldn't even leave a mark; I have since ordered a Tomi Cog..
    Last edited by aka brad; 10-30-2009 at 08:30 PM.
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    Nice, keep the updates on your tubeless coming. Are those folding bead Nevegals?
    Get off the couch and ride!

Retro Grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by Natedogz
    Nice, keep the updates on your tubeless coming. Are those folding bead Nevegals?
    Yes, they were the folding style..

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by aka brad
    This may sound over the top, but I now can not understand anyone that rides with a rigid fork, that does use tubeless tires. The combination of the 650b and tubeless smoothed out the bumps, holes and roots to a new level; even technical climbing was easier. I have previously tried running standard 26" 2.30 Hutchinson Pythons @ 30 lbs with a rigid fork and front end wallowed badly. There was none of that with the tubeless. With the rolling nature of the 650b and the suppleness of the tubeless, I know have to reset my limits with a rigid fork. Another way to explain it is, it's like the wheels now have a dampener. I'm faster, with a smoother ride, more in control, and climb technical sections with less effort. Hmm, but you no what? I think I need more riding time. I'll get back to you...OH BTW I tried to drill a Shimano BMX cog to mount on a disc hub, but a cobalt drill wouldn't even leave a mark; I have since ordered a Tomi Cog..
    Yup. 650B was not around when I got my first 29er, but a carbon fork and tubeless makes my Inbred very capable, it is just the motor that is lacking.

Your description is exactly what I learned as well, especially the parts I highlighted in bold. Enjoy it, and TomiCogs rawk, I have two, I like them so much.
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

mtbr member

I built a 650 b front wheel for my bike, I have not noticed any improvement yet over my 26 wheel, same rim and tire, but I have not tried going back to the 26 yet.
    I will give it more time.

Well, the 650b another ride on the 650b SASS; this time I converted the non UST (or tubeless ready) Nevegal 2.35 to tubeless (Stan's Notube sealant with Stan's 355 rims). The ride today was Wilder Ranch; the Eucalyptus and Enchanted loops. This may sound over the top, but I now can not understand anyone that rides with a rigid fork, that does use tubeless tires. The combination of the 650b and tubeless smoothed out the bumps, holes and roots to a new level; even technical climbing was easier. I have previously tried running standard 26" 2.30 Hutchinson Pythons @ 30 lbs with a rigid fork and front end wallowed badly. There was none of that with the tubeless. With the rolling nature of the 650b and the suppleness of the tubeless, I know have to reset my limits with a rigid fork. Another way to explain it is, it's like the wheels now have a dampener. I'm faster, with a smoother ride, more in control, and climb technical sections with less effort. Hmm, but you no what? I think I need more riding time. I'll get back to you...OH BTW I tried to drill a Shimano BMX cog to mount on a disc hub, but a cobalt drill wouldn't even leave a mark; I have since ordered a Tomi Cog..

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    Yes, they were the folding style..
    Thanks, I'm about 200 lbs geared up do you think I'll be ok with my 29er Nevegals setup ghetto tubeless?

Retro Grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by Natedogz
    Thanks, I'm about 200 lbs geared up do you think I'll be ok with my 29er Nevegals setup ghetto tubeless?
    Stan's does not recommend 29er folding tires, so as long as you went with wire bead you should be al right.

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    Thanks for the info and looking forward to more of your long-term updates.

mtbr member
    Im tempted to really go into tubeless right now to absorb some of the trail bumps! man... wish I had the cash.

trail rat
    Stan's does not recommend 29er folding tires, so as long as you went with wire bead you should be al right.
    I see that as the necessary CYA official statement in our litigious nation.

I have run tubeless on two to four wheel sets for the last two years and never used a wire bead tire for it. Run ghetto with a split tube, ghetto with Stan's tape/valve (On-One ReetArd, still my fixed wheel), Stans strips, Stans rims/tape/valves. I have had one burp riding, and a few complications in setup that did not work (38mm Kris Holm unicycle 29er).

Of all the 29er tires I have used, only two are available with wire bead, and one I hate, and the other does not suit most of my riding. I have run Nevegal 29er folding tubeless using Stans strips just fine. WTB, Geax, Maxxis, Continental, Bonty, all folding.

@Natedogz, YMMV, but I say try it.
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

Members who have read this thread: 0