UItimate wheel build?- Mtbr.com
    That's gonna leave a mark

UItimate wheel build?

So if money is no object, what hubs/rims would you (did you) build up for your SS?

Is your choice influenced by weight, strength, bling-factor, or all of the above?
    Fat fanatic.

"Where the Fox Hat?" Endurance Team
    SoCal Colavita Road/MTB club

Keep on Rockin...

Strength, weight, durability, ease of maintenance...

Quote Originally Posted by Upchuck
    So if money is no object, what hubs/rims would you (did you) build up for your SS?

Is your choice influenced by weight, strength, bling-factor, or all of the above?
    Best set of wheels I've ever had are my King SS non-disc 32h hubs laced to Bonti Valient rims by Dave of Dave's Wheels.

Super durable and very fast and light.

I like the non-dish of V wheels. Maybe I need to ride smoother but I have the hardest time keeping both front and rear wheels in true. I've always had the best luck with non-disc setups.

SS King hubs. Second to none IMO.

32 hole hubs with slightly thicker spokes (36 hole rims with very thin spoke seem to have higher spoke failure rates).

All the spokes are the same gauge and length. Easy to repair.

Valient rims are light and tough. The internal width is wider than most xc rims (albeit by just a bit).

On paper these wheels rock. On dirt they are even better.

If there was a dishles front disc set up I'd consider it.

Couldn't care less about bling.

Mike
    Last edited by Miker J; 07-01-2006 at 06:23 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    The ultimate wheel build would be built to your weight and riding needs.

Ideally a dishless rear wheel would be the ultimate in terms of strength to weight ratio and allow you to use a slightly more butted (lighter spoke) to achieve good strenght....but you still need to approximate spoke diams given the hub and rim strength.

If you have bucks......id start with a 32 hole king or dt ss hub.....sapim cxrays or dt aerolites and a mavic rim. IF You crunch that too quickly-- then choose slightly stronger spokes until you get to a butting or diameter that is holding up.

If you have no dollars.... start with 36hole and some straight guage 2.0s and you probably wont have to worry about a wheelset for years.

If you give your weight and riding terrain/style someone could probably point you in the right direction.

mtbr member

just for fun...

Just for fun, old NOS Spin mags for 700c wheels...cassette removed to allow for a gusset/16 on a Surly crosscheck

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    AlexRims FD16 (32 holes)
    Dt Revolution
    DT Aluminium Nipple
    XT Hub For the Front
    Hope Pro 2 For the Rear

velocipede technician
    phil wood laced 3 cross to a mavic sup of your choice

mudnthebloodnthebeer
    King ISO disc hubs w/spacers for the rear, WTB Laser Discs, DT Comp X3 and brass nips has been bombproof for me (a bit larger than the other kids my age) going on 4 years now. The King hubs do require a fair amount of attention if they're ridden in wet conditions-a thorough de-gunking takes about 15 minutes every 500 sloppy miles or so.

Jed Peters
    I kinda like mine...

King ISO Disc SS
    DT Supercomp Spokes
    Alloy Nipples
    Mavic XM819 UST Rim
    Boone Ti Cog

mtbr member
    Hub - DT Swiss SS with centerloc adapter for 6-hole rotor. Easy to swap rotors or cogs!

Rims - depends on conditions.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My SS wheels are nothing special, but on my geared bike I don't think you can beat the combination of strength, cost, and durability that I have. Hadley hubs laced to DT Swiss 4.1 rims with DT Comp double butted spokes. It's a 1700g wheel that is absolutely bombproof for me who happens to be slightly under the Clydesdale classification. The Hadley hubs have the bling factor and durability of the Kings, with some features I like even better, yet were significantly less $$$ than the Kings. The DT Swiss rims are incredible in their machining precision, you have to search pretty hard to locate a seam. I had mine built up by Larry at Mtn. High Cyclery, who has an excellent reputation over at the wheels/tires forum.

Retro Grouch

Stan's notubes..

The <a href="http://www.notubes.com/ztr_rims.php"> Stan's </a> NoTube rim and DT Swiss Hugi 240; as light as it gets and tubeless.; about $650 out the door.

1G1G, Brad
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by aka brad; 06-29-2006 at 07:40 PM.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    So if money is no object...
    Totally custom designed and built from scratch. A clean-sheet design. I have no idea exactly what it would be because it will never happen as money is always an object in the real world.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Quote Originally Posted by rogueturtle
    If you give your weight and riding terrain/style someone could probably point you in the right direction.
    OK, I weigh 185 lbs with gear, SoCal dry rocky conditions, rigid SS, ride hard on the climbs and descents.

So far, DT has certainly garnered a lot of respect from those of you who responded.
    Fat fanatic.

Mashers Only!!

