ali'i hua

truvativ stylo SS chainrings: cr@p ano?

anyone else have the issue?

did some spring cleaning on my 29er SS, and threw some of the drivetrain into the parts cleaner (filled with simple green, er, brown- need to get the master tech to do something about that...) at the bike shop. so, went to help a customer and came back to dig the parts out about 5 minutes later- chain: nice n clean- cranks, the same, boone cog and spacers: fine, chainring bolts- fine as well. then comes out the chainring, and its a merky GREEN color, NOT black.

the worst part: all of the ano didnt come off, even after an extended dip (30 minutes), so, now it just looks like cr@p. oh well. bike's still ridable, so its not really an issue, but, has anyone else see this happen?

blatant curiosity here.

WAWE
    Jan 2004
    Yup, Simple Green (and other cleaners) can sometimes harm anodized aluminum finishes... but I'm surprised SG did damage after only 5 minutes. Curious - was it full strength or diluted? Was it a normal soaking tank or ultrasonic?

Get some Easy-Off oven cleaner (or lye straight up) to eat the rest of the anodizing off... soak, scrub, repeat.

ali'i hua
    Quote Originally Posted by aosty
    Yup, Simple Green (and other cleaners) can sometimes harm anodized aluminum finishes... but I'm surprised SG did damage after only 5 minutes. Curious - was it full strength or diluted? Was it a normal soaking tank or ultrasonic?

Get some Easy-Off oven cleaner (or lye straight up) to eat the rest of the anodizing off... soak, scrub, repeat.
    full strength, warmed, non ultrasonic.

yeah- 5 minutes yeilded the green. odd, i know. hmm. tax returns came. maybe i can afford a boone.......

thanks for the easy-off idea, Al.