Trade-offs?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Trade-offs?

mtbr member

New question here. Trade-offs?

Your opinions please...

Would you give up a chromoly frame with big fatty 2.4's in the rear for a Ti frame with 2.2's? How much of a stiffer or softer ride would you get from the trade-off? I know weights would be different, but what other pro's and con's are there??

Thanks

Cubicle Fugitive
    I have 2.6"/2.35" tires on my ss Ti hardtail, and generally tend to go with the biggest tires possible. That said, I am riding many of the same trails on 37C tires at 30-40 psi on my SS steel CX bike and it really isn't that bad (not "bad" at all really). I can and have put a 2.1" 29er in the front and a 44C in the back, and it rides nice, but the 37C's are so much lighter and the rideability drop is so minimal that the bigger tires don't seem worth it most of the time. Both bikes have rigid steel forks.

Obviously 2.2's are still massive compared to 37C's and if the Ti frame saves significant weight (on top of the smaller tires likely saving weight), I know what my descision would be.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Depends on the specific frames. Too many other variables that affect the fit/ride/performance.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

I am the owl
    I take it you are basing your decision to switch frames primarily on the material they are made of (I'm assuming both fit you properly). I personally would not give up the larger tire clearance, especially if you are happy with the ride of the steel frame.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    I'd give up both of those frames to ride an aluminum 29er that could only accomodate 2.1's. It would ride better than both 26" bikes and might even be as comfy.

Cubicle Fugitive

Good point.

I believe that part of the reason the 700x37Cs seem like so small a compromise is because of the bigger wheel size.

mtbr member

Wink Just lookin....

Nah...I'm really not looking to get another frame. I was just wondering how the difference between the two metals compare. My steel Vicious fits and feels great! Just sometimes wondering what all the hype of a Ti frame is about. Besides how could you get a cool paint job like mine and cover up that pretty titanium?

Members who have read this thread: 0