Truvativ BB Torque- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Truvativ BB Torque

My Truvativ BB on my SISS was creaking like crazy. I borrowed a "Shimano" XTR tool from my friend and removed, cleaned it up, regreased, and reinstalled. When I reinstalled I torqued it to 40 ft-lbs. This was because I checked my Zinn's book and that was in the middle of the range that was listed. I checked the Truvativ site today and found they recommend 30 ft-lbs. Do you think it is worth redoing the job? It isn't that much trouble but I don't know if this will toast the bearings or something.

BTW: When I took it out, I expected to fight it a little bit. It was orinally in about finger tight (well a little more but not even close to tight enough). There is a little bit of "sand" noise if I put my ear up to the steel frame. There is no slop in the bearings. I know of the bad experiences with ISIS so I am worried about the bearings making it. The bike was new in October 03.

GP

"Mr. Britannica"

Is the Truvativ ISIS?

Creaking was the only symptom my ISIS BB had when it imploded. Took it off, turned the spindled, and realized it was well on its way to the great BB cloud in the sky, and just replaced it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by roadiegonebad
    Creaking was the only symptom my ISIS BB had when it imploded. Took it off, turned the spindled, and realized it was well on its way to the great BB cloud in the sky, and just replaced it.
    Mine wasn't too bad. It definitely doesn't have that "hydraulic" feel of a brand new one. It feels like a wheel that hasn't been overhauled for about 1.5 years but no real grinding. Just not like new. I can only hear the "sand" noise when I put my ear to the frame. I know they aren't very robust so I'm worried about the torque doing damage. I rode it last night and couldn't make it creak after finishing the work.

GP