Training on road/ SS vs. Gears- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Training on road/ SS vs. Gears

I am wanting to start racing exclusively on my SS and am about to buy a new road bike. Aside from training off road on my SS would you guys recommend using a SS/Track bike for road training as well or would it be best to have gears? I haven't been able to find much info on SS racing and how best to train for it.

mtbr member
    I'll vote for SS road. In theory, you could train harder on a geared bike. In practice, I ride my SS bike harder because it forces me to.
    http://www.bikingtoplay.blogspot.com/
    RIGID, not "ridged" or "ridgid"
    PEDAL, not "peddle." Unless you're selling stuff

Bike Geek
    Mar 2005
    It really depends on what kind of road riding your going to do. If you plan on training alone or in a small group the SS would be fine. If you plan on doing group rides with faster riders your going to miss the gears. SS is much cooler though.

Brew

I'm feeling dirty, you?
    If you're a solo/loner biker like me, I've got no problems with SS, and the route I choose will depict the resistance.
    Straight line/downhill speed with suffer with SS, so I pick a ratio that will be survivable with effort in a headwind, in turn is easy in neutral/tail wind, but not too low that stomping from a standstill is painful. If your local gradient changes a lot, the gearing should be increased towards acceleration as you train up to lower the ratio with time.

I slowly preparing to build up a fixed rear wheel, because flat straight line road biking gets boring and the temptation to coast. Fixed gearing will be like running for me= you don't move your legs, you don't move.

If you're going geary, please keep your cog count in single digits.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    SS helps build up your hill climbing ability on the road. I keep up with the roadies just fine on a fixed gear except for the fastest riders. But the recreational ones it is pretty easy to hang.

mtbr member
    I will be riding alone 99% of the time so my on road performance means little to me. I am wanting to use the road bike merely as a training tool to enhance my SS power/speed off road. "In my mind" it only makes sense to replicate the SS style of riding (standing often and mashing up climbs) when training on the road, but in the past I have often been surprised by the differences in my training logic vs. what the experts recommend and that is why I posed the question. I'm just looking for training advice from those who have been exclusively "racing" SS for a few years. I've looked for SS training articles online with no real luck.

People of zee wurl,Relax!

I vote gears for the road bike.

I race on the singlespeed and use a geared Surly Cross-Check for road and recovery rides. It is good for your training to switch it up every few rides. The benefit of a cyclocross bike is you can go onto easy trails and do on and off road rides into the wilderness.
    Less Talk, More Rock.
    http://www.peakmtb.com

old part timer
    I have raced on the single speed the last couple of years. I train on the road with my geared bike and commute on a fixed gear. I could not imagine trying to hand with the weekend speed crowd on my fixed gear. We live at the base of the Sierras and all the training rides go up into the hills. My knees would not like the climbs nearly as well as they do on the geared bike.

mtbr member
    The roads around here pretty much replicate the trails, which means a lot of hills but none longer than about 1/2 mile. Some are pretty steep though. Definitely doable with a single gear.

zeebot
    I do exactly what a few posts before mine mentioned. I race SS, train on a geared road bike, and commute on a fixed gear. When the weather is really crappy I'll take the fixed gear out on the road training rides to save my $$$$ road bike.

Training on a geared bike is far more efficient than a single speed.

People will argue they train harder on a SS because it forces you in to poor ratios on hills, etc. Well, if you have discipline, you can do this and more on a geared bike.

Unless you run a huge gearing like 53-14 you are short changing yourself since you top out at such a low speed and will always have to back off to return to a comfortable cadence.

Framebuilder
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookykinkajou
    I do exactly what a few posts before mine mentioned. I race SS, train on a geared road bike, and commute on a fixed gear. When the weather is really crappy I'll take the fixed gear out on the road training rides to save my $$$$ road bike.

Training on a geared bike is far more efficient than a single speed.

People will argue they train harder on a SS because it forces you in to poor ratios on hills, etc. Well, if you have discipline, you can do this and more on a geared bike.

Unless you run a huge gearing like 53-14 you are short changing yourself since you top out at such a low speed and will always have to back off to return to a comfortable cadence.
    Spot on

Members who have read this thread: 0