Trail Riding with a SS?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Trail Riding with a SS?

I am curious how many of you use a 32/18 set up? How do you like it. I have just started

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I'm running 34/19, which on my bike=46.4 gear inches,whereas 32/18=46.1, so it's essentially the same. While I find this perfect about town (which has lots of hills) it can be a bit too tall for some trails here in the southern Rockies. But I'm leaving it, because it's a good compromise, all around gearing.

Oldie
    I'm running 32/18 and love it. It seems to be a good all round gear for my local trails and the pavement ride to the trail(if your not in a hurry that is.)
    "You don't need a lighter bike, you need bigger muscles"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Funrover
    I am curious how many of you use a 32/18 set up? How do you like it. I have just started
    29" wheels or 26" wheels? 32x18 on a 29er is equivalent to 32x16 on a 26er I believe.

I am now using 32x18 on my 29er. I like the speed for average trail riding, but I am also slower on long climbs.

mtbr member
    I'm currently using 32:19 (26" wheel).
    It's a bit spinny for flat road work (but I try not to do much of that anyway !) If you can spin well it's still good for about 15mph on the level and perfect for the trails round here.

mtbr member
    Hey Funrover, I think this is going to be completely up to you. First look, or ask around your local SS scene, and get an idea of what everyone is running. It really depends on a few factors like terrain, your fitness, your bike weight etc. I would say 32/18 would generally be a good place to start. Have fun!
    Originally Posted by Caffeine Powered
    Don't sweat it.

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Funrover, I've ran my 32x18 on my 26" for about three years now and pretty much is the right gear for me! I was forced to run my 16t freewheel when my 18 went out right before my first night lap at the 24hrs. in the sage, just had to work harder! I have gone through several $himano freewheel hubs and after mine froze up the other night at buffalo creek that was it!

I now have this:
    gm 12 18 002b.jpg

next time your up in denver check out our T.I.T.S. rides on thurs. or Fri. nights!

good luck and have fun!
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

mtbr member
    I am starting at this point and seeing how I do... First ride out I broke my freewheel (didn't even get to the trail yet DO'H) I am on a 26" wheel! I figured that with what I plan to do with this bike it will be a great all around gearing!

PBR - trust me when I say I am trying, I keep hoping to get a free thurs/fri night

Hairshirt Rider
    That is a great ratio for the rides around the Springs. No shame in a 19 or 20 either until you get used to the SS rhythm. A 20 will also serve you well above timber line once the snow melts.

local trails rider
    32/18, or 34/19, lets me get to the top of most climbs I have in my area. It is slow on flat ground, which is OK on trails as it lets me recover from the uphills and more technical spots.

Whatever works...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    32:18 is the go-to trail riding set up around here. Go for it and see how it works for you.

My bikes hate me!
    32x16. Perfect 2:1
    26 incher...I don't do clown wheels.
    Most of the stuff around me is fairly flat with short steep climbs. (Charlotte, NC).
    Intensecycles
    Easternbikes
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker.
    now, go dig a giant hole and bury your dumb ass in it....

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I'm running 32/18 on my 29er. I mountain bike in the mountains so I'm usually going uphill or downhill, almost never flat. Its a little high but I got used to it. Just capitalize on the speed going downhill and try to carry it into the next uphill.

If youre riding a 26 then you should have a pretty moderate gear.

V-Shaped Rut
    I go 32/18 as well on a 26" and have found it to be the best all round gear for me. I started with 32/20 for several months. It worked very well on climbs but spins out quick on flats and downhill.

I switched to 32/18 a month ago. On the first ride I thought it was too hard but then I reached down and realized that I had a sack so I kept riding it. Now its fun and I fly up hills that I slogged up before. I think its great here in the desert because more speed/momentum gets you over the sandy/rocky parts without losing traction.

'They' say that 32/16 is the magic gearing for SS but I'm not sure of that with the conditions here, you'd have to be pretty strong to get up some of the tougher climbs here in that gear.

mtbr member
    32x18 on a 26er is a good gear ratio for starting SS. You'll feel when to change to a smaller cog.
    Sit and spin my ass...

mvi
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Just went down to 38/25 on 29" and like it. Grab the geared bike if I need more/less. I like the way the chain runs on bigger cogs and rings.

808+909 = Party Good Time
    32/18 on a 29er. Bike came with that setup and never changed it. Love it, find it perfect for what I ride which is stack loads of hills. First off was hard but you toughen up and enjoy it after a month or so.

mtbr member
    33/18 here. i know it's not a 32 but i think it is just perfect. i spin out on the flats sometimes but the 18 really helps with long or steep climbs. i feel like i could go to a 16 in the back and that would help with downhill and flats, but with that i know i would have to carry a lot more momentum into a hill. in central/western NC, that really isn't all too often.

mtbr member
    32:16 (also no clown wheels... he he he - that's funny right there) and ride Central Georgia and North Georgia mountains - Love it. Have NO plans on going to an easier gear.

There have been a few (like one or two) times an easier gear would have been "nice". But there have been many more when a bigger gear would've been useful - flats, downhills...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    33x18 26" works pretty well for me although sometimes I run 33x16 on less hilly trails.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    im running the stock 32:18 on my GF rig, it works for everything i ride. If i cant make it up the hill then i walk

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I run 32/18 with 26" wheels. There isn't a whole lot of flat ground where I ride so dealing with sustained climbs trumps speed on the flats for me.

mtbr member
    I'm running 32/18 on the Rig.

The EBB makes it easy to keep the same chain, and swap in a 32/20 when I need it for the steeper stuff.

(When I make this statement to guys who ride only geared, they give me a funny look)

don't try this at home
    depends where you ride. i've been running 32x16 for the last several years, but just put a 17 on because i'm off the bike for almost 2 months from an injury and i know 32x16 will hurt when i get back on.
    will you rep me?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I was running 36-16 on my bike and loved the ratio but chain would jump rear cog on hills so I went back to 36-17 which is good all around gear for a 26" bike.I just built a 29er ss and Im running 36 -19 which is just a litle easier then the 36 17 on a 26er I make all hills and I'm just a fast or faster then my geared bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Hi guys!

Im new to SS business so maybe I can tell you a little...

I have 32/16 on my SS - its an old rigid Raleigh Bebop(26'') . It was a hard in summer here, lots of climbs and downhills, really steep. Got used for it, it was hard, but, it was okay.

Now in winter or autumn - it really sucked! We have that much mud here - also on climbs - it really doesn't work good. Okay, maybe for some guys like Schwarzenegger, not for me.

I'm waiting for my 17t and 18t to come around. Guess 18t will be right for this time of year.

I really like 16 on the road. But, like always, the advantage of the one is the disadvantage of the other...

reno

mtbr member
    This Thread Is Worthless.
    Originally Posted by Caffeine Powered
    Don't sweat it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by HOG farmer
    This Thread Is Worthless.
    Why?

Because it has been here 1000 times before?

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    More like 10,000 =/.
    32x20 FWIT,I'm either in sustained climbing,or decending,I have no probs keeping up w/ (or outrunning if a good day) any of my riding buds.

Sometime next year,we will most likely be selling the house out in the sticks,and moving into a small town,where I'll be going car-lite,and I'll most likely up the ratio (or go fixxed....or buy a new SS cross bike,or...)
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

Members who have read this thread: 0