Truvativ Noir on Singlespeed?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Truvativ Noir on Singlespeed?

Buddy has a set of Truvative Noir cranks he's selling me. I wanted to run them on my single speed (currently using XT), but not sure if this is possible with the Noir cranks. Anyone know? I think they are the 3.3 Team Carbon version.

Low Rep Count
    Why would this not be possible? Is it not a matter of simply removing the outer/inner rings?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SPD
    Why would this not be possible? Is it not a matter of simply removing the outer/inner rings?
    I haven't held them in my hands yet to see, but I run XT crank right now and just removed the inner rings. Just wondering if there was any modification that would need to be made.

Low Rep Count
    From what I can see from all the pictures I have looked at, it looks like you can simply remove both the outer and inner rings and simply run the middle ring for a SS set up. Not sure if you would have to trip the spider arms or not though like has to be done with the XTR's (I have XTR's on my bike and the arms have to be trimmed down) So, I guess that is really the question. But that is nothing that a dremil with a cutting wheel couldn't take care of pretty easily. Nothing like cutting up some perfectly good carbon fiber!

mtbr member
    I think on my XT I just run the outer ring. Not sure you can run the middle ring?

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    yea, lots of people run them they are a 104bcd bolt pattern (4 bolt). is this bike used on or offroad? The outer ring is a little big for offroad use. Also, make sure the ring isnt ramped or pinned for shifting (which it will be). That's a quick way to lose a nut.

mtbr member
    It's going on my single speed mtb. I've been running the XT (and I guess using the outer ring). How do I use the middle ring? Seems there isn't anywhere to bolt the ring on if I don't use the spider (outer ring).

mtbr member
    I used to run a Noir 3.3 that I converted into a SS crank. Just take off the outer and inner rings. You will need to either get a set of shorter chainring bolts OR you will need to get a bash guard. Pretty much the same way that every triple crankset is converted to SS.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat Ark
    I used to run a Noir 3.3 that I converted into a SS crank. Just take off the outer and inner rings. You will need to either get a set of shorter chainring bolts OR you will need to get a bash guard. Pretty much the same way that every triple crankset is converted to SS.
    Oh I see... it's just a matter of which side of the spider you attach the chainring?

Cool thanks. How'd you like it?
    Last edited by batterhead; 05-26-2010 at 02:01 PM.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by batterhead
    It's going on my single speed mtb. I've been running the XT (and I guess using the outer ring). How do I use the middle ring? Seems there isn't anywhere to bolt the ring on if I don't use the spider (outer ring).

you must have an older set of xt cranks that has a removable spider (the big ring acts as a spider). Those make great singlespeed cranks with a spiderless chainring.

The new crank will not be like that. All 3 rings will be removable so you can put on a proper SS ring.

mtbr member
    Just take your 3 rings off and put one good SS ring on the crankset with shorter bolts or the bashguard. I would rather have a specific SS ring than the middle ring personally.
    My motorcycle runs on infant blood

Members who have read this thread: 0