Tuggnut vs. Singleator- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2017

Tuggnut vs. Singleator

Hey all,

I tried searching for an answer to this but had trouble finding any comparisons. I know the obvious applications of both: the Singleator being made for vertical dropouts and the tuggnut for horizontal, but am trying to see if there are any glaring advantages to either. I just built a 2017 Karate Monkey, which has horizontal dropouts, but when I decided to run SS while my 1x11 was shipping, my LBS only had the Singleator in stock. I decided to roll with it and bought the Singleator, and have been running it for a week or two now. The problem is, I think I might be in love with SS now. Like, really in love. I may send my 1x11 XT drivetrain right back. My question, however, is: should I pay the $30 to run it "proper" with the Tuggnut, or should I just roll with the Singleator until I grow weary of it. Am I missing out on anything crazy good? Can I run SS races with it? Sorry if this is a run on and the questions are silly, I hope you understand my naivete and newfound love for SS. Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    By using the Singleator you are able to push the axle all the way forward in the dropouts. That effectively does the same thing as a Tuggnut which prevents the axle from slipping forward from it's position further back. A Tuggnut will look a lot cleaner and your drivetrain might be a little smoother since your chain won't have to wrap around those two pulley wheels.

But my main concern is that your Karate Monkey will look completely stupid to any other single speeders out there if you don't take that Singleator off immediately. If I saw it I would cringe and wonder what the heck is wrong with you. I'd probably give you a wide berth out on the trail...

Just Joshin' ya!
    I miss my old KM! I totally get it. I did a SS conversion once with another frame I think the singleator added just a bit noise and drag, but it might have been in my mind! Getting rid of it does not necessitate the tuggnut (though I used one on my KM), you could just tighten the heck out of the axle and it might not move. Also, there are other tensioners out there for cheaper. You can usually find a pair for BMX bikes, one for each side, for like 10 bucks. They work just as well. I also had to use a half link in my chain to get to the axle to sit right in the middle of the dropout.

I like running my single speeds proper. It feels *a tad* smoother and more quiet. It also looks nicer, if you are into that.
    Getting a dropper post is like getting a bidet. I didn't know I needed one until I get one and boy, does my ass thank me.

mtbr member
    Singleator is not aesthetically pleasing, IMO, plus does add weight and some noise. On the plus side, it gives a bit more wrap on the cog and lets you run an oval without getting chain slack, which is why I'm running one on my bike that has a thru-axle even after going through a bunch of hassle to set it up with an ISCG mounted Stinger as a tensioner. Not giving up my oval...

Tuggnut vs. Singleator-2017-03-30_05.45.26.jpg
    Don't know if you can see it, but there's a small loop of ziptie around the arm of the Singleator, with another ziptie running through the loop and around the chainstay. Doubly cheesy, but it limits the Singleator's travel(could use a stronger spring, IMO) so that no matter how hard a hit the rear takes, there is no such thing as chainslap. Tighten a little too far, and it causes drag, though. I'm tempted to get a Rohloff in spite of needing a longer chain that goes through two pulleys just because that ziptie bugs me, but it works perfectly.

mtbr member
    Neither the Singulator or the Tugnut is necessary if you have proper bolt on wheels.

Singlespeed and fixed wheel riders got on very well without those accessories for over 100 years.

Of course you can use what you want, it's your bike, and don't worry about anyone else's opinion, ie take Thor29's comment with a grain of salt - there's no tongue in cheek smiley.

I have used Singulators and its ilk on numerous conversions, but generally only for as long as it took to get suitable ratios for a Magic Ratio setup. They do the job well, but as far as I'm concerned they have all the disadvantages of derailleurs and none of the advantages.

I regard a tugnut as a positioning device to allow the wheel to be centralised. I never tighten them up much more than finger tight because it's up to the the wheel bolts or QR to clamp the wheel. I have done 24 hour races with a tugnut and a QR setup so I know this works. (BTW the best QRs tend to be bog standard Shimano - no point in paying fancy money).

I'm surprised that any spring tensioner is needed because of an oval ring. They weren't necessary in the past when ovals were popular. Oval rings should be symmetrically oval so the same amount of teeth are engaged regardless of the degree of revolution.

The golden rule - keep it simple.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

Downcountry AF
    Use the tugnut! There's no reason to run a tensioner on a SS frame. It's redundant and adds complexity to simple system, and a little weight too, and a little drag, and a little noise.

OwenM, why the need for a tensioner? oval chainring alone is no reason to add a tensioner unless you were having issues for some reason? I have no tensioner on mine with no issues. The variance in chain tension is minimal and never given me problems.

Is your chainring direct mount or 104?
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    OwenM, why the need for a tensioner? oval chainring alone is no reason to add a tensioner unless you were having issues for some reason?
    Combination of cog size and chainstay length in my case. The short version is that my chain has enough slack without the tensioner to drag the chainstay, but just shy of enough to remove two more links(could if my cog were 1T smaller). So I've got an extra 1"+ of chain, with no way to make up for it without a tensioner.
    I was wrong, thinking the oval was more of a factor. Forgot I had that much extra chain.
    btw, it's a direct mount Absolute Black chainring.

Apologies to the OP. Since you have horizontal drops, my situation apparently does not apply to you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Thank you everyone there is a wealth of information here! I think I will take the singleator off and pretend like we never met, only to come crawling back when I want to convert my next vertical dropout bike. I'll roll sans tensioner for now and see how it goes! I have been messing with my ratio a bit and while it may not be macho I'm running a 32t oval and a 20t cog in back. My trails are super steep up and down, so I need all the help I can get to make it.

mtbr member
    Haha, I switched from 32/19 to 32/21 because it's all up and down here. Most of my actual pedaling is uphill, and some of that can have more than one obstacle wthin the length of the bike.
    It may not be macho, but it's a lot easier for rocky climbs and regaining momentum where pedal strikes are unavoidable!

mtbr member
    I have a Stinger for sale, in case you want to try that. Installed once, never ridden.

Downcountry AF
    Quote Originally Posted by ATB1991 View Post
    I have been messing with my ratio a bit and while it may not be macho I'm running a 32t oval and a 20t cog in back. My trails are super steep up and down, so I need all the help I can get to make it.
    Riding SS is pretty challenging its self, no need to apologize about your gear combo. Use the appropriate gearing for your trails and fitness. If you stick with it and ride semi-regularly you may find yourself in better shape after a while and may be able to move to a taller gear.

Quote Originally Posted by OwenM View Post
    Most of my actual pedaling is uphill
    On a SS? That's odd, I only pedal down hill. :P

jk, too bad about the DM, I was hoping you had 104 and perhaps it was off center a bit. oh well.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    You know what I mean; there's hardly anything flat here!
    I'm having so much more fun, now, on a better handling bike for cornering and downhills with a sissy gear for climbing.

Glad you asked me that question, 'cause it made me go look at the bike again to see what I was missing before answering.