trek 3700 single speed conversion- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

trek 3700 single speed conversion

I just got a stumpjumper fsr, and i am now wanting to convert my 3700 hardtail into a single speed. I am unfamiliar with what is needed to do the conversion. Can it be done without changing the hub? Can someone please make me a list of parts that i would need, also i would need a entire new crank assembly because mine is fried so if anybody has any good ideas with that, i would appreciate it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skyler
    I just got a stumpjumper fsr, and i am now wanting to convert my 3700 hardtail into a single speed. I am unfamiliar with what is needed to do the conversion. Can it be done without changing the hub? Can someone please make me a list of parts that i would need, also i would need a entire new crank assembly because mine is fried so if anybody has any good ideas with that, i would appreciate it.
    go to your lbs, get a single speed conversion kit for about 40 bux including the tensioner.... all you need is there... as far as cranks go, depending if you want to replace the bottom bracket or not. any crank will do to start off... dont spend a lot of money if you dont like it then your not out a lot of money. your rear wheel is fine. just get the the kit and put it on... adjust the spacers according to your chainline( middle ring
    on your cranks)

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    That is it. I just did this with a Trek 4500 for the same reason, to just try it out. I picked this up with another ordrer: http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=5132
    Basically check the pic and that is all you need. Though grabbing a SS or 8spd chain is a good thing as well.
    Have fun!! So far I like it a lot more than I expected too!!
    - mike -

Cheezy Rider
    Besides the kit, you might want to get a new, unramped chainring and mount it on your old crank. Much cheaper than buying a whole new crank. Vuelta makes cheap ones in aluminum, and Truvativ steel rings are supposed to be very good.

Just don't get distracted when you're swapping rings and misplace your bolts

Members who have read this thread: 0