Trail clearing Disciples- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Trail clearing Disciples

Trail clearing Disciples, that is what we were nicknamed this past weekend by the local community. We made such a presence when everyone showed up at the Trailhead Coffee House each morning that people kept coming up and asking what we were doing. We descended like mad mountain bikers on the local trails this past weekend. Getting to the majority of the local favorites clearing off all debris, brushing, doing some minor tread work and removing close to 100 trees off of 8 different trails in the Oakridge area.

There is so many people to say thank you to. I hope no one slipped under the radar this weekend and I didn't get you on the trail maintenance list, if so please drop me a note right away.

I would like to extend a personal thank you to David and Becky at the Trailhead Coffee House in Oakridge. They offered up over 30 sandwiches with a drink, trail mix and goodie for the weekend, as well as some coffee, and their wonderful muffins, scones and brownies. I also want to say thank you to all their staff, Tamara, Primo and Paula, as well as several I don't know, they did a wonderful job helping this weekend go by smoothly. It is turning into a excellent place to meet and head out for the day. They have also been kind enough to offer some parking if you wish to do a ride from there, please check with them before heading out and make sure they have the room for the day to leave a vehicle.

I have also been asked to pass along numerous other thank you from all the other volunteers to the Trailhead Coffee House.

Clif Bar was also on hand with a couple boxes if bars to help fuel the hard working crews.

My best way to say thank you to everyone that made it up for the weekend is offer up this report that is being sent into the Forest Service. Also don't forget we will be doing this in March (March 19, 20 & 21), I will be up there for the entire weekend again making sure there is an opportunity for everyone to come up when they can. We will see what trails need the work and where the snow level is at a little closer to the weekend.

I really appreciate all the hard work every single person put in this weekend. I also understand other people had prior commitments and could not make it. If you were not able to make it please offer a word of thank you to all that did the next time you see them.

Time To Ride,
    Richard

The Forest Service counts both actual time on trail and travel time to location as volunteer hours. I usually only turn in 1 hour max of travel time per vehicle per direction.

Trail Maintenance Report for February 20th-22nd, 2004.

Friday: Salmon Creek Trail
    Volunteers: Richard Sweet, Bert Ojerio, Kate Ojerio, Chris Quandt, Jim Fisher, Randy Dreiling, & Wes Stephens.
    Work Done: Debris removal, drainage work, tree removal, Minor trail reconstruction, brushing.
    Time: 8:00AM-1:00PM; 5 hours x 6 people and 11:00-1:00 = 2 hours x 1 person Total: 32 hours
    Travel Time: 2 hours x 5 vehicles = 10 hours

Friday: Eugene To Crest Trail (The Wall down) & Flat Creek Trail
    Volunteers: Richard Sweet & Bert from a week before.
    Work Done: Debris removal and tree removal (with the misery chain)
    Time: During bike ride, 2 hours of trail work
    Report: Trails mostly clear, Flat Creek 2 trees, 1 with ramped logs 1 along side trail. Eugene to Crest 4 trees, 3 in the middle and 2 towards bottom. Should be gone within 1-2 weeks.

Amount of volunteer time including travel time: 45 hours
    Report: Trail in good shape cleared of all debris and brushed, 5 trees remain, springs in several locations running down middle of trail on bedrock.

Saturday: Alpine Trail
    Volunteers: Bert Ojerio, Riley, Ryan Ojerio, Jeff Huber, Randy Dreiling, Steve Shuman, Boyd Piebenga, Damien Krusiki, John Hartland, Matt Denburg, Richard Sweet, Justin Mitchell, Misty Mitchell, Lauri Sweet, Chris Quandt.
    Work Done: Debris removal, drainage work, tree removal, Minor trail reconstruction, brushing.
    Time: 9:00AM-2:30PM; 4.5 hours x 8 people, 1.5 hours x 1 people, 3.5 hours x 6 people Total: 68.5 hours
    Report: Trail Clear from road 5828 down of all debris and trees. Possible re-route above first crossing of 5828.

Saturday: Westfir Tie Trail
    Volunteers: Bert Ojerio, Riley, Ryan Ojerio, Jeff Huber, Jack Chilerto, Steve Shuman, Boyd Piebenga, Damien Krusiki, John Hartland, Matt Denburg, Richard Sweet, Justin Mitchell, Chris Quandt.

Time: 11:00AM-2:30PM; 1.5 hours x 11 people Total: 16.5 hours
    Report: Trail clear of all debris and trees, and brushed.

Saturday: North Fork Trail
    Volunteers: Alan Debur, Joel Wilson, Wes Stephens, Jessica Nunley, Richard Sweet
    Work Done: Debris removal, drainage work, Minor trail reconstruction, brushing.
    Time: 9:00AM-2:30PM; 5.5 hours x 4 people Total: 22 hours
    Report: Trail clear of debris and brushed, 4 small (24") trees between red covered bridge and road 1910. Tread wet for about 200 yards at start of trail after burn.

