Two mountain bikers at odds with each other- Mtbr.com
    Downcountry AF

Two mountain bikers at odds with each other

Entertaining articles. One that hates suspension and one that hates rigid.

https://www.outsideonline.com/225153...uspension-evil

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/riding...s-opinion.html

I must say I personally enjoy a rigid bike. I like the additional challenge and the skills I've built because of it. I also appreciate the additional efficiency on a SS.

I've also owned a rigid Krampus, with gears. The big tires really took the edge off, and adding a dropper makes for a very capable trail bike.

Rigid may not be the fastest in chunk, or the best for endurance riding, but it does make things fun, just in a different way than a full suspension bike is fun.

How do you have your SS set up? With or without a sus fork?
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    I'm rigid all round.

I ride my bike for the scenery not through it.

I have nothing against suspension, but as long as I'm capable the 10" of suspension available in my legs will do.

The other point is that a decent front fork, ie one good enough for me to consider it, ie tunable in both directions, light and no brake dive does not exist, and if it did, it would cost the price of a really good rigid singlespeed. Bouncy fork or a N+1 bike? hmmm.

Some folk like to go fast, but my opinion is that what we seek in "fast" is the sensation rather than the ultimate velocity (otherwise get a motorbike or jump in a jet). The sensation comes much sooner on a rigid bike so why bother with more expense, and you get to enjoy applying a higher level of skill in doing so.
    Last edited by Velobike; 10-20-2017 at 02:22 PM.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57ļ36' Highlands, Scotland

WillWorkForTrail
    My SS used to be rigid. Then my elbows turned 40 and started to hurt all the time. Putting squish on the front of the SS was a life saver, but you better believe it locks out for the climbs.

I'm not saying my FS geared bike isn't fun. But it's a different kind of fun. I've got plenty of room in my life for different kinds of fun though.

mtbr member
    Pivot Les carbon SS with Sid 100 fork with lockout remote.

Best of both worlds have the suspension when needed and lock out for the unseated climbs

Yeet so hard
    I like a rigid SS.

I put gears on my rigid SS and I didn't like it.

My fatbike has gears and is rigid, but that's OK.

My full suspension bike has suspension. I like this one too.

(PS: 1psd, build me a new front wheel so we can go SSing. k thx.)
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF
    Smash

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    My first SS was rigid and I enjoyed it, right up until I didn't. Putting the susp. fork on made all the difference to me and I can't see going back, with all the roots and rocks I ride. I just built a URT full squish SS and I'm still learning it, but I like it. All in all, my hardtail still has the best suspension ever invented, my two legs.
    "And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called, The Human Race..."

mtbr member
    The Outside Online article was written by Bike Snob (Eben Weiss) to enrage the elitist FS guys.

Check out some of the comments!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Bike Snob rules!

I never could get along with rigid forks because I like to bomb down hills at maximum warp speed. I also never had any problems climbing with suspension forks and I never use the lockout. Everyone's different, I guess.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Glad you posted, I thought the Outside piece was entertaining. I ride rigid SS and love it -- it can beat your arms up however. I live in a place with lots of fire road riding and I'm always surprised how everyone has full suspension bikes. The fastest riders I see are on CX bikes.

Rent this space for $
    I embrace both. Singlespeed rigid steel frame (Karate Monkey) and new SJ Carbon Expert with Lyrik RCT3 160/Monarch + Debonair. Whoever said you can't bomb DH on a rigid was grossly mistaken. I love how I can ride each bike better because of the traits of it's opposite. Admittedly, I garner much more technique from the rigid bike to apply to the squishy bike but I love each equally. Having both, I see no reason it has to be one or the other.

mtbr member
    I really enjoy riding rigid. What sucks is that it does slow me down. I can ride much faster with even a 100mm fork. When I am riding solo, which is most of the time, it's no problem. Trying to keep up with riders who are already more skilled than me (which is most of them) makes it that much harder.

Also, I LOVE BSNYC's writing. "cycling works best when you're exploring the contours of the terrain, not trying to isolate yourself from it, and riding a bike with too many moving parts can be like caressing your lover with oven mitts."

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    rigid and SS for me always. A couple of races I wished I had front suspension but never gears. I am 49 and still enjoying it as it forces me to pick my lines and stay involved on the ride. Plus upper body and core gets involved for a better all around workout IMO

mtbr member
    I saw that on FB and found it entertaining that a few people commenting totally missed the point of what BSNYC was saying. And then they got combative about it. I just don't understand people sometimes...

As for me, I ride it all. FS, HT, and rigid. I constantly switch back and forth between rigid and HT on two of my bikes because they I like them both so much. But if I had to choose only one it'd be rigid.

mtbr member
    BSnyc makes a good point about the value of rigid bikes. It has to be said because some people are vehemently opposed to the idea. I read somewhere recently that a bike that has less than 140mm of suspension travel front AND rear is "not a mountain bike."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    BSnyc makes a good point about the value of rigid bikes. It has to be said because some people are vehemently opposed to the idea. I read somewhere recently that a bike that has less than 140mm of suspension travel front AND rear is "not a mountain bike."
    Wow...that definition means I've never thrown a leg over a mountain bike, ever. I suppose next you'll tell me that Santa Claus isn't real...

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    It looks like both articles are worded strongly enough to be a little click-bait-y.

It depends on the individual - if it's fun, who cares?
    His: 2017 Commencal Meta AM V4.2 Ride. With Zee brakes
    Hers: 2018 Commencal Meta TR V4.2. Zee, too!

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    I enjoy rigid, it just beats me up too much.

Co Springs
    That links to a few articles by him and I'll probably get to reading them. Sounds entertaining.
    As to the mention of click bait, I'm guessing a bike snob is one who may 'get into character' as they write.

I'm reading a book now that's a bit farcical. Some reviewers are sounding harsh claiming the author is a curmudgeon, has a demeaning or negative view of everything but that's part of it's comedy and plays along the theme (I think) although I'm not done reading it entirely.
    bachman must spread some Reputation around before giving it to himself again.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Fun reads...

I have fun on all of my bikes, but the rigid SS is easily the one I ride the most.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It's all kind of goofy. I love my rigid single speed so old the metal might not be recycled, love the geared bike made from recycled beer cans, and I love my plastic bike with all sorts of moving parts and latest technology.

Rigid single speed as religion might have worked 20 years ago but not for a near 60 year old who's developed more skills and interests with time.

What about just loving bikes and riding? I chuckle when niche nuts I know think I'm not really a single speeder, not really a fat biker, not really a free rider or jumper or whatever.... They're right. You can just be in love with bikes and pedaling.

Gee how should I mess with the tribes people today? I'll start as a tourer or commuter and bike to the farmer's market. Let's hope I make the annual jump jam on time after lunch. Maybe I'll have time to start tomorrow's trail work day early - darn, it might be too warm by then to wear a plaid shirt.

Age and time shows the tribal behavior to be funny in more ways. I think of the zealots I've met who just stopped being active altogether while my core old fart posse still bikes, skis, fishes, sails, does stuff....
    ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bachman1961 View Post
    As to the mention of click bait, I'm guessing a bike snob is one who may 'get into character' as they write.
    yes, that is BSNYC in a nutshell. I have read a few of his books and his blog over the years. very silly indeed. it's hard to tell when he's joking, but there's a thick layer of satire over everything he writes. he's never really joking but only ever half-serious.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Maybe not SS at the moment but rigid for sure. I went to a demo days for a particular brand and rode their full suspension bike on single track trails and all that damn thing did was creak and groan like a bed with a couple newlyweds on it. Less parts = less hassle to me.

Always in the wrong gear
    I go both ways.
    Two mountain bikers at odds with each other-a48b3368-6996-4e47-ba5a-9b4e2f86a4e7.jpg
    Two mountain bikers at odds with each other-54281773-6ad6-4a72-872d-cc340ad9eb9f.jpg

Iím a big fan of rigid for the light, responsive front wheel, but on longer days (40+ miles) 100mm of travel helps with fatigue a lot.
    Generally I lean towards a rigid carbon fork, carbon bars, cushy grips and a 3.0 tire at 10.5psi for my comfort.
    Donít modify the trail to match your skills, modify your skills to match the trails.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I prefer rigid too. But just turning 54, the neck and shoulders are not working very well. Hoped my ROS 9+ was going to save the day, but I picked up a manitou magnum pro for it. I've got an "indexed" rotating shoulder, but I'm hoping to get it worked loose and strong again and maybe be on the rigid again by mid summer. Maybe not, but as long as I can ride, I'll make do!

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by ARandomBiker View Post
    I go both ways.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A48B3368-6996-4E47-BA5A-9B4E2F86A4E7.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	314.2 KB 
ID:	1172361
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	54281773-6AD6-4A72-872D-CC340AD9EB9F.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	163.7 KB 
ID:	1172360
    Nice Jabber!

I greatly prefer a rigid fork and have spent the majority of the last 8-9 years on one. However with a repaired/rebuilt shoulder I've decided to move away from rigid. I need to take care of this shoulder if I want to continue riding later in life. Already stand high chances of arthritis setting in anyway.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

Always in the wrong gear
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    Nice Jabber!
    Close. Its my Verhauen I had custom powder coated gloss black with stealth black Vassago graphics.

I had a green Jabber, but I broke it, and Tom offered me this as a replacement (not free, but damn cheap)
    Donít modify the trail to match your skills, modify your skills to match the trails.

mtbr member
    I finally read the Pinkbike article (after reading Bike Snob's some time ago). I've owned several suspension bikes, some were good, some were bad, but I always end up back on my rigid bike. I can go fast enough to keep at the front of my riding buddies, and as a 45 year old sole income for my family, I don't need to go too fast.

Cost, service, purity... it's all wins for the rigid for me. I'm firmly with BSNYC on this one. I see why I only use PB for the classifieds...
    http://www.bikingtoplay.blogspot.com/
    RIGID, not "ridged" or "ridgid"
    PEDAL, not "peddle." Unless you're selling stuff

mtbr member
    Turning 58 tomorrow and have ridden single and rigid for probably the last 10 years. Currently on a Blacksheep with a Ti fork.

I've been riding a carbon Les 27.5+ with gears and a 120mm Fox for a couple months and have to say, I prefer my rigid single speed. Yes, the rocks i ride slow me down on descents, but I agree with others that it's about being in and seeing the outdoors, not blasting through it at warp speed.

Ordered another Blacksheep last week that will be a do it all, rigid, SS, geared, front suspension and take up to a 3.0 on 50mm rims.

The Les was an experiment that will go away
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

mtbr member
    For me a rigid SS puts the biggest smile on my face. All I can add is a 90's rigid 26x2.0 with tubes and poor tread is a totally different animal than a modern rigid MTB.
    18" rigid Unit

mtbr member
    I read both of those articles previously for some entertainment. They are both clearly clickbait and meant to rile people up, but I find that kind of stuff entertaining for some reason, especially all the comments!

I'm 46 now and have settled on Plus tires, rigid and 1x11. I switch over to singleseed every once in a while for fun, but have not owned any suspension in many years, and I'm perfectly happy without it. Could I go faster with a sweet FS rig? Absolutely! Can I go plenty fast without suspension? Absolutely. I actually demoed an Intense something or other this past summer when they had demos at my local park. I thought it sucked going uphill and through slow techy stuff, and on the downhills I could go faster than I should!