O.K.
    For my 26er I got King ISO front,King SS Disc rear(both green), Black Sapim C-X Ray spokes 3 cross, Green Alu. nipples, and Black disc only 32 hole DT 4.1 rims.

For my 29er I got King ISO front,King SS Disc rear(both pink), Black Sapim C-X Ray spokes 3 cross, Pink Alu. nipples, and Black disc only 32 hole Salsa Delgado rims.

I go for Strength, Bling, and weight in that order. Both have Boon cogs and Magura Marta SL rotors with ti bolts.. I like building with the Sapim spokes.

HUGH

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Burkeman
    My SS wheels are nothing special, but on my geared bike I don't think you can beat the combination of strength, cost, and durability that I have. Hadley hubs laced to DT Swiss 4.1 rims with DT Comp double butted spokes. It's a 1700g wheel that is absolutely bombproof for me who happens to be slightly under the Clydesdale classification. The Hadley hubs have the bling factor and durability of the Kings, with some features I like even better, yet were significantly less $$$ than the Kings. The DT Swiss rims are incredible in their machining precision, you have to search pretty hard to locate a seam. I had mine built up by Larry at Mtn. High Cyclery, who has an excellent reputation over at the wheels/tires forum.

I had that same wheelset built by Larry and I couldn't be happier. I too am just under the Clydesdale class and have ridden these wheels on some pretty rocky stuff. I am very happy with them. Maybe it is just me, but they actually seem to pick up speed when I am coasting.
    I'm not very smart, but I can lift heavy things

Peace & Love
    Vince, I would just have Hugh build you some wheels....they looked mighty schweet up close

Either what Hugh has or Industry Nines are really nice. Great engagement with excellent customer service. Long term reliability TBD of course as they are a new company but so far so good for many folks.

Mashers Only!!
    I was thinking about going Industry Nine wheels. But I'm sitting here looking at five sets of King built wheels. I have all the spare parts and seals for them. I also have the killer tool to service them. They have been bomb proof as well. I'm just too deep into Kings.
    The I9s would be my second choice. We will see in a year or so how things hold up on them. Oh and they have purple!!!! Damit I want purple!

HUGH

Jackbooted Elitist Hipstr

Industry Nine 13 months on...

I've been hammering my I-9 29er wheels for over a year in the rooty, rocky Pisgah NF with no problems. I've trued them twice, had no broken spokes, love the engagement and enjoy the stiffness (who doesn't enjoy the stiffness?). Good stuff. Good guys.
    Dirtbag since '89

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by Singletrack Pig
    I've been hammering my I-9 29er wheels for over a year in the rooty, rocky Pisgah NF with no problems. I've trued them twice, had no broken spokes, love the engagement and enjoy the stiffness (who doesn't enjoy the stiffness?). Good stuff. Good guys.
    good to hear....you are one of the longer-ish timers with I9s...

I would LOVE to get a set for my newest bike......must.....resist.....

it will be interesting....Upchuck is a weak man I think I will bring my I9-wheeled bike tomorrow to let him check it out. I cant imagine a better wheelset. My only complaint is how TOUGH it is to get a cog on or off the freehub.....real bummer if you are a regular cog changer but fortunately i am not so no big deal.

otherwise, King has to be the best SS way to go. Too bad Tune does not make a SS hub (or do they?).

cheers

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I am running Bontrager Valiants on WI hubs built by Dave.
    I can't recommend Dave enough. He will build you the lightest, best handling, most durable wheelset that you can get at any price point. Unless you really know your sh!t and are building them yourself. Definitely save $$ that way.

If I could afford them, I probably would have gotten King or DT hubs... with Valiants (b/c Dave says they're good)... built by Dave.

Dave's Speed Dream Wheels

mtbr member
    Industry9 wheels are the best bicycle parts ever made. I'm not kidding.

edit / update:
    I ride one of the first pair of prototype wheels from I9, and have NEVER trued the rear wheel since building it (and its on a crappy 400gram Sun DS-1). The front is a little warbled from a gnarly nose dive after hopping a 36" log, but that happened over a year ago and the problem has not progressed dispite my inattention to it. These wheels have been beaten on for thousands of miles, mostly 4+ hr rides in gritty rocky rooty Pisgah, and obviously on a full rigid bike. The speed of engagement is seriously like riding a fixed gear that you can coast. The stiffness is amazing for precise cornering. And coasting downhill, I loose everyone.
    The quality of the product's manufacture is seriously unparralleled by ANYTHING I have ever seen in the bicycle industry since the handmade days, 110 years ago. All this offered at the very same price point as Mavic X-Max SL's (which are COMPLETE pieces of **** in direct comparison), the I9 wheels are also the best value for the quality.
    Last edited by Sideways; 07-01-2006 at 08:19 AM.
    -Marshall Hance
    EndlessBikeCo.

