mtbr member

Unhappy with Spot customer service

I've been trying to purchase a Spot chainring guard for about 4 months now and they still aren't available. I've been talking to Michael at Spot and every time I call (about every other week) he tells me "they should be coming soon" or "they are on there way and I'll have them in a couple of days." He tells me this every damn time. I give him my number and ask him to call me "in a couple of days" but of course I have never received a call from him yet.

I've finally given up on the idea of purchasing as Spot chainring guard. I found a Truvativ, which is the one I originally wanted anyway.

It's not like they make any unique products. You can go to numerous other companies and buy the same thing. How can a company stay in business treating people like this? I've heard numerous complaints from other people about the same exact thing I have experienced.

I'd like to know what other people's experiences are with Spot. Please post it here.

Thanks.

Cold. Blue. Steel.
    Sounds like you hit the Spot!
    (my appologies- couldn't resist)
    Spinning and Grinning...

banned
    Apr 2004

I would not grind

Quote Originally Posted by mckeand13
    I've been trying to purchase a Spot chainring guard for about 4 months now and they still aren't available. I've been talking to Michael at Spot and every time I call (about every other week) he tells me "they should be coming soon" or "they are on there way and I'll have them in a couple of days." He tells me this every damn time. I give him my number and ask him to call me "in a couple of days" but of course I have never received a call from him yet.

I've finally given up on the idea of purchasing as Spot chainring guard. I found a Truvativ, which is the one I originally wanted anyway.

It's not like they make any unique products. You can go to numerous other companies and buy the same thing. How can a company stay in business treating people like this? I've heard numerous complaints from other people about the same exact thing I have experienced.

I'd like to know what other people's experiences are with Spot. Please post it here.

Thanks.
    a small, quirky, indie like Spot or you'll find yourself outside the inner circle.

"No chainring gaurd for you"

mtbr member

I've had...

great luck with Michael, can't relate at all.

Why are you so obsessive on such a small, nearly insignificant item as a chain guard anyway? I bet if you were ordering a frame you'd see the service your looking for. I would also recommend email instead of calling, he'll let know when things come in.

Why didn't you order the chain guard from webcyclery.com or Bikeman.com, they probably had them instock. Spot's not much on selling direct.

For what its worth I have a 5 bolt compact drive guard I'll sell you! 34T if that matters, some scratches. I can't use it on my ENO's. Also have a 32 and a 34 tooth 5 bolt compact drive Spot rings. PM me if you need them.

MC

Thanks.

mtbr member

my reply

Quote Originally Posted by MellowCat
    great luck with Michael, can't relate at all.

Why are you so obsessive on such a small, nearly insignificant item as a chain guard anyway? I bet if you were ordering a frame you'd see the service your looking for. I would also recommend email instead of calling, he'll let know when things come in.

I would rather talk to people directly. It seems that with the advent of email, people are scared to call and talk to an actual person on the other end. Most businesses don't even answer emails anyway from what I've found.

It shouldn't matter what the item is that I'm trying to buy from their cheapest item to most expensive. Business is business. I actually know a person who ordered a frame that was painted in team colors and waited 7 months for it. When they got it, (after a lot of phone calls asking about the timeline) it was two sizes smaller than what they were supposed to build. They got their money back, but they were offered no reconsiliation other than "get in line again." That's just plain shitty business!

Why didn't you order the chain guard from webcyclery.com or Bikeman.com, they probably had them instock. Spot's not much on selling direct.

Nobody had them in stock. I checked and Michael confirmed it on the phone. I work at a bike shop so I was going direct to get an employee purchase. "Oh yeah, we've got a great employee purchase price on those." I dont' care if it was $3.00. It doesn't do me any good if I can't get it.

For what its worth I have a 5 bolt compact drive guard I'll sell you! 34T if that matters, some scratches. I can't use it on my ENO's. Also have a 32 and a 34 tooth 5 bolt compact drive Spot rings. PM me if you need them.

I appreciate the offer but I have a Truvativ guard on the way already. It's for a 4 bolt too.

