Uh oh! This is gonna be trouble.- Mtbr.com
    trail rat

Hope Uh oh! This is gonna be trouble.

Nothing special, I know, but this is what followed me home from my LBS in my search for a town, commuter, errand runner, lock it up at the store machine. Pancho at CBO is to blame for putting the idea in my head, "tricking" me into take it for a test ride, and making me such a deal on the bike (2005), plus a deal on the Mallet's to match my Uzzi pedals.

Now I am searching the SS forum for info, and already planning my next SS. Rode it yesterday afternoon (day off), came home at dark, had a snack, got my lights, and went back out for 3 hours. Spent 3 hours on it this evening after work!

I think I'm infected. Is there a cure? Am I gonna be another SS fanatic? How many bikes is too many? Is there an SS anonymous. Is all hope lost? Will the ache in these old legs ever end?
    Last edited by slocaus; 06-06-2006 at 10:55 PM.
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

smc
    mtbr member
    I saw somewhere a mathematical solution to your question,

number of bikes required = n + 1 (where "n" is the number of bikes you currently have)

sushi lover
    May 2006
    you have only just begun... =)

Space for rent...

Be careul....

...you may also get infected by "upgrade-itis"
    It's only pain......

mtbr member

Dude your hooked...

...Congrats!! And, Too many bikes?? Nah, never.
    Black Sheep...where it'ss at!!
    "I'm not known for my patience. Patience is a polite quality and often appropriate, but it rarely gets things done. Impatience, however, is the hunger for results and intolerance for excuses and delays." LA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slocaus
    I think I'm infected. Is there a cure? Am I gonna be another SS fanatic? How many bikes is too many? Is there an SS anonymous. Is all hope lost? Will the ache in these old legs ever end?
    The only cure is to loan it to a friend. It will be gone so long you might make it through withdrawal. Since you are a possible addict never ever try riding a 29er.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Don't worry about all your old geared bikes. They can essentially be put in storage now. Therefore they do not count. You are good for at least 3 more SS's. Cross bike, trail bike with squish up front, and a cruiser.

trail rat
    Thanks for confirming my deepest suspicions that I'm gone over the edge forever.

@SSteve F = I have had upgrade-itis big time, but this has to remain low cost to not attract attention while locked in a bike rack for an hour or two. Already put some Spider Lite tires on and will replace brake with some BB5 disks I have in the next couple days.

@pacman = As for a 29er, there is definitely one in my future. Prolly less than 6 months. I happen to have quite a few parts that I upgraded and had planned to build a light XC bike; eBay here we come to sell and find SS 29er fittings.

@gtdrew = Where I live here in central CA, it is very steep up and down. I'll see how the two speed SS (pedal & push) works on the gawd awful climbs here, but I doubt my Uzzi-SLX will gather dust sitting idle. That is still the ultimate bike for me since my MTB "career" began in 1979.

Oh and I forgot one other "speed" - stand & wheeze is needed if the "pedal" gear is used to aggressively, or "let's see if we can make it up that hill" overcomes common sense.

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    Where I live here in central CA, it is very steep up and down. I'll see how the two speed SS (pedal & push) works on the gawd awful climbs here, but I doubt my Uzzi-SLX will gather dust sitting idle. That is still the ultimate bike for me since my MTB "career" began in 1979.
    Sounds like youíre in denial to me!! Just you wait. Iíll give you another week!

Cheers, Dave.

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by Low_Rider
    Sounds like youíre in denial to me!! Just you wait. Iíll give you another week! .
    Less than that. Got it out in the hills before work this morning and was reminded of why we go there. Found I need a little less gear The guys will substitue a 20T for the 17T I have on the rear tomorrow morning (no FW tools in stock to sell me) and we'll see how that does.

Why we go there and the silly devices we choose to transport us.

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    Nice!! And another one bites the dust.

Happy trails, Dave.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Welcome to SS AA, your higher power being the Zen of riding, and no, there is end to how many bikes you own, I finished my first, and the same night, was planning my Track bike build, its a virus, there is no cure

banned
    All I have to say?

Don't buy another one if indeed a 29er is in your future. You will sell all your 26" wheeled bikes after your first fully rigid SS29er singletrack ride.

Some people will shake their heads. Others simply know.

trail rat

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! I......... am an addict

I....... am a junkie.
    I....... have no willpower.
    I bought my first MTB in 1979 and it was rigid of course,they all were back then.
    I rode for years in various MTB rigid bikes.
    I missed the years 1995 to 2005 due to a career choice that dead ended (hindsight).
    I caught the mtb bike reincarnation bug and upgrade-itis and went from a cheap Haro to a $5000 Intense Uzzi-SLX 6" full squish wonder over about 18 months.

I bought the Kona Unit SS mentioned in this thread just 2 weeks tomorrow.
    I am amazed at how much fun I have been having, and how much strength I have gained in two weeks on that silly, simple machine.

