Track hub spacing- Mtbr.com
    Tool

New question here. Track hub spacing

Is there any reason not to space my Formula track hub (120 mm) to 135 mm for SS? Is the standard chainline for SS the same as most track setups?

I had the hubs laced to some CR18s for heavy duty use, but I don't use them anymore, and now I'm thinking about getting a KM or Mariachi to get some use out of the wheels.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    You'll need a shorter bottom bracket spindle but it would work as long as the chainring you choose to run clears the stays. Chainline is like 40-42mm with a 120mm hub, but it goes out to 52mm for a 135mm SS/fixed hub. Basically you're doing a track setup on a mountain bike. The only problem I can really see is if you have a 73mm BB shell. Then you might not be able to get everything tight enough. Otherwise as long as you pick the correct components you should have no problems.

FTM
    I doubt you'd be able to get a 32t chainring in the 6mm or so you would need for a good chainline, the chainstays will most likely get in the way. You could try to respace the axles asymetrically so the drive side gives you a better chainline and then dish the wheel accordingly.

Members who have read this thread: 0