MC

mtbr member
    I recently ordered a five bolt 110mm chain guard on a Friday and got it on the following Monday from Spot. Shipped US mail.

bike geek
    Thanks.
    In total defense of Spot, my experiences have been quite the opposite. For example, Christmas a couple years ago, my Dad ordered a wool jersey for my wife from Spot. It arrived, wrapped in its plastic pouch. I looked at it, and said it wasn't the color we ordered. We got on the phone to Jessica, 2 days before Christmas, and she immediately put another in the overnight mail. It arrived Christmas Eve. No charge. Just ship the wrong one back when you get a chance is all she said. Turned out the wrong one was the right one afterall, just the plastic pouch they pack them in was see-through blue which made the jersey look the wrong color from the outside. Boy did we feel stupid. I told her all this at Sea Otter last month and she remembered it all. We had a good laugh.

As far as I can tell, Spot is all about good customer service, and their products rock. Granted, their website has been in "construction" mode for several years, and they often don't have a jersey I may want in stock.

And I agree with what the Bike Nazi said. You better be careful coming in here as the new guy (12 posts) and start off by bashing a very cool company that has been doing nothing but good in the world of single speed for a long time (and geared road bikes now, as I witnessed at Sea Otter).

mtbr member

Thanks.

In his defense, he has the right to free speech. If he isn't happy with the service he received, let him vent.

I mean, come on, what self respecting Minnesotan, such as myself, would dare do business with a sneaky Canadian business when we have our own home grown single speeder business to speak of, none other than Surly! Lighten up a little... These forums are supposed to be a friendly community.
    "Hesh wants poppers!"

Probably drunk right now

Perspective...

Thanks.
    Since you work in a shop, you should know this. It seems you don't, so I'll try and enlighten you:

- Spot is waiting on their supplier to ship chainring guards. The supplier is obviously behind schedule on their delivery.
    - Michael is expecting them in at any time based on what Spot's supplier is telling him.
    - So the bash guard you're looking for is on back order.
    - You've been calling him every two weeks for an answer that he can't really provide because he's at the mercy of his supplier.

So now some questions:

- Did you put your money down and actually order the guard? That's what you would ask your customers to do. Money talks, after all.
    - How many times did you call and how long has this been going on? 6 months? 4 weeks?

Ken

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Dude,

Sorry to hear of your woes.

I have had nothing by great service from Michael many times over. He treats me "almost" as good as his team riders. We have had a few conversations about cycling and such and Michael is really one of the good guys.

If the chainring guard was that important to you, maybe you should have gone somewhere else to get one. For me, the Spot stuff is way worth the wait. Have you seen the new chainrings yet?

Also, I ordered a jersey from Spot two week ago. I called Michael on Friday night and he sent it out that day. On Monday, it was in my mailbox - - from across the country. What more could you ask for?
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

Cubicle Fugitive

Embrace email.

I would rather talk to people directly. It seems that with the advent of email, people are scared to call and talk to an actual person on the other end. Most businesses don't even answer emails anyway from what I've found.
    When you call someone on the phone, the expectation is for immediate attention. (Is that perchance why you prefer to talk to people directly?) I find that I get better information when I let people get back to me in whatever time it takes to get an informed response (as opposed to the response that will get me off the phone ASAP).

mtbr member

my reply again

Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC
    Since you work in a shop, you should know this. It seems you don't, so I'll try and enlighten you:

I should know what? That Spot is flightly supplier? What are you getting at?

- Spot is waiting on their supplier to ship chainring guards. The supplier is obviously behind schedule on their delivery.

So what. I have parts machined, and anodized for work well within a two week time period all of the time. It's simple. If his supplier is going to jerk him around that much he needs to find a different one.

- Michael is expecting them in at any time based on what Spot's supplier is telling him.

He shouldn't lie to me then by telling me they will be there in a couple of days. I would wouldn't have harsh feelings towards the company if he would have just told me the truth. "I'm having trouble getting them from my supplier. I don't really know when to expect them." is all he would have had to say. I would have bought one somewhere else, but I wouldn't have been strung along for 4 months.

- So the bash guard you're looking for is on back order.

No, it's not on back order, it's just plain not coming.

- You've been calling him every two weeks for an answer that he can't really provide because he's at the mercy of his supplier.

All he had to do was tell me that he was at the mercy of the supplier, not some b.s.

So now some questions:

- Did you put your money down and actually order the guard? That's what you would ask your customers to do. Money talks, after all.

No, I didn't put any money down and I'm glad. He didn't ask me to so why would I? That wouldn't get the ring guards there any sooner would it. If I had put money down on it, I would be forced to wait for it rather than buy a different one. When do you think I would finally get it? Next winter maybe?