I found an incredible deal on an On-One Inbred 29er tonight and bought it.

I am a junkie.
    I am an addict.
    I now have two SS bikes!
    I have no willpower.

I need someone to tell me what an spineless, silly fool I am.

I know I will get no sympathy or support here. You folks will encourage me, fer chrissakes....

I should have the Inbred on Tuesday, and will be building it after work via the porch light.
    I cannot wait.

Told ya it was gonna be trouble.......

mtbr member
    I have imposed a strict rule of not being able to own more than three bikes at once....

I currently have a bid on ebay for number six...

trail rat

Ha!

Tough rule! Damn, how do you live by that? Oh, you don't....

I'm half way there, by your rules.
    That messes up smc's mathematical formula as well...... n+1 becomes n x 2!

trail rat

Told ta it was gonna be trouble

BWOG! Two days old, about 45miles on it. My thighs are screaming and I cannot wipe the grin off my face!

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Hey slocaus, did you get your 29er from CBO? I'm up in Paso Robles. I want a 29" SS!

trail rat
    The Unit came from CBO here, but the Inbred 29er came from Pricepoint:
    http://www.pricepoint.com/email_special_june6_2.htm

That link will get it for $899 + change. Even with CA sales tax and UPS oversize delivery, it was right at a $grand. Cheapest fun / $ ratio I've found in some time!

It got the approval from the boys at CBO and it has a "Shut Up and Ride" sticker on it.

trail rat

Uno mas!

I been bit by an SS bug and I cannot SStop. ItSS a diSSeaSSe, ya think

Bianchi San Jose, 61cm cyclocross SS (58 would have been better, but out of stock - a friend got a 52cm one like this as well). I change the saddle and bar tape, Avid Flak jacket brake cables (left over from other bike builds), added a Polar HRM mount plus cadence, WTB 700x37c Slickasaurus in place of 35c All Terrainasaurus for the summer. Makes me feel like the kid in the early Mazda commercials. It's been 17 or 18 years since I've had a drop bar bike with anything less than 2.1 tires. Zoom Zoom!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    you have gone insane. nice fleet you've got there! makes me want to zip down to the LBS and pick up the '04 unit they've got in the window for $500 or so...in my size.

but alas, 7 bikes (with an 8th already in the works) it just too many. granted, only two are MTBs, so i guess maybe i could swing a 9th...

Reviewer/Tester

Good job!

Ahhhhhhh....it does my heart good to see this thread..

Welcome to the wonderful world of SS'ing.

R.
    It is inevitable ...

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by Tin Sloth
    you have gone insane. nice fleet you've got there! makes me want to zip down to the LBS and pick up the '04 unit they've got in the window for $500 or so...in my size.

but alas, 7 bikes (with an 8th already in the works) it just too many. granted, only two are MTBs, so i guess maybe i could swing a 9th...
    Insane? Nay, never felt more based in reality; must be the going back to rigid.

Do it! If you ever ride the Unit, you will kick yourself for not getting this deal. That is about 2 bills less than I paid for this 05. Besides, there is a thread in the Surly forum about a guy that has 30+ Surlys and over 50 bikes total. I thought I was a bike junkie, but I cannot hold a candle to this man.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman
    Ahhhhhhh....it does my heart good to see this thread..

Welcome to the wonderful world of SS'ing.
    Yes, but three SSes in about 6 weeks? After only having a Full Squish XC/FR teensy wheel 38lb monster for so long? This SS bug got beeg fangs - bite deep hehehe

I took the Inbred to the top of the ridgeline shown in the second picture of it on Sunday, about 2000 feet climbing over 10 miles, in 90+ degree Farenheit heat (lots of shade to duck into on the climb). Came back into town 4 hours later and stopped at the local Mexican joint for a burrito. As I walked in, the crowd parted like I was the Terminator all covered in dust and sweat with that silly a$$ grin that only an SS can plaster on your face.

trail rat

It morphed!

Here is my new / old Surly Cross Check Bianchi SJ! When I bought the San Jose, I wanted a 58cm, but they were out of stock at the end of the model year. I knew that the build kit alone was worth the price of the bike, so I went ahead and ordered the 61cm seen above, knowing I could get a CxC frame and move the build kit over.

After riding it for 3 weeks, I knew the TT was just too long, so I went to my LBS and we figured out that a 56cm Cross Check was the correct size for my 6'3" frame with long arms and legs, short torso.

Here it is with all the parts from the San Jose (seat post size was the same). I retaped the bars and redid the brake cables. I need a longer rear axle so I can use the Surly Tuggnut, since the Surly semi horizontal dropouts are thicker than the Bianchi track dropouts. Hubs, seatpost, bars, and stem say Bianchi.

It's sweet, got a 30 mile shakedown cruise today in the sucky yucky high humdidly here in central CA. This is gonna be a fun year round conditioning bike.

Members who have read this thread: 0