Truvativ SS rings?- Mtbr.com
    Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004

Truvativ SS rings?

Trying to build a Van Dessel Country Road Bob w/ a single ring up front. I have an older Truvativ Stylo crankset with a removable spider which I'd like to use. Already learned the hard way that the splines on the 33t Ritchey from Nashbar won't fit. The splines on the Truvativ appear quite propprietary, with two larger "lobes" among the normal notches. Is a Truvativ SS ring what I want? I can't find any info or pics online (even at the Truvativ site) that give a clear view of the SS ring w/o the bashguard in place. I know I could just attach a 32t middle ring to the spider using shorter chainring bolts, but I was going for a cleaner look. Any tips/ideas? Thx,
    - Joe

jrm
    mtbr member

Arent all Truvativ cranks 4 bolt 104 compacts

I asked truvativ and they only make a 32 and 33T SS ring. Salsa has everything from a 32 to 42 in 104 compact. Bikeman carrys um..
    Last edited by jrm; 05-11-2004 at 12:56 PM. Reason: .

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004

Yeah, but...

I'm looking for a chainring that'll bolt directly to the base of the crank (like a Jericho or Spot) rather than via a spider. But it's gotta fit the unique(?) Truvativ spline pattern, and I was wondering if Truvativ's SS rings do that, or rely on a spider like the rest of their rings. Maybe I should take a pic of it tonight.... Thx,
    - Joe

formerly Giantxc
    The only Truvative rings I'm aware off rely on a 4 bolt, 104mm spider. In addition, after snapping one of those in half I wouldn't trust a spiderless ring if they made one.

Quote Originally Posted by NuMexJoe
    I'm looking for a chainring that'll bolt directly to the base of the crank (like a Jericho or Spot) rather than via a spider. But it's gotta fit the unique(?) Truvativ spline pattern, and I was wondering if Truvativ's SS rings do that, or rely on a spider like the rest of their rings. Maybe I should take a pic of it tonight.... Thx,
    - Joe

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I don't think what you're talking about is made (you want to replace the spider with a chainring, right?) for those cranks. The only Truvativ singlespeed chainring I can find (at Webcyclery, but no pic) says it's 4-bolt/104, and it also says it's the one from the Truvativ SS crankset, which leads me to believe that the Truvativ SS crankset uses standard chainrings bolted on to a removable 4-bolt spider.

- Joe

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004

That's my answer, then

Thanks, slowride. Not what I was hoping for, but I guess that settles it. If I want to use the spare Stylo cranks, then I'm gonna have to use the spider and the middle ring. I'll try and post a pic when I'm done.
    - Joe

hidden persuasions

is this the spider you're talking about?

Thanks, slowride. Not what I was hoping for, but I guess that settles it. If I want to use the spare Stylo cranks, then I'm gonna have to use the spider and the middle ring. I'll try and post a pic when I'm done.
    - Joe

if the picture shows the spider you're talking about then i don't think there is a compatible spider between other manufacturer's cranks. truvativ spider for truvativ crank. same bolt circle chainring for same bolt circle spider. if you are trying to put on an old XTR outer chainring on to your truvativ crank arm for instance, i don't think they will match up. if they do match up let us know...what a discovery if they do.

hope this helped
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

That Ritchey "ring" may not be a ring. . .

T Already learned the hard way that the splines on the 33t Ritchey from Nashbar won't fit.
    I haven't held one in my hand and inspected it, and I make no claims to know everything, but I've suspected that the thing Nashbar has had on its closeout pages for a while isn't a chainring at all.

RItchey used to sell 2x9 kits back before the Big S went 9-speed. The way it worked, was you bought this 33t single cog which slid onto the freehub body behind your 8 speed cassette, giving you 9 speeds that worked with 8 speed chains, etc.

I think that thing Nashbar is selling is actually that cog, but none of their catalog writers remembers the Ritchey 2x9 system so they just assumed it's a chainring.

Again, I could be wrong, but my guess would be that if you look at the spline pattern on that thing it looks at lot like a hyperdrive cog pattern . . .