Unintentionally Single and Loving It- Mtbr.com
    MaxTheCyclist.com

Unintentionally Single and Loving It

Well, I've been running a really awesome 2-speed setup with a Paul Melvin. I think I posted about it a long time ago. It was great. I was happy. It was a golden age.

Well, I recently got a new frame (Soma Juice) and lo and behold, that seat tube angle won't take a front derailleur with low gearing (36/22).

So.... I just went singlespeed. 18T CK rear cog / 32T Surly chainring, 29" wheels with 2.4/3.0in tires.

Guess it's time to build muscle and embarrass myself. Thanks for reinforcing the "Singlespeeders are surprisingly stronger/faster" stereotype, ya jerks!

See you on the trails!
    Last edited by mdilthey; 11-25-2015 at 11:07 AM.

mtbr member
    "Loving It" is what SS is all about. I pity the people who can't make the conversion. Never heard anyone but singlespeeders be so nuts about what they ride. Congrats. Now just post a pic of your ride

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MaxTheCyclist.com
    I run my own cycling website, so I am not crazy about posting blurry iPhone pics when I'll have a full high-res spread in a few days... but what the hell, I like you guys! You saw it here first!

Soma Juice 29er, Surly Krampus fork. Easton Arc 30 rims to XT hubs, Surly spacers and Chris King cog in the back, X9 crankset with Surly chainring up front. VP Harrier pedals, Jones Loop H-Bar, thomson seatpost and salsa stem. Avid BB7 brakes, compressionless.

Tires are 3.0in Vee Trax Fatty front, 2.4 Maxxis Ardent rear. The Vee is not 3 inches, more like 2.8, so it fits nicely with the geometry. Fun. Fun, fun fun.

Looking at this pic, I realize that I mounted my front tire backwards... tubeless. Off to the shop.

I have a setback thomson on order, and a Whipperman steel bushing-type chain. Steel is real!

mtbr member
    That is a nice build. Love the bars !! What is your impression with the Vee Trax tire?

MaxTheCyclist.com
    Quote Originally Posted by rsb201 View Post
    That is a nice build. Love the bars !! What is your impression with the Vee Trax tire?
    I've been out for about five rides on it, some of them long and some of them rough. I have noticed the 3.4 Ardent with the wide rim more than I've noticed the Vee Trax Fatty in the front, because the increase in traction in the rear makes such a difference on leafy, muddy trails.

Still, it's nice. I'll tell you what I didn't notice; any loss in speed on the pavement or worn-in dirt roads leading to my favorite trails. Since the Vee is very round (not square) and the center knobs are closely spaced and ramped, it's more fast-rolling than the Ardent!