Trek: Zap :: poop:pigs- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Trek: Zap :: poop:pigs

I am pissed off today:
    MARCH 22, 2004 -- WATERLOO, WI (BRAIN)--Zapata Espinoza wasted no time exerting a little influence at Trek. The company recently signed on as sponsor of three big motorbike names.

The trio includes: Ty Davis, WORCS national champion; motocross rider Ryan Hughes; and Mat Mladin, four-time AMA Superbike champion and 2003 Cycle News Rider of the Year.

"With Lance Armstrong as our inspiration, we wanted to align ourselves with athletes who stood out for their sense of courage, dedication and physical prowess," said Espinoza, Trek's brand manager. "Among motorcycle racers today, Mat, Ty and Ryan reflect those standards better than anyone."

Trek is sponsoring Mladin and Hughes individually and the entire Ty Davis off-road team, which includes Nathan Woods, Ryan McIntyre and Andy Jefferson.

Mladin and Hughes are cross-training on Trek's Madone 5.9 road bikes, and Davis is riding a Liquid 35 trail bike and an aluminum/OCLV 2300 road bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Not really anything new, Specialized is sponsoring Ricky Carmichael and others.......
    Just companies trying to promote their product.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DMFT
    Not really anything new, Specialized is sponsoring Ricky Carmichael and others.......
    Just companies trying to promote their product.
    Yeah, but a royal waste of money.

keep the shiny side up!
    exactly why are you pissed?
    it affects you how? oh yeah it doesn't!
    get over it!

mtbr member

so pissed

Quote Originally Posted by Phat_Head
    exactly why are you pissed?
    it affects you how? oh yeah it doesn't!
    get over it!
    oh, it just pisses me off. so Hulk like pissed to piss you off.

keep the shiny side up!
    haha
    okay
    enjoy your piss fit.

paintbucket
    I'm with Ernesto. If Trek wants to put advertising dollars into another sport that's fine. But with MTBing is such dire sponsorship straights they shouldn't be surprised if they disenchant some potential customers.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

mtbr member

it's like...

Quote Originally Posted by wooglin
    I'm with Ernesto. If Trek wants to put advertising dollars into another sport that's fine. But with MTBing is such dire sponsorship straights they shouldn't be surprised if they disenchant some potential customers.
    the makers of ENO sponsoring bungee jumpers...a waste of $$$. Trek should focus on their lame ass Trek Travel division. They should focus on other beneficial programs for communities to get kids and people out there and ride. They should get more political. Instead of spending lameass money on motocrossers, spend some money with let's say, SubWay, to promote fitness and a healthy lifestyle...then the bigguns like Mc and Burger King would realize that they need to change their marketing approach...I applied for Zap's job before he got hired. Zap is an idiot.

"Hey guys, I'm no Mexican in Wisconsin, but check it dood, I got us hooked up with motos!"
    Last edited by ernesto_from_Wisconsin; 03-22-2004 at 12:08 PM. Reason: .

Ride what you want!!
    Does Trek make motorcycle products? I don't get the connection.

george
    Trogs: Too Tough for Carbon Fiber

Probably drunk right now

Duh...

Quote Originally Posted by george_da_trog
    Does Trek make motorcycle products? I don't get the connection.

george
    They're a Tier 2 supplier to Cannondale....

Basically, I <i><b>think</i></b> the connection is that Zap has convinced Trek that they can sell mountain bikes to MX enthusiasts. I don't have one shred of market data to support my opinion, but I think they're pissing up a rope. I've heard a few "I have a mountain bike" comments from a couple of MXers, but the "I'd ride it if it had a motor" comments far outwiegh any others.

Perhaps if the pro's x-train on bikes, it will convince the target market to ride bikes. I guess it could happen.

Ken

FUD

Jan 2004

it may chafe you..

but its probably good marketing. there's a piece in this months <i>Outside</i> about the huckster freeride crowd and how that end of the sport is being sold. in the article Zap says "mt bikes are so ubiquitous, theyve lost their cachet". he's right, apparently, as it also says norba memberships have fallen 61% since '93. Trek (and kona and specialized and cannondale...) are just trying to get new customers. You don't neccessarily do that by selling to the same crowd you've lost sales to for the last decade, you try to expand. Theres a quote from a guy at a park in Whistler saying, "with freeriding, you dont have to be the marathon runner type to get into mt biking anymore, you can be a throttle twister". That's pretty much it. Its too hard to only sell to people who can pedal up hill, so they're going to need to sell to fat gravity whores too. Thats fine I guess, as long as the industry stays afloat who cares whos paying the bills?

Quote Originally Posted by FUD
    but its probably good marketing. there's a piece in this months <i>Outside</i> about the huckster freeride crowd and how that end of the sport is being sold. in the article Zap says "mt bikes are so ubiquitous, theyve lost their cachet". he's right, apparently, as it also says norba memberships have fallen 61% since '93. Trek (and kona and specialized and cannondale...) are just trying to get new customers. You don't neccessarily do that by selling to the same crowd you've lost sales to for the last decade, you try to expand. Theres a quote from a guy at a park in Whistler saying, "with freeriding, you dont have to be the marathon runner type to get into mt biking anymore, you can be a throttle twister". That's pretty much it. Its too hard to only sell to people who can pedal up hill, so they're going to need to sell to fat gravity whores too. Thats fine I guess, as long as the industry stays afloat who cares whos paying the bills?