- How many times did you call and how long has this been going on? 6 months? 4 weeks?

Go back and read my original post for your answer to this one.

Ken

mtbr member

#12 is the best!

Quote Originally Posted by tamjam
    In total defense of Spot, my experiences have been quite the opposite. For example, Christmas a couple years ago, my Dad ordered a wool jersey for my wife from Spot. It arrived, wrapped in its plastic pouch. I looked at it, and said it wasn't the color we ordered. We got on the phone to Jessica, 2 days before Christmas, and she immediately put another in the overnight mail. It arrived Christmas Eve. No charge. Just ship the wrong one back when you get a chance is all she said. Turned out the wrong one was the right one afterall, just the plastic pouch they pack them in was see-through blue which made the jersey look the wrong color from the outside. Boy did we feel stupid. I told her all this at Sea Otter last month and she remembered it all. We had a good laugh.

As far as I can tell, Spot is all about good customer service, and their products rock. Granted, their website has been in "construction" mode for several years, and they often don't have a jersey I may want in stock.

And I agree with what the Bike Nazi said. You better be careful coming in here as the new guy (12 posts) and start off by bashing a very cool company that has been doing nothing but good in the world of single speed for a long time (and geared road bikes now, as I witnessed at Sea Otter).
    So I'm just starting in the singlespeed thing after many years involved with bikes and the bike industry. What does that have to do with the topics I post? What did you talk about on your 12th post? Stopping to smell the tulips while out riding?

I'm sure they have been good in the single speed world. Other companies have since caught up while Spot rides along on their name.

Probably drunk right now

So hostile....

You're making a great impression here, I must say. You're right. They suck. You went with your first choice of bash guards, yet decided to ***** about Spot none the less. Good on you.

I've had parts back ordered for months because QBP couldn't get the parts from their supplier because the Tier 1, 2 or 3 supplier wasn't coming through for them. I guess I don't understand what your *****ing about so much. You got the bash guard you really wanted in the first place faster than you would have received your second choice.

BTW: Chris King customer service sucks! I want a pink headset, and hubs, but their not currently doing any production runs with pink anodizing. Can you beleive that? What happened to the customer is always right?

Ken

mtbr member

pink anodizing

Ken,

I could set you up with an anodizer that should be able to do pink if you'd like to have your existing headset cups stripped and recoated. Should be able to do it within a week too.

Penis Goat!
    Sounds like this little b!tching thread isn't turning out how you expected it, huh? I agree with some of the others...you blew this way out of proportion. Obviously you didn't need it immediately, or you would have found what was available at the time. So what's the big deal about waiting?

I waited for two months for a wheelset from Jenson. I called a few times for updates, and would usually hear "they should be here in a couple of weeks." When they weren't, I didn't care. I just rode my bike without a disc brake and waited longer. I didn't post a whiney little discussion to bash a company seemingly no one else has problems with.

BTW: Ken was being sarcastic about the CK headset. You had to be there.

Probably drunk right now

No thanks...

Ken,

I could set you up with an anodizer that should be able to do pink if you'd like to have your existing headset cups stripped and recoated. Should be able to do it within a week too.

My current headset and hubs work just fine. I'll wait.

Account Retired
    We have an inner circle? Am I not aware of this because I have been living out here in the outer limits?

I have a bashring on one of my ss's and not on the other. One of them has a chain guard that the previous owner (an amish dude) painted with a roller in a nice dark green latex. All three bikes suck exactly in the same amount.......which isn't very much, cuz bikes are fun.

Keep on Smiling

Probably drunk right now

Dewd....

Quote Originally Posted by LakeRaven
    We have an inner circle? Am I not aware of this because I have been living out here in the outer limits?

I have a bashring on one of my ss's and not on the other. One of them has a chain guard that the previous owner (an amish dude) painted with a roller in a nice dark green latex. All three bikes suck exactly in the same amount.......which isn't very much, cuz bikes are fun.

Keep on Smiling
    Where in the wide, wide world of sports have you been? Have you received any of my emails? Do I have your current address? Hug me.

Ken

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Okay, I'm the last guy in the world who should be responding to this post.
    I am probably the most biased guy in the world towards spot.

this is all I will say. My experience has been from time to time Spot has had a tough time keeping some of the componets they offer in stock. My experience has also been that Jessica and Michael work their asses off, and take huge pride in their company and their service. Spot Brand is a huge supporter of Single Speeding, and Single Speed Events. I also beleive their products are amongst the finest you can buy. Frankly, if you had a beef with Michael, you probably would have gotten more if you had called and issued the complaint with him instead of flaming him on the message board. My experience with the guy, and I consider him a friend, would have been that he would have busted he ass to try and get you what he could. But I can understand that it's much easier to flaming him on the message board. That being said, good luck with the Truvativ. Happy Trails

respect
    fatmarc
    www.fatmarc.com

mtbr member

me?

Quote Originally Posted by fatmarc
    Okay, I'm the last guy in the world who should be responding to this post.
    I am probably the most biased guy in the world towards spot.

this is all I will say. My experience has been from time to time Spot has had a tough time keeping some of the componets they offer in stock. My experience has also been that Jessica and Michael work their asses off, and take huge pride in their company and their service. Spot Brand is a huge supporter of Single Speeding, and Single Speed Events. I also beleive their products are amongst the finest you can buy. Frankly, if you had a beef with Michael, you probably would have gotten more more what?if you had called and issued the complaint with him instead of flaming him on the message board. I"m not flaming him. This was my first experience with Spot. It wasn't a good one and I wanted to see what experiences other people have had. My experience with the guy, and I consider him a friend, would have been that he would have busted he ass to try and get you what he could. But I can understand that it's much easier to flaming him on the message board. That being said, good luck with the Truvativ. Happy Trails

respect
    fatmarc
    www.fatmarc.com
    I would have to say by the responses people have had good luck with Spot. You'd have to in order to support them as much as you are.

Somehow this is getting turned around a bit. I'm not FLAMING anyone, I'm not B*TCHING. All I did was post my experience and ask yours and now you guys are b*itching at me.

Witty McWitterson
    Because you're being kind of an ass there mckeand...that's why they're jumping down your throat.

FWIW, I've also has good luck w/Spot CS.

And Yes Lake, there IS indeed an innercircle. Its all about gnomes and circlejerking.
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I apologize if it seemed I was *****ing, not my intent. I also don't discount that you had a bad experience. I just wanted to suggest that your angst is better directed to teh good folks at Spot, who can try and remedy the situation versus a message board. I wish you the best and hope everything works out for you.

much respect
    fatmarc

viva la spot brand

Probably drunk right now
    I would have to say by the responses people have had good luck with Spot. You'd have to in order to support them as much as you are.

Somehow this is getting turned around a bit. I'm not FLAMING anyone, I'm not B*TCHING. All I did was post my experience and ask yours and now you guys are b*itching at me.
    Because you're acting like a dţckhead. nm

I am the owl
    Quick question: If you originally wanted the Truvativ, why didn't you just buy that one in the first place?
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

pepito
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ~martini~
    there IS indeed an innercircle. Its all about circlejerking.

i wouldn't want to be on the inner part of that innercircle.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling" ~James E. Starrs

Probably drunk right now

Silly riderx....

Quote Originally Posted by riderx
    Quick question: If you originally wanted the Truvativ, why didn't you just buy that one in the first place?
    Because then he couldn't bîtch about it on a singlespeed board. Congrats on your published picture. I think I may have recognized a few of them fellers.

Ken

mtbr member

um...

can't we all just get along?

cause it's fun
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ernesto_from_Wisconsin
    can't we all just get along?
    NO! There is no getting along on the internet. You are either pissed off of looking at porn
    bus driver wanna be

Art is Resistance
    Quote Originally Posted by gofast
    NO! There is no getting along on the internet. You are either pissed off of looking at porn
    Or both! Wait, that doesn't work.. or does it? Angry Porn, the wave of the future.

mtbr member

angry...

Quote Originally Posted by djcrb9
    Or both! Wait, that doesn't work.. or does it? Angry Porn, the wave of the future.
    Is angry por:

A) people with frowns?
    B) hot naked college girls angrily beating a gnome with a broomstick?
    C) revenge sex?

mtbr member

no longer made

Quote Originally Posted by riderx
    Truvativ stopped selling the aluminum guards and switched to polycarb. I'm sure they are strong, I just didn't like the look of them. At that point, the one I wanted became the Spot guard. After all of the time waiting, I stumbled upon a place that had one Truvativ aluminum guard left. Either one will work just the same but I prefer the look of the Truvativ.

mtbr member
    wow, {{{{{{drama}}}}}}}