Saturday: Salmon Creek trail
    Volunteers: Misty Mitchell, Justin Mitchell, Richard Sweet
    Time: 9:00AM-11:00AM; 2 hours x 3 people Total: 6 hours
    Report: Trail Clear of all trees:

Trail Maintenance Time for Saturday: 113 hours
    Travel Time for Saturday: 22 hours
    Amount of volunteer time including travel time: 135 hours

Sunday: Larison Creek Trail
    Volunteers: Ted Wade, Alan Bennett, Wes Stephens, Damien Krusiki, Adam Steffen, Richard Sweet, Hanna Scholz, Chris Casler, Lauri Sweet.
    Time: 9:00AM-4:30PM; 7.5 hours x 7 people, 6.5 hours x 1 person, 2 hours x 1 person Total: 61 hours
    Report: Trail clear of debris and brushed up from cove for 4 3/4 miles (large rock outcropping on trail). 1 large (40"+) tree aprox 1 mile in, 1 large tree (30") approx 1 1/2 miles in that is in about 6 large pieces and will require numerous cuts. 1 root wad hole approx 1/4 mile from cove, minor tread work and temporary crib work done. Reports of more trees above rock outcropping.

Sunday: Middle Fork Trail (above Butcher Knife Creek)
    Volunteers: Scott Taylor, Candy Walker, Steve Strickland, Alan Debur, Randy Dreiling, Christa Olsson (and Tyler and Maddy).
    Time: 9:00AM-3:30PM; 6.5 hours x 6 people Total: 39 hours
    Report: Numerous trees from Sand Prairie and up on trail. Trail Crew cleared trees from bridge above Butcher Knife down towards Butcher Knife for approx 2 miles, debris removed and brushed approx 80% of section.

Trail Maintenance Time for Saturday: 100 hours
    Travel Time for Saturday: 8 hours
    Amount of volunteer time including travel time: 108 hours

The overall numbers:
    Total Number of individual volunteers: 31 (see list below)
    Total Weekend Volunteer Trail Maintenance time: 250 man hours
    Including Travel Time: 290 volunteer hours

Weekend Volunteers
    Richard Sweet (3 days)
    Randy Dreiling (3 days)
    Wes Stephens (3 days)
    Bert Ojerio (2 days)
    Chris Quandt (2 days)
    Damien Krusiki (2 days)
    Lauri Sweet (2 days)
    Alan Debur (2 days)
    Kate Ojerio
    Jim Fisher
    Riley
    Ryan Ojerio
    Jeff Huber
    Steve Shuman
    Boyd Piebenga
    John Hartland
    Matt Denburg
    Justin Mitchell
    Misty Mitchell
    Jack Chilerto
    Joel Wilson
    Jessica Nunley
    Ted Wade
    Alan Bennett
    Adam Steffen
    Hanna Scholz
    Chris Casler
    Scott Taylor
    Candy Walker
    Steve Strickland
    Christa Olsson (and Tyler and Maddy).

Next trail work weekend March 19, 20 & 21, hope to see you there, until then keep the rubber side down.

Richard Sweet
    Just the Pictures

The Shop

The Blog

Time To Ride,
    General Coonskins

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Great effort and report!

You'se guys have a great crew to draw upon down there. And being able to work with the FS and get credit is awesome. I hope to get into the GPNF this year for some official trail work too.
    Gen'l<--UdaMan!

bike ON

bob
    Meanwhile, the Stella Trails are Stellar! Did some touch up clearing this weekend, which means ya only have to duck half as much!

mtbr member

Way to keep it clean!

General,

Great to see you are keeping it clean up North. Someday I hope to visit.

I didn't see Shiggy or Sparti on that list?! What's with dat????!

Are you planning on heading to Sea Otter this year?

andy
    Always preach the Gospel; even if you need to use words.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy aka Rut
    General,

Great to see you are keeping it clean up North. Someday I hope to visit.

I didn't see Shiggy or Sparti on that list?! What's with dat????!

Are you planning on heading to Sea Otter this year?

andy

Thanks for the words, won't be at Sea Otter this year-going on a 10 day solo tour. The Summer Ride Fest is happening July 15-18, you should drag a crew up for some awesome riding.

Shiggy and Sparty had prior comitments that kept them from the crew this weekend. Though they do their fair amount through the year and promise me they will be there in March.

Richard
    Just the Pictures

The Shop

The Blog

Time To Ride,
    General Coonskins

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by General Coonskins
    Thanks for the words, won't be at Sea Otter this year-going on a 10 day solo tour. The Summer Ride Fest is happening July 15-18, you should drag a crew up for some awesome riding.

Shiggy and Sparty had prior comitments that kept them from the crew this weekend. Though they do their fair amount through the year and promise me they will be there in March.

Richard
    Where ya headed?

JAK
    mtbr member

Wow, good work y'all!!

Now thats givin'er, eh?!
    Night has fallen.
    And there's nothin' we can do about it.

mtbr member

everywhere

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon
    Where ya headed?
    Doing the RAO route in 3 days, plus many more mountains.
    Just the Pictures

The Shop

The Blog

Time To Ride,
    General Coonskins

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by General Coonskins
    Doing the RAO route in 3 days, plus many more mountains.
    Cool. Out of curiosity where could I find a route listing for RAO? I'm always looking for different routes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    are you same day coming to san diego california? i will love to help

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Zombie thread wants Braaaiiiiiinnnnnsssss

since 4/10/2009
    did someone say braaaaiiinnnnssss?

Teen Wolf
    dude this thread is 7 years old