Charlie Brown on a bike
    Aug 2005

Tugnut question?

Are tugnuts more of a safety item or are they really needed on a frame with horizontal dropouts? My bikes only going to see XC, no jumping or nothing, I'm too old. Thanks

meh... whatever
    tugs keep the wheel from walking in the drop under torque load. you only need one on the drive side.
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

mtbr member
    You can often get away without a tugnut if you have bolt-on hubs that have a good grippy interface on the drop out. I have a Hope bolt on that really hasn't slipped except once where I didn't torque on the bolt enough.

If you want to use quick release, probably a good idea to use a tugnut (although I have seen people get away without one).

Exclusively Single
    It may not be completely necessary but it will ensure that your wheel doesn't creep forward causing you to lose chain tension, drop your chain, then crotch-surf your top tube straight into a face plant while in the middle of a standing climb.

I sure wouldn't feel completely comfortable without one...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I use tensioners on my track end equipped bikes just because I don't want to scratch the paint.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 0119
    Are tugnuts more of a safety item or are they really needed on a frame with horizontal dropouts? My bikes only going to see XC, no jumping or nothing, I'm too old. Thanks
    I was told no by a shop employee when I went to buy a set for my track end dropouts.
    I quickly found out that off road, the wheel will slip no matter how tight you make the track nuts.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    I used a simple QR only on my aluminum SS frame and it worked great. Not so much on a steel frame.

JMH

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I have never used tugnuts - maybe some people are not using a proper steel QR (Shimano are always the most recommended) or tightening it or track nuts if fitted enough. I have never used tug nuts, always use a QR and even ride fixed off road sometimes - zero slippage.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsalty
    I quickly found out that off road, the wheel will slip no matter how tight you make the track nuts.
    Then you've never had a set of the CK FunBolts.

mtbr member

two scenarios

I have two SS bikes, one aluminum, one steel. two wheels, one surly and one phil wood. i exchange them frequently.

regardless of the frame, the phil wood rear wheel does not need a tugnut and the surly does (drive side only).

i think it's more about the quality and design of the wheel components that contact the dropouts.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    WAIT A SECOND! You must have a tugnut how else would you open your beers.

Combat Wombat

I use them.

Quote Originally Posted by 0119
    As you have probably already figured out from the other posts, it is kind of a hit or miss depending on your frame. You would think it would be a cut and dry issue, but this question pops up on a regular basis and its always the same replies, some claim they have to use them, some say its not necessary. I have seen riders with way more time on a SS than I have ever ridden argue both sides, so you really can not discount either setup. Personally, I use Redlines on both sides. Do I need them? I honestly never tried to ride without them, but they are dirt cheap insurance against the wheel ever moving and they also make wheel removal and replacement a little quicker. And like someone else stated, they do keep the axle bolts from chewing up the frame.

Brian

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Biking Brazilian
    Then you've never had a set of the CK FunBolts.
    for the price of CK, it had better not slip...................

I will take a $20 tuggnut or a $10 BMX tug, and spend the extra $250 on something else.

mtbr member
    for the price of CK, it had better not slip...................

I will take a $20 tuggnut or a $10 BMX tug, and spend the extra $250 on something else.
    Wow, you make it sound as if I paid $250 just so I can get a set of FunBolts.

I paid $250 for a Chris King hub. If they're not worth it, then Tinker Juarez should ride a Huffy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Wow, you make it sound as if I paid $250 just so I can get a set of FunBolts.

I paid $250 for a Chris King hub. If they're not worth it, then Tinker Juarez should ride a Huffy.
    as they only work with the CK hub, you basically did.

mtbr member
    as they only work with the CK hub, you basically did.
    Hmm, I'm not following your logic (if any exists). I'll end this now before it turns into a Pete-like flame war.

Thanks for your time.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Hmm, I'm not following your logic (if any exists). I'll end this now before it turns into a Pete-like flame war.

Thanks for your time.
    ditto.

BTW, ER is a pu**y

Members who have read this thread: 0