How many people on this message board were considering purchasing a Trek for their next bike anyways? I'll go out on a limb here and say probably not very many. Getting new people into the 'sport' is not such a bad thing.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

yowza.

they're going to need to sell to fat gravity whores too.
    tell us how you really feel... don't hold back!

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ernesto_from_Wisconsin
    I applied for Zap's job before he got hired. Zap is an idiot.
    Ahhhhhh.... NOW I see what's going on here...

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC
    They're a Tier 2 supplier to Cannondale....

Basically, I <i><b>think</i></b> the connection is that Zap has convinced Trek that they can sell mountain bikes to MX enthusiasts. I don't have one shred of market data to support my opinion, but I think they're pissing up a rope. I've heard a few "I have a mountain bike" comments from a couple of MXers, but the "I'd ride it if it had a motor" comments far outwiegh any others.

Perhaps if the pro's x-train on bikes, it will convince the target market to ride bikes. I guess it could happen.

Ken

Mladin for one is a pretty avid cyclist.........albeit a roadie. It doesn't influence me either way, but hell, I'd buy a Trek road bike if it'd allow me to drag pucks like Mladin

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Great point. I've been around doin this mtn bike thing since '91 and have seen the heyday come and go. The industry has been flailing to find new money for the last 5 - 7 yrs.......I gotta give Trek a hand in their attempts to get some new money pumped in. Trek may be the big hulking behemoth that everyone loves to hate, but their success is hard to dispute. Dare I say they even make some pretty nice bikes.........
    Earn the descent.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Yes road bikes are popular amongst most all of the AMA Superbike riders and I'm sure the same goes for the GP set too. But quite a few ride the dirt as well, for fitness & fun.
    Lot's of Pro's in other sports are "sponsored" (given) bikes all the time MLB, NHL etc....

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm Trek is almost bankrupt....

They hired Zap because alot of people read Mountain Bike. Most people that ride a mountain bike read Mountain Bike. Zap is one of the most knowledgeable advocates of mountain biking. All the ins and outs.
    Have you noticed the quality of Fishers and Kleins in the last two years? AARRGGHH!
    Most, 90%, of the Trek stores are losing money. They've placed them in high rent areas. Good thing the actually own the shops. Otherwise the couldn't have half off sales as often as they do.
    They are doing so bad that Performance has to buy shops that sell Trek. Trek wont allow Performance to sell their bikes (or Trek owned merch. Klein, Fisher, Bontrager, LeMond) so it limits the number of stores that sells Trek creating more of a demand. That's why Performance sells the remaining stock at about 75-50% off, just so people will have Trek branded product in their home.
    Trek didn't actually pay Zap a whole lot, $40K. Not that he is worth $40K in Wisconsin dollars.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I personally see a connection.
    Fox Shocks is owned by a former MXer
    Curnutt(Foes shock supplier)is a former MX supplier
    Romic is owned by an MXer
    Many product(Answer and Fox just to name two) come from MX suppliers.
    Just about all my friend and I have raced motorcycles for 20yrs and have had mountain bikes for near as long.
    I use mine to train for off road endurance races(WORCS,Score,and District37)
    It has a large cross over factor.
    BTW Ty Davis is one of those friends

One gear to rule them all

New question here.

What are you talking about???? Is this joke?

Quote Originally Posted by noslogan
    They hired Zap because alot of people read Mountain Bike. Most people that ride a mountain bike read Mountain Bike. Zap is one of the most knowledgeable advocates of mountain biking. All the ins and outs.
    Have you noticed the quality of Fishers and Kleins in the last two years? AARRGGHH!
    Most, 90%, of the Trek stores are losing money. They've placed them in high rent areas. Good thing the actually own the shops. Otherwise the couldn't have half off sales as often as they do.
    They are doing so bad that Performance has to buy shops that sell Trek. Trek wont allow Performance to sell their bikes (or Trek owned merch. Klein, Fisher, Bontrager, LeMond) so it limits the number of stores that sells Trek creating more of a demand. That's why Performance sells the remaining stock at about 75-50% off, just so people will have Trek branded product in their home.
    Trek didn't actually pay Zap a whole lot, $40K. Not that he is worth $40K in Wisconsin dollars.

As for Zapp - never really cared one way or another. The magazine was good until the point that every article was reduced to a bulleted list. The only mtb rags above toilet paper status in our home is Dirt Rag and MBR, a UK publication.

BIKE which I used to like a lot has fallen off the radar - I can read the whole damn thing in 15 minutes !

I say bring back Captain Dondo !

mtbr member

Wink Yeah, Nuts, you're the only bite!

Quote Originally Posted by 32seventeen
    I'm not really happy with the current Kleins.

get down!
    Quote Originally Posted by 32seventeen

I'm confused too, I work at a bike shop that sells Klein/Trek and the other shop that sells Fisher/Lemond/Cannondale is going out of business. We however are very busy...

Trek bikes are dope and I have no doubt that if they made a singlespeed it "could" be very nice...Trek also sponsors a lot of colleges and small clubs that normally wouldn't get sponsors or be able to ride the bikes Trek makes available, their geometry is spot on too

whatevers whatever however they are a conglomerate so I guess people will hate regardless

ride what you brung, as long as the chain doesn't pop off on every uphill
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE