Unintentional Full Squish Singlespeed- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Unintentional Full Squish Singlespeed

Well it was the day before Christmas and I went for a ride on my 1x9 geared squishy bike (should have taken my single-speed in retrospect).

About 6 miles into the ride I was hauling up a hill and POP. the hanger ripped apart and the derailleur ended up in my wheel and fortunately did not damage the spokes much. With all my SS wisdom and preferred riding method i decided, hell. I will just find the best chainline for the most reasonable gear that can run the magic ratio so the chain does not jump off track. I thought i had found it and was cruising along and figured i would just finish my ride like that. the rest of the ride started out ok and seemed like this trail fix was going to hold but kept running into problems where the chain would jump off from what I am guessing was to much rear travel.

I managed to cut the ride short and get out of the woods on the bike so it was not a lost ride and a pretty good "fix"
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    MisFitPsycles DiSSent, ALc - BLINGLESPEED
    Rocky Mountain Altitude
    Surly Ice Cream Truck

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    Nice "fix".

Next time throw some spacers, and a chain tensioner in your ride kit and do the entire SS conversion on the trail.

I joke, but nice temporary fix. Better than walking your bike out of the woods.

Trail Junkie
    Last time I had a derailleur go, it bent the chain, knarled the hanger around underneath and broke 4 spokes..it was a walker day.

The problem with most FS and singlespeed is chain growth due to suspension. That alone can break a chain. You can improvise it into a SS as long as you don't care what gear ratio you want (because you need a straight chainline) and lock out the rear suspension to avoid any significant chain growth.

Or buy a Lenz Sport Milk Money!
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Intense Spider 29 C
    Cervelo S2
    Trek Boone 5 Disc
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Raleigh RX 1.0

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I had the same thing happen but i was not a ss rider at the time. That did not last long!

Members who have read this thread: 0