Truvativ / FSA / RaceFace Cranks?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Truvativ / FSA / RaceFace Cranks?

Hi group. I'm looking at a new set of SS cranks/BB for my bike. Narrowed down to:

1) Truvativ Stylo 1.1
    2) FSA V-Drvie
    3) RaceFace Evolve XC

They've all got mediocre reviews on the website, so I'm looking for some advice/opinions on which one to get.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    None? I have the Stylo and am I'm looking to sell them and go to ENO cranks w/Ti ring if I can get one or Middleburn UNO. The Stylos aren't bad if you have them set up right, but a lot of people have problems and the BB selection is limited.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb.mick
    Hi group. I'm looking at a new set of SS cranks/BB for my bike. Narrowed down to:

1) Truvativ Stylo 1.1
    2) FSA V-Drvie
    3) RaceFace Evolve XC

They've all got mediocre reviews on the website, so I'm looking for some advice/opinions on which one to get.
    Of those, the RF. Most of the issues with it are due to incorrect installation (insufficient torque used when mounting the left arm).

You couldn't pay me to buy a Truvativ crank, the FSA's are OK for a cheap crank.

but why not just get a NOS LX Octalink crank? or 2-piece Deore. Similar pricing, Shimano reliability.

mtbr member
    Running Stylo 1.1 (2008) HARD for a while now with no problems. The crank and the GXP bottom bracket both seem fine after some very tough riding in (sometimes) less than perfect conditions.

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    i've been running my truvativ hussefelt SS crankset on my monocog for a couple years now,no problems @ all.

i have some race face turbines (triple) on my 26er gearie,and haven't had a problem there either.
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    My Haro Mary came with the Stylo cranks. I swapped some FSA Afterburners on before I ever rode the bike. The Stylo went on my old Trek SS convert. After riding the afterburners for a while I took a ride on the Trek and the Stylo's felt like rubber.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I've had big problems with the Race Face cranks and so have a couple friends. They simply will not stay tight. I have had zero issues with the Vdrive cranks that I used for 2+ years. I ride pretty damned hard, too. The only gripe that I have is with the durability of outboard bearing bottom brackets, but thats not what we're discussing in this thread.

ride the moment
    I ditched stylo's for ENO w/ phil BB and I'm very happy with the change.
    Hey Butthead, are we gonna die? - Beavis

mtbr member
    I used FSA V-Drive SS cranks on my singlespeed for a while and now I have them on my 1x9. I had them professionally installed and they have been very reliable. I love the stiff feeling of the cranks (coming from a bontrager comp crank before). They were not expensive at all.

Members who have read this thread: 0