Trek Sawyer as single speed- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2014

Trek Sawyer as single speed

I know there is a whole thread on them, they are all biased. I have an opportunity to buy one in mostly stock configuration. I would have to get rid of my Kona Unit to finance. The idea is to convert to single speed and ride it while I upgrade it over the next few months. The big attractions aside from the killer looking frame is the option to convert to belt drive, which will be in the plans.
    I love my Kona and have nice parts on it- King Headset, Thomson Stem, Carbon bars, XT brakes, decent Easton wheels. Am I crazy to dump this to get a heavy 'rolling frame' with sub par components? The Kona is no lightweight, but not bad. I love flinging it around etc. I know it comes down to me, but let me hear your thoughts. Anyone riding one? How is it as a real mountainbike? I ride on the Front Range of CO and love smooth singe track as much as I do rock gardens.
    let's hear it....
    Last edited by CObiker123; 06-11-2015 at 07:20 AM.

Yeet so hard
    I tried to buy one (used) for years, but could never find one in my size. I would buy it in a second!

If you are concerned about your parts why don't you swap all your goodies over to the new bike and build the unit with the lower end parts and then sell that? You would get less back, but then you have a custom-ish build to ride.
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF
    Smash

mtbr member
    I have one. It was my only mountain bike for awhile. What I found when I bought it first was, yes, the weight penalty. Going from a lighter AL bike I went from 32:18 to 32:20 on the gearing. It's a fun and capable bike but it's not the best thing for super technical. I find it harder to lift up the front, hop around, and be agile on. It's not bad, just not as capable as other bikes. The biggest issue I face with rock gardens on it is the stand over. For me with a 32" inseam the 17.5" size does not leave much room and has ended...uncomfortably.

I have another bike for more technical and playful riding now, but I still love it. I was offered more than I payed for it out the door the other day and the answer was definitely that it's not for sale.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Thanks guys. Tims I have thought about that, but to get what I want/need for the Kona, I feel like I need to leave the better components on. Great thoughts JM, just the feedback I was looking for. I have a 32" inseam as well, and this Sawyer I am looking at is a large - 19".

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    i owned one a few years back converted to SS. I wasn't a fan. Heavy and the quality of the steel is pretty low. You're not going to get that elusive "steel is real" feel from that frame. If it were me, I'd keep the Kona.

mtbr member
    I cannot verify this, but I remember seeing a review where someone stripped one down and the frame alone was something like 8 pounds. I would love to own and ride a bike that looks that elegant, but I would think something that heavy would be cumbersome.

The ONLY reason why I would get one is to run 29x3 tires on it. That would be a fun bike. Other than that, I would not get one personally for all reasons mentioned.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I've got a 19" frame that I am thinking about selling. What's a good price to ask for it? It's in very good condition.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slackHA View Post
    I've got a 19" frame that I am thinking about selling. What's a good price to ask for it? It's in very good condition.
    I'd search the completed listings on ebay. They come up there often. That should give you a ballpark figure. Then you have to decide if you are in a place to be able to sell it locally, or if you'll have to sell here or on feebay to get the most.