Duckin' Fonuts.
    Dec 2005
    My stupid hill-billy ass likes Surly hubs laced to Salsa rims, with Dt champion spokes laced up by me with brass nips and a grease injected ACS or White Freewheel slapped on. Cheap as heck, dang durable, look good enough for me, and I ain't skeered to beat the tar out of 'em cause I can always afford to repair 'em. Not ultimate, no way, but then I am not the Ultimate Warrior.

Got Mojo?
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J
    Best set of wheels I've ever had are my King SS non-disc 32h hubs laced to Bonti Valient rims
    Works for me.

King Single Speed hubset (non disk)
    Bontrager Valiant (fronts only)
    DT Swiss Competition spokes
    2X front and rear

Built by the best wheelsmith in San Antonio, after he played 20 questions with me. These wheels were built specifically for me, my bike, and my riding style.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

One gear to rule them all

I built my ultimate wheels set

here's a pic pre-build. After almost two years of riding on them, I wouldn't change a thing.
    Todd............. If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague

Quote Originally Posted by ccwenk
    I am running Bontrager Valiants on WI hubs built by Dave.
    I can't recommend Dave enough. He will build you the lightest, best handling, most durable wheelset that you can get at any price point. Unless you really know your sh!t and are building them yourself. Definitely save $$ that way.

If I could afford them, I probably would have gotten King or DT hubs... with Valiants (b/c Dave says they're good)... built by Dave.

Dave's Speed Dream Wheels
    Yeah, I will admit Dave builds a mean set of wheels. I am still riding a set of King/Valiant Ceramic wheels he built up for me almost 7years ago. I've never had them go out of true. Racing on them still today. Best rim brake wheels I've ever had. Beat my Crossmax's for weight and durability.
    Fat fanatic.

my knees hurt
    Daves Wheels...I'm running 29ers though, King SS Disk hubs with Bontrager Mustang Rims, the spokes are ovalized (not sure whos though).....1000+ miles of rigid ss abuse with out a problem.
    This is the second set of wheels I've received from Dave...excellent wheel builder and all around nice guy....
    BELIEVE
    Imagine what you could achieve if you knew you would not fail.

Category Winner
    I9's.
    Pulled the trigger a little while ago. I don't think it's easy to look them in the spokes and turn away. My Hadley's are nice, but my I9's can be field serviced.
    I could post a bunch about 'em when I get 'em, but I am sure I will just repeat what others have said. I knew about the sets that have been around for awhile and I've seen them first hand. I don't think reliability will be a problem. I've followed ST PIG's fatass on some nasty descents and if he hasn't trashed them I should be fine. The fact that they are made right here in NC is worth half the price of the wheels.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Dave's wheels kick a$$. I'm riding a set right now. First pair, with more to come. King ISO disc and King SS spacer set. 14/15 Wheelsmith spokes - 3 cross. Bontrager Mustang and alloy nipples. I went with the traditional freehub body so I can put these puppies on my other rides (ok, so money is an object for me). No matter where you buy the wheels or who builds them, make sure of at least these two things; the spoke tension needs to be even all around and HIGH. Don't get sucked into low tension - there's a local wrench who was pushing that and F*d up some sets (including my wife's - hey, it was before we met!) Also, I wouldn't use straight gauge spokes - they don't flex enough and will put excess stress on the spoke head. Read Shcraener's book on wheelbuilding - it'll make sense. Think of the spoke as your first line of shock absorption.

mtbr member
    May 2005

Best Wheel set for SS

Phil Wood SLR Hubs (32H), Mavic 717 or 819, Phil Wood Stainless steel spokes. Bullet proof and light.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nonracerrichie
    My stupid hill-billy ass likes Surly hubs laced to Salsa rims, with Dt champion spokes laced up by me with brass nips and a grease injected ACS or White Freewheel slapped on. Cheap as heck, dang durable, look good enough for me, and I ain't skeered to beat the tar out of 'em cause I can always afford to repair 'em. Not ultimate, no way, but then I am not the Ultimate Warrior.
    I was just about to say the same thing. I guess Surlys don't fall into the 'money no object' category, but they sure are tough to break for cheap. I have a Hope front and Surly rear laced w/ DT Scomps to Velocity VXCs. Cost was an issue, but it always is.

My new plan is to win the Niner photo contest.

Alles komt goed!
    I would make my one hub, like the front hubs of my recumbent bike. Only have to ad some thread to this hub for a freewheel or go fixed certainly it is not good for the weight. I would combine this hub with and no name 2.5mm Stainless steel spokes. My choice is based on having something strong and other than the rest of the gearie people.
    Last edited by gijsberg; 07-07-2006 at 01:40 AM.
    ---------------------------
    Gijs, from the mountain

Members who have read this thread: 0