To Tuggnut or not Tuggnut- Mtbr.com

Poll: Surly Solid Axle, Tuggnut or No

mtbr member

To Tuggnut or not Tuggnut

Running surly hub with solid axle/lock nuts. Debating on throwing a tuggnut on there too. How many run that combo or skip the tuggnut altogether. This is NOT involving QR axles.

Apr 2007
    I've not needed tugnuts, QR or not. I'd say skip, unless you run into slippage issues.

mtbr member
    I agree with p nut. I've never needed them. Give it a shot without them first and it'll always be available if you change your mind or need it

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    i use em on the drive side of both my trackend, solid axle bikes - ss 29er & ss/fixed commuter. it was very convenient that they came in a 2-pack
    tugs make it real easy to put the wheel back in the exact same spot or when i need to move it back slightly to tighten chain when it stretches a bit.
    i think they provide a lot of usefulness for a very small outlay.
    Last edited by markaitch; 12-29-2010 at 05:28 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I've not had issues with slippage on my 1x1 since I went to a bolt on axle.

They are a little bit nice for setting chain tension, but I haven't had any issues doing it 'freehand' either.
    Stache 7 --- Rigid Surly 1x1 B+ --- Dirt Drop CrossCheck

mtbr member
    I have had bolted axles slip enough to let the chain come off, I definitely recommend some sort of tensioner. My personal favorite is from Redline; lightweight and easy to use.

I actually use two. That way, if/when I have to take the back wheel off I can easily put it back in the same location. They also make setting the chain tension very easy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    +1 Redline tensioner. I did have to hacksaw mine to get them to fit my dropouts but they've been working great since.

mtbr member
    I had to use a Tuggnut with my bolt on hubs to prevent slipping. (Phil Wood to Karate Monkey) I vote tuggnut.

NormalNorm
    Another vote for tuggnut.

I seem to always have some slippage without them. Might be that I'm a heavier guy compared to most. They are abit of a hassle when changing the wheel,etc.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I had one on a track bike years ago and it was more trouble than it was worth. I run bolt on hubs and no tugnut with no problems getting chain tension or centering my wheel.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    without a tug i'd continue to hurl my nuts into my stem on a regular basis....

tug away my friend....tug away....
    Click Here for Forum Rules

mtbr member
    I had a Surly bike and never needed a tugnut/or similar, I agree with p nut, only add if need be. IMO the Surly tugnuts are overpriced, I use the Redline chain tensioner on my Muss.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I prefer some sort of tug nut on my sliding dropouts over really cranking down on the axle nuts, and I did use the Surly version for a while, but now use the Redline version exclusively. I bought a Surly QR spacer (for the actual TuggNut) and put it with the Redline one and I can now use a QR skewer on my SS bike. I do miss the bottle opener on the TuggNut tho.

mtbr member
    Went with the redline. Seems nice. Fits the 1x1 fine and gives a lot more piece of mind for such a small, light, cheap part.

Members who have read this thread: 0