trek 830 conversion- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

trek 830 conversion

Have a trek 830 antelope. Pulled off all shifter parts, and split front chainring to just one single one. Then put on SS crank bolts. Then I put on a rear freewheel, 16t. However

When I ride..5 minutes later my crank arms come undone...

Any idea whats doing this? Too tight of a chain?

Also any idea whats the cheapest mtb SS cranks?The stock crank that I took apart has a few teeth that are almost worn down.

VENI VEDI BIKI
    Quote Originally Posted by Xhastex View Post
    Have a trek 830 antelope. Pulled off all shifter parts, and split front chainring to just one single one. Then put on SS crank bolts. Then I put on a rear freewheel, 16t. However

When I ride..5 minutes later my crank arms come undone...

Any idea whats doing this? Too tight of a chain?

Also any idea whats the cheapest mtb SS cranks?The stock crank that I took apart has a few teeth that are almost worn down.
    What do you mean they "came undone"? Are you saying the crank arms came off the bottom bracket spindle? If so, then you did not tighten your crank bolts properly; FYI: crank bolts hold the crank arm to the BB spindle; chainring bolts hold the chainwheel to the crankarm spider. There is no such thing as a "single speed crank bolt."
    Veni Vidi Biki

I came, I saw, I biked.

mtbr member
    if your crank arm came off, one of two things is wrong:
    1. you didn't tighten your crank bolt enough in the first place, so it rattled loose.
    2. your crank arm is worn out and no amount of tightening it will help.

how does your chain line look? is the front chainring parallel to the rear freewheel?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Well the crank arms look semi stripped so thats gotta be it. What kind of cranks should I upgrade too?
    Last edited by Xhastex; 12-29-2011 at 03:16 PM.

mtbr member
    Sorry.. OT.. Post some pics of it when done, the 830 Antelope was my first MTB, but I don't have any pictures of mine from the mid 90's..
    Draft College Republicans

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rearviewmirror View Post
    Sorry.. OT.. Post some pics of it when done, the 830 Antelope was my first MTB, but I don't have any pictures of mine from the mid 90's..
    will do. im wanting to go the cheap route with it so Ill be looking on here,ebay, craigs for a cheap ss crank. Any 3 speed cranks that I can disassemble that will work good?

A Gentleman and a MTBR'
    Mar 2007
    I'd grab something that's period appropriate and cheap.. there are an abundance of nice, square taper cranks on ebay, craigslist, bike kitchens, shops with used parts etc...

VENI VEDI BIKI
    Quote Originally Posted by Xhastex View Post
    will do. im wanting to go the cheap route with it so Ill be looking on here,ebay, craigs for a cheap ss crank. Any 3 speed cranks that I can disassemble that will work good?
    Assuming you have single stack chainring bolts, you can order any generic square taper crank that matches the BCD of your chainwheel---it doesn't need to be "single speed" specific. Although, if you just put on a new cog and the teeth on your chainwheel are worn, you are probably better off getting a new crankset and chainwheel

If you want cheap.

Great For Single Speed!! AL Crankset 5 Bolt x 110mm BCD x 170mm L, Black 450-007 | eBay

Veni Vidi Biki

I came, I saw, I biked.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I wouldn't buy those. I would get a set of Octalink Hollowtech Shimanos. You get a used LX crank on eBay for under $30 (I just did).

The bottom brackets are available for around $25-$30. The Octalinks are better than square taper because they are stiffer and I think they provide a better feeling ride. Nothing wrong with square taper, but I think a stiffer crank is a better way to go.

VENI VEDI BIKI
    Quote Originally Posted by wjphillips View Post
    I wouldn't buy those. I would get a set of Octalink Hollowtech Shimanos. You get a used LX crank on eBay for under $30 (I just did).

The bottom brackets are available for around $25-$30. The Octalinks are better than square taper because they are stiffer and I think they provide a better feeling ride. Nothing wrong with square taper, but I think a stiffer crank is a better way to go.
    To each his own. I use square taper on almost all my bikes and have never had a problem. Cheap parts, easy to service, tired and true. The OP is converting a 15 yr old bike and wants to replace a broken crankset on the cheap. Unless there is something wrong with the bottom bracket, why would he want to go through the trouble of removing and instaling the bottom bracket as well? He will also have to buy another tool for the octalink.
    Veni Vidi Biki

I came, I saw, I biked.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks for the replys. Are the crank arms posted above for a track bike/ SS road bike? I think the mtb abuse would destroy them fast..

mtbr member
    You can shim square taper cranks with aluminum cut from a soda can or roof flashing. I ran one for years shimmed this way. You just have to tighten the crank arm bolt every few miles for the first few rides until the shim beds in. Yeah, it's ghetto, but do you really want to spend any money on a low-end 20 year old bike?