Truvativ Stylo 1.1G left side crank won't stay tight- Mtbr.com
    SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008

Truvativ Stylo 1.1G left side crank won't stay tight

Truvativ Stylo 1.1G with that aluminum GigaPipe nut on my 2009 Haro Mary SS won't stay tight. I've been checking it every couple rides and couple months ago the hollow aluminum nut snapped in half and the crank came off during a ride. Fortunately I wasn't landing a jump or in some gnar at the time. I replaced the cheap-azz bolt with a solid steel one and it has been good, but now every couple rides it is loose.

EDIT: Running CB Candy pedals so getting good power on up and down stroke and I'm about 200 lbs geared up....iirc cranks are 180 or 185mm length...Large size frame Mary has long cranks.

I have the BB splines and the bolt threads all lightly greased and tighten it pretty good with a standard full lenght allen wrench, but it keeps coming loose. Thought about Loctite, but that seems to be a no no on MTB and don't want to over-tighten and strip the hollow BB shaft....what should I do?
    Last edited by Natedogz; 11-20-2009 at 11:11 PM.
    Get off the couch and ride!

mtbr member
    I personally wouldn't run one of those without a torque wrench. That design really relies on proper torque on that bolt, and chances are you may not be getting that. Their spec calls for a minimum of 360 in-lbs, which is equivalent to 60 lbs of force on a 6 inch hex wrench. My Octalink crankset called for about the same amount and I was surprised how hard that was even with an 18in long torque wrench.

Also, Loctite can be a big help for this kind of stubborn bolt

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    OK, will clean em up and use my torque wrench with some blue Loctite....360 in-lbs also = 30ft-lbs...what is max torque spec? I looked and couldn't find any torque specs for these.

mtbr member
    Park is my quick reference; they say 420 in-lbs is max

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Just fitted one of these, & using my 1/2" drive torque wrench it took a LOT of force to reach the correct torque. You just won't get there with an allen key.

Expert Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by Natedogz
    OK, will clean em up and use my torque wrench with some blue Loctite....360 in-lbs also = 30ft-lbs...what is max torque spec? I looked and couldn't find any torque specs for these.
    Clean it well and use 32 ft_lbs. I believe the torque value was 32-35 ft_lbs, however, 32 w/ some blue loctite has been magic on my Stylos for several years now.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Truvativ will also tell you that if the crank arm isn't installed properly the first time it will never stay tight. I have been told by them up to 450 in-lbs. I wouldn't hesitate to put a little loc-tite on there either. dont go crazy with like red threadlocker or loc-tite 680. but Loc-tite brand 242 is a great retension compound.

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    Thanks, I just finished cleaning the heck out of it, blue loctite 242 (stick type that doesn't run all over where you don't want it ) and torqued it to about 45 ft-lbs....kinda hard to tell using a pointer type wrench and holding the other crank and bike by myself so I gave it a little extra pull....didn't move much after about 40 - 45. I could see some polished marks where the crank had been wiggling on the external splines on the shaft. Hope it holds up, I really like everything else about this crankset.

Expert Crasher
    Thanks, I just finished cleaning the heck out of it, blue loctite 242 (stick type that doesn't run all over where you don't want it ) and torqued it to about 45 ft-lbs....kinda hard to tell using a pointer type wrench and holding the other crank and bike by myself so I gave it a little extra pull....didn't move much after about 40 - 45. I could see some polished marks where the crank had been wiggling on the external splines on the shaft. Hope it holds up, I really like everything else about this crankset.
    45 is really tight - are you sure you have enough spacers? If you get it too tight, you have too much pre-load on the bearings and it'll eat them quickly.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenLightGo
    45 is really tight - are you sure you have enough spacers? If you get it too tight, you have too much pre-load on the bearings and it'll eat them quickly.
    Wow, what was I thinking, forgot about bearing preload....glad I re-checked this thread before ride today. 35 ft-lbs and feels smoother. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    sram says with just a large allen wrench alone, you can almost not get it too tight. so crank on it, within reason. no stomping on allen, like a lug nut wrench.

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    24 miles of sweet singletrack with a few drops today and it seems to still be tight.

Expert Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by Movemint
    sram says with just a large allen wrench alone, you can almost not get it too tight. so crank on it, within reason. no stomping on allen, like a lug nut wrench.
    SRAM includes torque measurements in the instructions - I'd follow those.

Expert Crasher
    24 miles of sweet singletrack with a few drops today and it seems to still be tight.
    Good news.

Members who have read this thread: 0