Truvativ Stylo SS?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Truvativ Stylo SS?

Has Truvativ improved the Stylo SS for '04? Have heard about people having problems with these in the past. Looking at these cuz of the cost. Thnx.

got endorphin?
    Jan 2004

no problem

I've had my 03 stylo'ss for about 10 months. No problems with cranks or bb. Very impressed thus far. I run 32:19 and weigh 200+. In fact I'm hoping Boone can come up with a 1-pc ti chainring to replace the spider/ring assy! Boone (Brett) says its in process.

BB

"Mr. Britannica"

ditto

although I'd be considered a lightweight and am easy on stuff. Had a cheap BB crap out, but otherwise no problems.

formerly Giantxc

1 piece ring

Hefty,

Please post when you hear from Boone about that 1 piece spider/ring. I'd be interested in one if he can do it.

Mike

mtbr member

Still not answering your question

Quote Originally Posted by punk77
    Has Truvativ improved the Stylo SS for '04? Have heard about people having problems with these in the past. Looking at these cuz of the cost. Thnx.
    but don't settle for the '03 Stylo's. Had them on my SISS and they weren't good to me. Blew out the BB in a month and the left arm was always comming off even after using Locktite. There was also a noticible amount of flex; this for a 170lb rider. Am loving my XT setup with Blackspire ring.

mtbr member

I'd get something else...

Quote Originally Posted by TwoPumpChump
    but don't settle for the '03 Stylo's. Had them on my SISS and they weren't good to me. Blew out the BB in a month and the left arm was always comming off even after using Locktite. There was also a noticible amount of flex; this for a 170lb rider. Am loving my XT setup with Blackspire ring.

A friend of mine had problems keeping the arms on as well. He tried different crank bolts, Locktite, and even JB Weld...and the arms still loosened up. He's running some Shimano XT cranks now and is happy as a clam.

Ride what you want!!
    I have the Stylos, but I'm running a shimano BB, is the problem with the Cranks for the BB?

Haven't really put enough miles on them to put them through their paces. I'll put another 30 or 40 miles this weekend.

george
    Trogs: Too Tough for Carbon Fiber

The man who fell to earth

I had a Stylo on my DISS...

...for a month or two. It seemed allright, but I never really rode with it long enough to see how it would hold up in the long run. The bottom bracket crapped out in about a month though...the ISIS standard sucks ass. You can check the reviews of ISIS BB's and see for yourself, or ask around here. The general consensus is that ISIS is not ready for prime time. I would advise you go with Shimano Octalink or get a good 'ole square drive....especially with that really tasty Phil Wood BB that will last for decades.

Ride what you want!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy-Stardust
    ...for a month or two. It seemed allright, but I never really rode with it long enough to see how it would hold up in the long run. The bottom bracket crapped out in about a month though...the ISIS standard sucks ass. You can check the reviews of ISIS BB's and see for yourself, or ask around here. .
    Ah... I have a square taper stylo.

george
    Trogs: Too Tough for Carbon Fiber

Fahrrad fahren

Same Story here

Quote Originally Posted by TwoPumpChump
    I bought a set a couple of years ago. The left arm kept coming loose. I Fianlly got them to a point where they didn't, for about a year, but when I recently switched to a different bike, the old problem was back. I'm done. Back to square taper for me. Waiting on a un72 BB from Harris as I write (and an ENO hubbed wheel too!)

H
    Fixing Frederick Coasting Carroll Wandering Washington

Eric the Red

Same cranks, different problem

Unlike so many others, I have had zero problems with ISIS stuff. I have it on 3 of my bikes, and after two years, I'm still using the same bbs. My problem with the Stylo ss cranks was that I snapped the crankarm off. I noticed some cracks around the arm on either side of the break, and it had been cracked and getting worse for a while. I'm not abusive, or hard on parts at all. I had seen this once before, and checked some reveiws after mine broke and it's somewhat common, in the 02 and earlier cranks. They replaced mine with new ones, and I'll see what happens.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

no problems with the '03 stylo here...

I have two sets of 2003 ISIS stylo cranks (one is a 180mm stylo SS and the other is a 175mm gearie stylo team) and haven't had a problem with either one. That's a big surprise, because I'm a bigger guy and relatively hard on stuff. The stylo team on my gearie is flexy, but at least they stay on the daggone BB. I had a BIG problem with square taper Race Face turbine cranks loosening up, and the one set of XT hollowtech cranks I had were creaky pieces of dung.
    Last edited by Earthpig; 03-05-2004 at 09:36 PM. Reason: addition